Help Newbie trying to get a better suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 11:00 PM
Oscargoddard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie trying to get a better suspension

hi everyone

I bought a 2012 g37 journey from auto auctions. The car had an accident at the back and I got it repaired. This is how I buy cars for the past 3-4 years because it is a lot cheaper this way. If anyone interested I can explain and make price comparison.

I am not an expert or something. I just can locate and understand the problems in my cars. I am not a native English speaker so sometimes I have trouble with understanding the expert reviews. So please explain in detail.

Comfort is more important to me than look. I generally just change interior and exterior lightings to white, apply a vinyl wrap on the roof and between exhaust tips to make it look like a diffuser and have quality parts for my cars.

Since I bought it I got it repaired at the body shop. Replaced the rotors and pads DIY. Did the engine oil change, power steering fluid change and brake fluid change on my own. So far there is just one obvious thing to change which is the analog clock on the dash because LED behind it is not working.

My question is after having BMW 535i, Mercedes e350, Lexus es350, and Acura TSX finally decided to get an infiniti. However I am not satisfied with handling. I am not talking about tires, wheels or alignment. Every time I take a corner body roll is much more than I expected. My suspensions are not in a great shape but they are not bad either. So I am thinking of getting new struts, springs or whatever you call those things.

and also if you have any advice feel free to share

Any idea would be appreciated!

Last edited by Oscargoddard; 07-23-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:13 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Start with larger sway bars. Hotchkis and Eibach are the two popular brands for the V36 platform. They make impressive improvements in feel and handling.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:29 PM
Oscargoddard

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Start with larger sway bars. Hotchkis and Eibach are the two popular brands for the V36 platform. They make impressive improvements in feel and handling.
do you have any suggestions about the struts, springs?

also I want to my caster camber and toe to be in oem range
Old 07-24-2018, 02:05 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Lowering the car more than an inch will usually require adjustable upper control arms in the front and camber and toe arms in the rear.

I'm not a fan of lowering springs, they are primarily for show. There are MANY choices for coil-overs, check out the stickied RWD coil-over redux thread in this forum. There is another thread where some have reviewed their coil-over choices. Also check out the Review/Brakes & Suspension forum for individual reviews.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:07 AM
Oscargoddard

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Lowering the car more than an inch will usually require adjustable upper control arms in the front and camber and toe arms in the rear.

I'm not a fan of lowering springs, they are primarily for show. There are MANY choices for coil-overs, check out the stickied RWD coil-over redux thread in this forum. There is another thread where some have reviewed their coil-over choices. Also check out the Review/Brakes & Suspension forum for individual reviews.
ok I will definitely check them out. What do you guys think about replacing all 4 struts and springs instead of coilovers? Do you have any brand and type suggestions?
Old 07-24-2018, 05:58 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Oscargoddard

ok I will definitely check them out. What do you guys think about replacing all 4 struts and springs instead of coilovers? Do you have any brand and type suggestions?

Koni shocks are a great upgrade over OE. You could pair them with OE springs, or your lowering springs of choice. If you stick with Eibach/Swift springs, you can likely get by without swapping to adjustable camber/toe components.

I personally shy away from the cheap Chinese and Taiwanese made coilovers, but that's just my opinion.

As slartibartfast said, swaybars are the biggest bang for your buck.

What wheels/tires are you running?
Old 07-24-2018, 09:04 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
There is this Nismo kit, wish someone here would try it
If not I may be the one since I'm getting close to my coilovers lifespan
https://www.cheapestfactoryparts.com...RoCr1AQAvD_BwE
Old 07-25-2018, 02:54 AM
Oscargoddard

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Koni shocks are a great upgrade over OE. You could pair them with OE springs, or your lowering springs of choice. If you stick with Eibach/Swift springs, you can likely get by without swapping to adjustable camber/toe components.

I personally shy away from the cheap Chinese and Taiwanese made coilovers, but that's just my opinion.

As slartibartfast said, swaybars are the biggest bang for your buck.

What wheels/tires are you running?

i am running on Kenei rims 18” Part number is D0300JK310. Tires are yokohoma something sport as I remember.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:56 AM
Oscargoddard

Originally Posted by blnewt
There is this Nismo kit, wish someone here would try it
If not I may be the one since I'm getting close to my coilovers lifespan
https://www.cheapestfactoryparts.com...RoCr1AQAvD_BwE
these will be so sporty as I understand. I do not want to loose on comfort
Old 07-25-2018, 02:59 AM
Oscargoddard

I am now considering to buy KYB Gr2. What do you guys say about it? Will it be so meaningless to change them this way?

i found struts and shocks for all 4 wheels 249.55 shipped. My mechanic quoted me about 230 for installment.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:45 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Those will be similar to your OEM set, so a good choice if you don't want any really noticeable differences.