Help Advice choosing a brake kit

Old 07-02-2018, 10:59 AM
krazzyborri
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Advice choosing a brake kit

Hey all!!!

I'm looking for some advice in choosing a brake kit for my '13 S Coupe. I'm sold on getting a Stoptech kit, but I've just made myself dizzy reading all the configurations. I've boiled it down to 2 kits.

I'm torn between the Street Axle Pack (935.42013) and the Select Sport Axle Pack (925.42013). Both have different rotors and pads where the Street pack is a bit more aggressive. The Street pack has the 127 rotors coupled with the 105 pads and the Select has the 227 rotors coupled with the 301 pads.

My G is a daily"ish" driver (prob 4 days a week). I don't track the car, at times i'm a bit aggressive, but not obnoxious. I'm looking for a more bite than stock and i want to get rid of the shudder I have at high speeds...

Thoughts???
Old 07-02-2018, 02:38 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Have tried the Italian tune-up on the brakes yet?
Old 07-02-2018, 02:55 PM
krazzyborri
Registered Member

LOL... I don't drive it that infrequent!!!

I open it up on the highway; I love these florida roads!!! Especially coming from NY/NJ!
Old 07-02-2018, 07:13 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Your #1 Infiniti Vendor!

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Have the street axle pack in stock ready to ship..

Can't go wrong when they're popular!

-Josh
Old 07-02-2018, 10:25 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Find a deserted section of highway, run up to 60 mph and jam on the brakes hard. Rinse and repeat five or six times. This will remove uneven pad deposits that usually cause brake pulsation.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:18 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Find a deserted section of highway, run up to 60 mph and jam on the brakes hard. Rinse and repeat five or six times. This will remove uneven pad deposits that usually cause brake pulsation.
Would be more fun of you do this while filming with gopro in front of the police department. But this method will clear debris you can also use pressure nozzle like at the coin car washes and spray directly between the rotor and pad
Old 07-03-2018, 10:35 AM
krazzyborri
Registered Member

Ive actually taken the pads off before and cleaned the deposits off by hand. I've found a ton of debris in the center groove of the pad that I had to chisel away with a plastic scraper. That did help previously(a few years ago), but this time no joy...
Old 07-03-2018, 12:56 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

The deposits are on the rotor, not the pad, and a water hose aint gonna do a thing in that regard.
The following users liked this post:
krazzyborri (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 10:43 PM
krazzyborri
Registered Member

Good to know! Ill give it a shot tomorrow!
Old 07-03-2018, 10:48 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Do 60-20 or something like that, don't come to a complete stop doing it and make sure you keep driving for a while to let everything cool down before coming to a stop after. Pressure washer/manual cleaning won't do anything. Assuming you've owned this for a few years, has your brake light come on to tell you the pads are low yet?
Old 07-04-2018, 09:23 AM
krazzyborri
Registered Member

Yup will do.... Sounds like the bedding procedure just a bit more aggressive... This is my 3rd G and ive had this one for a little over 2 years. I love the car! Shes easy to work on, she moves when I want her to and shes pretty!!! LOL.... I havent gotten the brake light yet. I inspect my vehicles regularly and stay proactive with the maintenance.

The first issue I had with the brakes was when I first bought this G. when I lightly pressed the brakes at around 80 i would get a light shudder. Anything below 80 was zero shudder. I pulled the pads off and found the slot in the middle of the pads heavily caked with brake dust. I scraped it out, cleaned the brakes and relubed the pins. The shudder was gone and brakes were perfect. About 3 months ago the shudder started to come back. I jumped right into the pads but they were pretty clean. I cleaned it anyway and relubed everything, but the shudder continued. As of today, its gotten progressively worse. I now feel the shudder at about 40 when I hit the brakes. The pads have about 1/4 life left. I dont mind changing them out now and upgrading while im at it... I will try the "italian tune-up" tho... Maybe it will buy me some time.

Appreciate the feedback!!!!
Old 07-10-2018, 08:26 AM
krazzyborri
Registered Member

Did the Italian tuneup... Same issues... Gonna pull the trigger on the street axle pack.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:59 AM
1scG37s
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Lots of great content in this thread! My 2 cents:

Buying brakes is really a personal preference and comes down to how you drive. From what OP posted: " Never tracked just commute. I'm looking for good bite, quiet, long-lasting, especially rotors resistant to warping." I could say, I'm a fan of the Akebono proACTs with new blank rotors. The bite is there once it warms up a bit (usually the first few stops getting out of my community onto the main road). It has a good balance and is essentially an upgraded OEM pad.

I currently run Stoptech Slotted Cryo-treated rotors because I wanted something that wouldn't warp or cracked, help clean off the brake dust, and it has some science behind it for longevity. As for pads, I swap between Stoptech Sport pads and Akebono ProACTs. depending on how I'll be driving. During the summertime I know I'll be a bit harder on the brakes since it's sunny and I'm prone to a bit of spirited driving, so I run the Stoptech Sport pads. They bite hard but produce a LOT of brake dust, are a bit loud when cold, and do wear a bit quicker. In the fall / rainy season, I run the Akebono ProACT and drive the car more luxuriously and enjoy just cruising - No need to be driving hard in the rain, especially in WA traffic.