Need new rotors at 45k?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 10:49 PM
misc
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Need new rotors at 45k?

I'm getting some brake judder and noise while braking at mid to higher speeds....i'm only at 45k m?iles but does this sound like rotors? I was going to change pads soon but if the rotors need it, will go ahead and do those as well. If so, what are some good suggestions for rotors? I'd prefer something a little better than oem, but nothing too expensive, I dont track the car or anything like that, just city driving.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:31 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Find a section of road where you can reach 60 mph. Slam on the brakes and come almost to a complete stop. Accelerate back to 60 mph and repeat three to five times. This should remove the judder.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:01 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I tried that and while it helped, the judder kept coming back. Turning the rotors only fixed it for 5-8k miles, did it 3x. At 70k I replaced the rotors and pads with Centric parts from RockAuto and couldn't be happier. The daily driver kits are all you need unless you get on it heavily often. Brakes are really smooth now. I took the four rotors and pads to a garage and they installed them for about $150. Could have done it myself but at 59 by back isn't what it used to be.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:58 AM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
I tried that and while it helped, the judder kept coming back. Turning the rotors only fixed it for 5-8k miles, did it 3x. At 70k I replaced the rotors and pads with Centric parts from RockAuto and couldn't be happier. The daily driver kits are all you need unless you get on it heavily often. Brakes are really smooth now. I took the four rotors and pads to a garage and they installed them for about $150. Could have done it myself but at 59 by back isn't what it used to be.
Hey TinsleyC , I am at 100k and up for brakes but have the sports and planning on same route- centric rotors with stoptech pads etc, at least from reading , that seems a good combo..but my question is regarding bedding brakes, did you perform this process after brakes? or just drove it normally after etc...just curious on that as i read different takes on this so getting more info..thanks
Old 09-28-2018, 10:18 AM
Carboy37
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by G37sPhoton
Hey TinsleyC , I am at 100k and up for brakes but have the sports and planning on same route- centric rotors with stoptech pads etc, at least from reading , that seems a good combo..but my question is regarding bedding brakes, did you perform this process after brakes? or just drove it normally after etc...just curious on that as i read different takes on this so getting more info..thanks

I run the Stoptech Sport Pad/Centric Rotor combo for the G37x. Still linear pedal travel but bites a little harder.

I followed this bedding procedure from Zeckhausen Racing:
  1. From 60mph, gently apply the brakes a couple of times to bring them up to operating temperature. This prevents you from thermally shocking the rotors and pads in the next steps.
  2. Make eight to ten near-stops from 60mph to about 20 mph. Do it HARD by pressing the brakes firmly, but do not lock the wheels or engage ABS. At the end of each slowdown, immediately accelerate back to 60mph, then apply the brakes again. DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP! If you stop completely, with your foot on the brake pedal, pad material will be imprinted onto the hot rotors, which could lead to vibration and uneven braking.
  3. The brakes may begin to fade after the 7th or 8th near-stop. This fade will stabilize, but not completely go away until the brakes have fully cooled. A strong smell from the brakes, and even some smoke, is normal.
  4. After the last near-stop, accelerate back up to speed and cruise for a few minutes, using the brakes as little as possible to allow them to cool down. Try not to become trapped in traffic or come to a complete stop while the brakes are still hot.
  5. If full race pads, such as Hawk DTC-70 or Performance Friction PFC11 are being used, add four near-stops from 80 to 20 mph.
I did up to 12 times as a preference; if you do ever experience brake judder, just repeat the bed-in procedure as it seems this combo cleans off so much better than OEM.

StopTech Stock Brake System Bed-in
The following 2 users liked this post by Carboy37:
Baadnewsburr (09-28-2018), G37sPhoton (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 10:32 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Carboy37
I run the Stoptech Sport Pad/Centric Rotor combo for the G37x. Still linear pedal travel but bites a little harder.

I followed this bedding procedure from Zeckhausen Racing:
  1. From 60mph, gently apply the brakes a couple of times to bring them up to operating temperature. This prevents you from thermally shocking the rotors and pads in the next steps.
  2. Make eight to ten near-stops from 60mph to about 20 mph. Do it HARD by pressing the brakes firmly, but do not lock the wheels or engage ABS. At the end of each slowdown, immediately accelerate back to 60mph, then apply the brakes again. DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP! If you stop completely, with your foot on the brake pedal, pad material will be imprinted onto the hot rotors, which could lead to vibration and uneven braking.
  3. The brakes may begin to fade after the 7th or 8th near-stop. This fade will stabilize, but not completely go away until the brakes have fully cooled. A strong smell from the brakes, and even some smoke, is normal.
  4. After the last near-stop, accelerate back up to speed and cruise for a few minutes, using the brakes as little as possible to allow them to cool down. Try not to become trapped in traffic or come to a complete stop while the brakes are still hot.
  5. If full race pads, such as Hawk DTC-70 or Performance Friction PFC11 are being used, add four near-stops from 80 to 20 mph.
I did up to 12 times as a preference; if you do ever experience brake judder, just repeat the bed-in procedure as it seems this combo cleans off so much better than OEM.

StopTech Stock Brake System Bed-in
This is exactly right. I like to 10-12 runs to be safe too and even do a low speed reverse bed a few days later...

I also try to cruise around for about 15-20 mins on roads/highways with little braking required to let them cool gradually after...

The following 2 users liked this post by Baadnewsburr:
Carboy37 (09-28-2018), G37sPhoton (09-28-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 12:17 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by G37sPhoton
I read on Centric's site that bedding wasn't needed, but I kinda did it myself, anyway. After I left the garage I drove gently, then got up to about 60 and braked moderately to 5 mph, then repeated it 2 more times. Pressure was applied slowly but firmly, and released the same way. It was smooth through the process but not really sure if it accomplished anything. Made me feel better, though.
The following users liked this post:
G37sPhoton (10-01-2018)