Help Struggling to lower my g

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 05:15 PM
rocketmanroshan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Struggling to lower my g

Hey guys, I own an 08 g37 sport coupe with over 100k mikes. Im planning on lowering it and getting some after market wheels but everyone I'm asking is giving me different answers. If someone can give me some solid answers that'd be great.

So I don't want to lower my car too much, maybe and inch and a half max because i still want it to be functional on city streets and not have to worry too much about a small speed bump or pot hole. I understand that with this process thats what will happen but im looking for the best possible sweet spot to be kind of aggressive but not to the point that ill damage my car when daily driving.
Also there come the question of whether to go with springs or coil-overs. A well known shop told me they that springs are the way to go and thats what they use on most high end cars even. He also said that no one has ever complained, he was swearing by spings. On the other hand everywhere ive done research they say coil-overs are the way to go and that springs are too bouncy.
I was leaning towards coil-overs because my current set up is over 100k and probably not doing too good so idk if putting springs would be that beneficial. I just want my ride to be comfortable and but a little stiff, not super bouncy. I also heard that coilovers, although at high speeds are fine, at low speeds you feel every little thing. Also another person told me that the ferradas he put on his q50 were the reason he was having a bad ride. When i suggested it might be his springs he said someone else he knows used the same springs on another car but used the stock wheels and it was a great ride.
SO....basically im asking springs vs. coilovers and which ones? As well as what to look for in after market rims and how to get the best ride quality.
Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 04-20-2018, 06:08 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Done right, any lowering of the car entails stiffer springs since the amount of travel has been reduced.

Lowering springs often are not done right causing the car to hit the bump stops more often. And if they are done right, the stock dampers are too soft. There's your bouncy ride.

Coil-overs can be had with any spring rate but out-of-the box most are biased towards comfort. In addition, many are built to a price point so they have unsophisticated damping. More bouncy ride.

I can't tell you which way to go, just that you get what you pay for.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:05 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site. Slartibart is our suspension guru

Only thing I would add is the Tein Basis Z would be a good choice if your budget is in the range of a spring install. Tein Basis Z are only a couple hundred more than springs and you'll have the benefit of exact height control and fresh dampers vs. a spring install on oem shocks that already have 100k miles on them. Tein Basis Z have softer spring rates vs. all other G coilovers so ride will be softer than most other aftermarket suspensions, but there are compromises. And they still won't be as comfort based as your current ride.