Thinking through "best" AWD coilover

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 10:16 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts
Thinking through "best" AWD coilover

I vacillated whether to start a new thread or post within the plethora of coilover threads that already exist, however my quest doesn't quite fit all that is out there. I also realize "best" is pretty subjective but bear with me.

I've spent a hours pouring through the wide array of information both on this forum and related links (Ape Factory & Slartibartfast, 350z forums have been quite helpful) I've gained a much greater understanding and appreciation of coilovers in general and more importantly the factors to be considered when purchasing them.

All that having been said (and read) I find myself struggling with what direction to go as the AWD options are considerably limited when compared to that of RWD formats.

For sake of reference my current suspension consists of OEM shocks (67k), Swift Springs (40k), SPC Upper A-Arms, SPL Rear Camber Arms, & Hotchkis Sways Front & Rear. My G was my DD, so for that purpose this setup was ideal. Its now become my second car and therefore I'd like to iron out some of the weak points and make it for a more fun weekend driver (maybe see a track at some point but not a high priority presently). I'd like to feel more planted especially through turns (both sharp/hard & long/sweeping). I live in PA so I have to be mindful of generally terrible roads so theres a fine line between "stiffened suspension" and "bring a helmet and a sense of humor". Fiscally speaking I'm not afraid of budgeting more for a quality product that is going to give desired result.

Additionally there is the ever on-going debate between True & OEM style. I don't necessarily want to launch another extensive discussion about the pros and cons of this other than to say, it would seem very generally speaking, anecdotally for street use and/or for periodic use on the track, True coilovers are: probably fine.

That all leads me to a few brands I've considered:

Fortune 500: About a year or two ago was probably first on my list, price was higher than the rest but seemed to have all good reviews. Then some of the clunking noise complaints surfaced which has given me hesitation, but it is an OEM style setup.

Stance: Something started to draw me toward the setup I think it was actually the true-style, my complete lack of knowledge at the time just gave me a "that must be better" feeling along with wondering if that would eliminate mystery clunking noise issues that seem to surface with OEM style.

Feal: There are some newer positive reviews for AWD and I was starting to lean toward this setup but since they too are a true-coilover this is when I started to go full bore research..

I was hoping the research would make for an easier decision/choice but left me with more uncertainty. I'm not sure if limited anecdotal experience and "it'll probably be fine" is where I want to (or should) be, as it pertains to the true-style, which leaves with the question: Is my "best" option to go with the OEM style like Fortune 500 or does a setup/brand like Stance or Feal still outweigh OEM style just because of the lack of options?

I am completely open to other suggestions if you have them (unless its sell my G and get one in RWD, lol).
Old 07-09-2018, 01:32 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Aren't there five companies making AWD coil-overs? Or are you limiting your list to true-type?

Someone needs to do an AWD coil-over list.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:57 AM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Aren't there five companies making AWD coil-overs? Or are you limiting your list to true-type?

Someone needs to do an AWD coil-over list.
There are a few more companies:BC (OEM-type), Megan (OEM-type), K-Sport (True-Type), D2 (first glance True-type but I'll have to look more to be sure).

I'm not limiting to true-type (i.e. Fortune is OEM for AWD), just trying to determine how the limited options impact the ideal choice for my application.

If I can find the time I'd like to compile a spec list like you did for the RWD guys.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:35 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

You do it, we'll pin it.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:21 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

I've started to work on it some, using your framework as a template. I've also started watching the FatCat YouTube series which I'm finding extremely informative. I'm seeing what you meant in a prior thread about not being concerned about adjustment. It seems they really dial things in negating a need to adjust...I'm eager to keep watching so I can continue to formulate and articulate just what it is I want from my suspension.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:23 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I believe LegoManiac (IIRC) said that Koni can adapt their RWD coilovers for the lower AWD mount setup for the front shocks. That combined w/ a specific Swift spring might be worth considering, especially since you seem quite willing to do the legwork.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:20 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

You do it, we'll pin it.
Done. https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...ers-redux.html

Originally Posted by blnewt
I believe LegoManiac (IIRC) said that Koni can adapt their RWD coilovers for the lower AWD mount setup for the front shocks. That combined w/ a specific Swift spring might be worth considering, especially since you seem quite willing to do the legwork.
I think I do remember coming across that some time ago. I may have to give that some consideration. I sent an email to FatCat Motorsports to see if they can offer anything. They work exclusively with customizing Bilstein dampers, unfortunately Bilstein doesn't seem to produce anything for the X, so I'm interested on their response as Shaikh seems to be the ultimate "damper whisperer".
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 12:56 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
^Great write-up btw
Old 07-10-2018, 01:44 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Pinned it. Nice job.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:45 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Pinned it. Nice job.
Thanks!

As brief update on my quest: I got a response from Shaikh at FatCat Motorsports (email and voicemail) he has some thoughts about how to potentially work out a solution for the X. I'll leave everyone in suspense for now as I'm away on vacation and will have to take some pictures and do some measuring when I get back home next week.

Slarti...curious what made you go Meister as opposed to FCM? If I recall you had been looking pretty seriously in their direction. I know the cost is pretty significant given the level of customization but looks to result in a ideal damper/coilover.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:43 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Two reason I didn't select FatCat: Bilstein does not have preload separate from height control and cost ($3k vs $1k). Also, the U.S. MeisterR rep is local to me.