Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

Review Z1 Subframe Bushing Collars

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 02:31 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Extra half-hour of shop time versus two hours of your time...
but wheres the fun in that!
Old 05-09-2018, 02:47 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
When I was thirty, it was fun. Now that I'm sixty, not so much.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:51 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
When I was thirty, it was fun. Now that I'm sixty, not so much.
I feel ya...30 was nice, it was fun and I had lots of time to do stuff like this...it just hasn't gotten old for me yet...now I just don't have the time unless I spread things out...
Old 05-14-2018, 06:36 AM
The Pope
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
well...... had to go to this, as popcorn wasn't going to be enough to sustain me.....

<munching sounds and talking with food in mouth> uuuummmm..... <munch... munch....> any updates...... <slurp.....> on this? <burp!!!!!!!> Aaaaaahhhhh..... <munch.......munch>
Old 05-14-2018, 01:14 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Last Friday's track was entertaining...sort of. Between the subframe collars, diff bushings and new coil-overs, the car felt pretty snappy. The collars and diff bushings aren't obvious except that some transient softness is gone. It's a little more sure-footed under heavy braking, less wiggling.

There is a tad more impact harshness in the rear, noticeable but not objectionable.

Now, if only I had a 6MT...
Old 05-15-2018, 02:02 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Last Friday's track was entertaining...sort of. Between the subframe collars, diff bushings and new coil-overs, the car felt pretty snappy. The collars and diff bushings aren't obvious except that some transient softness is gone. It's a little more sure-footed under heavy braking, less wiggling.

There is a tad more impact harshness in the rear, noticeable but not objectionable.

Now, if only I had a 6MT...
That's good to hear about less wiggling under heavy braking. My tail was definitely moving around a bit coming down from 140 mph at Road America a few weeks ago. Subframe bushing collars and motor mounts are waiting to go on.

Did you do coil overs, subframe collars, and diff bushings all at once? I already have Tein Basis coilovers, Hotchkis sways, Moog endlinks, Z1 trans bushing and diff bushings installed. Think I will notice much difference?
Old 05-15-2018, 02:09 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Subframe collars were first, then later the diff bushings and coil-overs went on at the same time. I regret not being able to experience the diff bushings before adding the coil-overs.

I also have the VibraTechnics trans mount. It made the most difference in NVH. Not willing to add harder engine mounts. At least my driveshaft u-joints should last longer now that most of the drive line movement has be squelched.

As I wrote in my review, the subframe collars were hardly noticeably. However, that was the first stiffening of the rear. It may be more obvious to you since that's your last step.
The following 2 users liked this post by slartibartfast:
4DRZ (05-15-2018), The Pope (06-04-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 02:10 PM
The Pope
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
Hashim..... have you installed your set yet? Look forward to your review on these.

Slartibartfast..... now that you've had yours installed for a couple of weeks... any updates?
Old 05-30-2018, 02:39 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

I can report nothing obviously different. Maybe the traction control works a little harder at the track because the subframe bushes aren't absorbing some lateral inputs? I was invoking TC without bouncing over curbs, I guess both from the bushings and the new coil-overs.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:51 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
2 months and two trackdays on mine... and I've honestly forgotten they were there.

It's more just picking up slop that age has induced after 120,000 miles, and that's where it counts and makes the most difference. Newer cars that are driven less hard are unlikely to feel as much.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:56 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by bPChaos
It's more just picking up slop that age has induced after 120,000 miles, and that's where it counts and makes the most difference. Newer cars that are driven less hard are unlikely to feel as much.
I suspect you're right, that it makes a difference, but it's more pronounced of a difference if the bushings are old and weak. Good point.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:49 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I installed my Z1 rear subframe bushing inserts last weekend and yesterday I did a track day at Road America. The nice thing about them is that I noticed zero additional NVH, but keep in mind there is already more NVH in my car due to all the mods.

I would say if you just drive your car on the street, then you can probably skip this mod. Under normal street driving and even on twisty roads there is really no difference. Maybe at the limit of tire grip if you are really pushing the car you might notice a difference, but I would not recommend that on the street.

On the track the difference is still very subtle if any. I drove all day yesterday with the TCS off as I usually drive at the limit by feel. I think the back end was ever so slightly more responsive and predictable at the limit. Under threshold braking the back end seemed more stable, but that could also have been due to me changing my braking points and adding new Z1 2pc. rotors and switching to Carbotech XP12/10 brake pads.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:57 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Damn. That's two unimpressed reviews, from two members who road track their cars.

You didn't feel any improved throttle response, like this guy here on the Z forum?

Z1 Subframe Bushing Insert/Collar Review - Nissan 370Z Forum
Old 05-31-2018, 10:08 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Damn. That's two unimpressed reviews, from two members who road track their cars.

You didn't feel any improved throttle response, like this guy here on the Z forum?

Z1 Subframe Bushing Insert/Collar Review - Nissan 370Z Forum
Maybe just a touch if you are big into drag racing and that would make sense as it is one less thing to compress before the power gets transferred to the wheels. But I was also noticing slightly better throttle response from the lowered unsprung weight due to the Z1 2pc. rotors.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:43 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
I got the collars installed at the same time as the Whiteline diff bushing so I can't say what the difference is with just the collars. That said, I noticed a pretty big difference in once circumstance..... (I do feel a difference in every day driving, but I attribute that to the diff bushing).

There is a road that take fairly often. I turn right on this road from a light, and in the turn the asphalt is wavy. Before my install, the rear would bounce around a lot on this waviness and it felt pretty harsh. After the install, the rear does not bounce as much and it feels like the tires are on the ground more (or at least have more traction).

Quick Reply: Review Z1 Subframe Bushing Collars