Caliper paint spreading

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 12:29 PM
itshere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caliper paint spreading

Hi All -

Over a month ago, I painted my calipers gold colour, let it dry, all that jazz but its still spreading all over my rotors in 2 places ( in the picture the black arrow is whats constantly yellow now, which should be silver..annoying because I cant remove it now unless i dig deep and clean it with rubbing alcohol) and the red arrow is the result when I dont drive ( once i drive it goes away) but still... why is the paint still spreading? its been over a month.

I bough the Canadian tire caliper paint VHT that was recommended..

Any thoughts?

Last edited by itshere; 11-26-2018 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Adding Picture
Old 11-26-2018, 03:44 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Post your question in the Tech/Brakes and Suspension forum.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:55 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
I cant tell from the pictures with all that water on the rotor in the pictures, but it just looks like rust, which is normal to build up after not driving the car for a while (even a day or few hours depending on the carbon content of the rotors and any coating).

If there is paint actually coming off the caliper, its most likely because you didn't prep the surface properly or you didn't cure the paint properly (high heat paint usually need to be cured by applying high heat) or both

If its just heat curing you can try to drive the car in a way to get the brakes hot enough like when you bed in brake pads...otherwise you need to clean and sand/rough up the calipers and repaint...
The following users liked this post:
JohnnysG (11-27-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 05:29 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
I agree with Hashim. It looks like normal surface rust which is very common after a car has not been driven for a period of time. The part of the rotor marked with the black arrow shows where the pad DOES NOT come into contact with the rotor, hence why it never gets scraped "silver." (Which is why I painted my rotor hats).
Old 11-27-2018, 06:29 AM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
Agreed with others. That is typical rust.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:53 AM
itshere

Originally Posted by Hashim
I cant tell from the pictures with all that water on the rotor in the pictures, but it just looks like rust, which is normal to build up after not driving the car for a while (even a day or few hours depending on the carbon content of the rotors and any coating).

If there is paint actually coming off the caliper, its most likely because you didn't prep the surface properly or you didn't cure the paint properly (high heat paint usually need to be cured by applying high heat) or both

If its just heat curing you can try to drive the car in a way to get the brakes hot enough like when you bed in brake pads...otherwise you need to clean and sand/rough up the calipers and repaint...
This is not rust at all. These are brand new rotors and brakes, it was replaced last month. The paint from the calipers is on both the red and black arrows.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:59 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Rotors can rust a day after you install them, as was mentioned it depends on the rotors carbon content and any coatings....ones with no coating (which yours look they aren't coated) will usually rust within a week or two of installation (even faster if it rains) which is why others (i.e. ILM-NC G37S above) mentioned painting the hats before installing them.

Do you have better pictures, as I said above its hard to see any detail in those pictures because of the water all over them.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:14 AM
itshere

Rotors can rust a day after you install them, as was mentioned it depends on the rotors carbon content and any coatings....ones with no coating (which yours look they aren't coated) will usually rust within a week or two of installation (even faster if it rains) which is why others (i.e. ILM-NC G37S above) mentioned painting the hats before installing them.

Do you have better pictures, as I said above its hard to see any detail in those pictures because of the water all over them.
Actually, these rotors are coated. No other pics, but I can zoom in to show you. In order for me to remove the red circle area ( i can use rubbing alcohol or simply a cloth, if it was rust i wouldn't be able to) its simply the paint from the calipers. whats on top gets clean once you drive but when you stop for a few hours, thats the result.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:03 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
OP give it up. Its not paint.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:48 AM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Agreed 100%
Old 11-27-2018, 01:48 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
It is not paint. My car has been sitting for a mere 6 hours and my rotors look identical to yours. My calipers are black.

You could simply wipe off the rust with a wet cloth, you don't even need alcohol.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:00 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
OP wont accept it is rust. Ok, but are the calipers dry? If so then where would the wet paint be coming from? Do the rotors look the same when it is not raining and not humid? Also what brand rotors are they?
Old 11-30-2018, 02:24 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
the caliper and rust is not even the same color lol