Help Coil Over Install - Difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 12:29 PM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Coil Over Install - Difficult?

So I bought the Tein Flex Basis Z Coil overs from RCA for an amazing $444 SHIPPED!! They still have them at that price BTW so I thought I'd share

Anyhow, I need to install them and my adjustable rear LCAs. Is this a hard "driveway" job or is it reasonable to do? Anything I need to be aware of or prepared for? The car was in Texas before I had it shipped up to NC so there shouldn't be too many (if any) rusted bolt issues. The last suspension change I did was to my W210 Mercedes - totally different set up

Lastly, Anyone in or really close to Charlotte willing to assist me? I can add Beer and pizza or wings to the deal
Old 04-30-2018, 02:50 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by r2dmax
So I bought the Tein Flex Basis Z Coil overs from RCA for an amazing $444 SHIPPED!! They still have them at that price BTW so I thought I'd share

Anyhow, I need to install them and my adjustable rear LCAs. Is this a hard "driveway" job or is it reasonable to do? Anything I need to be aware of or prepared for? The car was in Texas before I had it shipped up to NC so there shouldn't be too many (if any) rusted bolt issues. The last suspension change I did was to my W210 Mercedes - totally different set up

Lastly, Anyone in or really close to Charlotte willing to assist me? I can add Beer and pizza or wings to the deal

This is an easy driveway job to do. I've done the g37 suspension install probably 20 + times between my roomate and I's old g37. There is a ton of tutorials and even YouTube videos. Having a 2nd set of hands makes things a lot easier.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:08 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Don't forget to get an alignment immediately after install
Old 04-30-2018, 10:02 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Elongating the toe slot is the only thing that is a bit out of the ordinary auto "wrench work" that this DIY entails. Also the front lower shock mount bolt can be a bit tough, best if you have a 19 or 21mm open end wrench (don't remember the exact size) to back up the nut on that one, makes breaking it pretty easy IME.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:37 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I’d rate the difficulty of this job objectively as I can as “moderate”. Be prepared by knowing what you’re going to do, have all of the tools present, and if you are able to get a second person to help it goes quicker.

Having air tools makes a ton of difference.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:59 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
I did not install mine, so not sure what it will entail, but I'd be up for turning wrenches depending on when you plan on doing it.

Last edited by Entcee; 05-01-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:55 PM
r2dmax

Originally Posted by blnewt
Elongating the toe slot is the only thing that is a bit out of the ordinary auto "wrench work" that this DIY entails. Also the front lower shock mount bolt can be a bit tough, best if you have a 19 or 21mm open end wrench (don't remember the exact size) to back up the nut on that one, makes breaking it pretty easy IME.
Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by NealP
Don't forget to get an alignment immediately after install
I will probably let them settle a bit 1st, but definitely shortly after the install

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I’d rate the difficulty of this job objectively as I can as “moderate”. Be prepared by knowing what you’re going to do, have all of the tools present, and if you are able to get a second person to help it goes quicker.

Having air tools makes a ton of difference.
I don't have air tools but I do plan on having a second person

Originally Posted by Entcee
I did not install mine, so not sure what it will entail, but I'd be up for turning wrenches depending on when you plan on doing it.
I appreciate the offer. I'm hoping to get someone more familiar with the job than me. It should help if there's something I'm unaware of
Old 05-01-2018, 03:21 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
No worries, completely understand.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:35 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Do you have the tools to do this? Garage would be preferable to a driveway, just to get out of the sun

Locally, I'd recommend this place for an alignment:

https://www.zuffenhaus.us/eurowerks/
Old 05-01-2018, 04:18 PM
r2dmax

I do have a garage and my driveway is flat. I believe I have all but the 19mm open ended wrench, but I can get that. Hand tool, not air though.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:28 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

I did multiple springs/shock installs with hand tools, as long as you have 1/2" drive you'll be fine.

I'd help, but I don't have a free weekend until mid June.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:27 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
cracking the suspension bolts are the hardest parts. i freaking hate it. i hate it so much id rather pay my friend at his shop to do the work. esp the godzilla bottom shock nut. it gives me the chills. if you can get that off esp without damaging the bolt ur install is not going anywhere lol so maybe i would do that nut first since its the hardest so then u dont waste ur time
Old 05-01-2018, 09:42 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by saywat?
cracking the suspension bolts are the hardest parts. i freaking hate it. i hate it so much id rather pay my friend at his shop to do the work. esp the godzilla bottom shock nut. it gives me the chills. if you can get that off esp without damaging the bolt ur install is not going anywhere lol so maybe i would do that nut first since its the hardest so then u dont waste ur time
Wrench + jack
Old 05-02-2018, 09:28 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Wrench + jack
+ 1 on this. Take the tension off the bolt and it'll pop right off. One tip to do this is to disconnect your swaybar endlink from the swaybar on the side you're working on ...makes it a million times easier to move the LCA
Old 05-02-2018, 10:51 AM
r2dmax

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Wrench + jack
Originally Posted by saywat?
Originally Posted by Hashim
+ 1 on this. Take the tension off the bolt and it'll pop right off. One tip to do this is to disconnect your swaybar endlink from the swaybar on the side you're working on ...makes it a million times easier to move the LCA
See! Why aren't you guys closer... lol.

Thanks for the advice. I will keep it all in mind

Quick Reply: Help Coil Over Install - Difficult?