Has anyone tried the Z1 Front Upper Control Arms (FUCA)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 08:28 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by zer099
EMail records show mid-2016.
Thanks. I was hoping that my parts did not need an upgrade.

That being said I am going to take the control arms apart today, put teflon grease on all of the spherical ball joints and thicker grease between the cone shaped spacers. I am also going to use locktite on the rear mounting bolts. Hopefully, this fixes all the noise. Strangely it seems to be coming mostly from the passenger side. It has also become much more noticeable now that I have switched back to my larger summer tires with stiffer sidewalls.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:18 AM
Boris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah just got the Z1 FUCA’s and I’m SUPER disappointed! They’re just garbage really, Adjusting them is just 🙄 not to mention dont hit a little tiny pothole or else back to the alignment shop you go, the damn things rattle and make all kinds of crazy noises as you drive down the street and forget about doing a drop on your car
Old 03-12-2020, 09:57 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
I've had mine on for 6 months now and have no complaints. Mine had grease zerks so maybe that's different than the model you received? I have no noise up front.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:03 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
I've had mine on for 6 months now and have no complaints. Mine had grease zerks so maybe that's different than the model you received? I have no noise up front.
I have the race version which I believe are lacking the zerk fittings. They were really loud initially and kept coming lose, but it turns out it was because my tech left my sway bar endlink lose after doing an alignment. Once I tracked that down they have been quiet and work well. They do suck to do an alignment though because you have to completely disconnect them to make adjustments.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:50 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Yea, The shop I took them to for alignment weren't exactly thrilled with the design..
Old 03-13-2020, 11:18 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Yea, The shop I took them to for alignment weren't exactly thrilled with the design..
That is an understatement, if ever there was one.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:56 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by adammickel
About a year and a half ago, one of the Stillen adjustable front upper control arms (FUCAs) that were on my Z when I bought it off my mechanic snapped when I hit a nasty pothole. After doing some research, and upon the recommendation of Seb at Specialty Z, I ended up buying and installing a pair of Z1 Motorsport Adjustable FUCA - street version. Their whole selling point was that they made the perfect adjustable FUCAs that address all of the shortcomings of the stock and other aftermarket options.
And how do you like them? My Z1 race FUCA's have been good since I got the alignment dialed in and tightened everything up.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:47 PM
g35boii

Hey i have a g35 coupe and recently installed the z1 track FUCA. I hear a lot of creaks and noises coming from them. Does anyone know what could be wrong??
Old 09-14-2020, 05:04 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by g35boii
Hey i have a g35 coupe and recently installed the z1 track FUCA. I hear a lot of creaks and noises coming from them. Does anyone know what could be wrong??
More than likely the adjustment nuts or bolts that secure them to the car (most likely the bolts) have come loose. That happened to me a few times. Also make sure you have good lube on all the moving parts. Check your sway bar and end links too.

I had a technician I trusted install the FUCA's because I knew he would have to do the alignment too and I thought it would make the alignment easier for him, but he screwed everything up. He installed one of the FUCA's upside down and left everything loose including the end link on my driver's side. How the hell he thought all that noise was normal after he drove it is beyond me. This is why I usually do all of my own work.
Old 12-21-2020, 03:31 PM
Costco Hotdog
Registered Member

I've had the street version installed on my coupe for about half a year now. No real issues besides squeaks over bumps, however I can't tell for sure if that's from the FUCAs or my coilovers. I guess I've learned to deal with the squeaks as my SPL endlinks make an even louder racket (dunno how people recommend them for daily drivers).

There were a lot of issues with these FUCAS when they first released, the first couple batches that came out in 2016 had design flaws where the balljoint would tear off. I do believe Z1 has revised the design of these FUCA's around 2018, I'm running smooth for now. They're a good deal considering how expensive it is to lower this platform properly.

EDIT: Finally replaced my SPL endlinks with whitelines. Crashing noise is still there, FUCA's are definitely the culprit here. Read a post on G35driver about a similar issue someone else is having. Going to regrease the FUCA chassis mounts and report back.
Old 12-21-2020, 04:37 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

I pumped an obscene amount of grease into them when I first installed mine and never had an issue with noise. The noise could be a number of things unfortunately. Did you install the FUCAs at the same time as the coilovers? I had noise in the back of my car after installing coilovers and it was a pre-load mistake on my part.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:06 PM
Costco Hotdog
Registered Member

Coilovers went on first, followed by the FUCA's a week after. We've narrowed it down to the FUCAs as we've pretty much refreshed the whole front end trying to narrow this problem down. Preload was one of the first things that was checked once the noise came on following the install of the arms.

Although now I'm suspecting that the chassis mounts may be coming loose again..
Old 12-21-2020, 05:15 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Costco Hotdog
I've had the street version installed on my coupe for about half a year now. No real issues besides squeaks over bumps, however I can't tell for sure if that's from the FUCAs or my coilovers. I guess I've learned to deal with the squeaks as my SPL endlinks make an even louder racket (dunno how people recommend them for daily drivers).

There were a lot of issues with these FUCAS when they first released, the first couple batches that came out in 2016 had design flaws where the balljoint would tear off. I do believe Z1 has revised the design of these FUCA's around 2018, I'm running smooth for now. They're a good deal considering how expensive it is to lower this platform properly.

EDIT: Finally replaced my SPL endlinks with whitelines. Crashing noise is still there, FUCA's are definitely the culprit here. Read a post on G35driver about a similar issue someone else is having. Going to regrease the FUCA chassis mounts and report back.
That seems odd that your SPL endlinks were making noise. I have SPL endlinks and the only time they made noise was when one was loose. That is the same reason the FUCA's make noise. It is very easy for them to become lose where they attach to the inside of the fenders. I had to get them very tight and I may have even used locktite to keep them from making noise. That was probably about a year ago and they have been silent every since. I have the race version too and everyone says they are loud. I also make sure to lube all of the spherical bearings on the FUCA's and end links with good quality teflon grease. My suspension is silent. Hopefully, it is as simple as one of the things I mentioned. Good luck!
Old 12-21-2020, 05:32 PM
Costco Hotdog
Registered Member

Appreciate the advice, this gives me hope that I'll be able to resolve my Frankenstein of a daily driver.

Where and how exactly did you apply the locktite?
Old 12-21-2020, 07:45 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Costco Hotdog
Appreciate the advice, this gives me hope that I'll be able to resolve my Frankenstein of a daily driver.

Where and how exactly did you apply the locktite?
The bolt threads that attach the FUCA's to the car in the fender.

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried the Z1 Front Upper Control Arms (FUCA)?