DBA 4000 and 5000 Rotor Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 06:03 AM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
DBA 4000 and 5000 Rotor Experience?

Hello All, I was wondering if anyone can provide a review of their DBA 4000 T3 or DBA 5000 T3 rotors? If I recall correctly, the DBA 5000 T3 only fits the front and the DBA 4000 T3 only fits the rear.

My driving characteristics: I do not track or race my G. This is strictly for street and spirited driving.

What I Am Looking For: I warped my Akebono sports brake rotors twice now. I am looking for alternative rotors that will not sacrifice on performance and quality. I like to retain the kind of stopping power like the OEM Akebono sports brakes or better.

Other Suggestions: I am open to other suggestions if quality, performance and stopping powers are equal to or better than the OEM Akebono sports brakes.

Thank you all in advance.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:17 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Did you check your rotors for warpage with a run-out gauge? I bet you twenty bucks your rotors were not warped but afflicted with high spots of pad material.
The following users liked this post:
G37xS-Life (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 04:32 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Did you check your rotors for warpage with a run-out gauge? I bet you twenty bucks your rotors were not warped but afflicted with high spots of pad material.
Hello Slartibartfast. I did not since I do not have that tool. I had a local mechanic test drive the car and he said it was warped again. I am not sure if he actually measured it with a run-out gauge.

Let's assume you are right about the high spots of pad material, would repeat hard braking without coming to a full stop help remove it?
Old 05-24-2017, 05:25 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
FYI, different rotors typically do not affect stopping distance, as least not in the traditional sense. Lighter weight rotors would result in lower unsprung mass, which is the greatest feeling you would get from changing rotors.

Bedding them in again (repeat hard braking from x speed without fully stopping) may help, or it may make it worse. If that's the case, you can probably resurface them without too many issues (assuming you have enough rotor material left).

What pads are you currently running? Maybe pads with different bedding/material transfer properties would be your next step. I know my Stoptechs are good in terms of braking performance and heat tolerance, but the transfer layer isn't always perfect, so I currently have brake judder issues on my 2pc front rotors.
G37xS-Life (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 07:18 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bPChaos
FYI, different rotors typically do not affect stopping distance, as least not in the traditional sense. Lighter weight rotors would result in lower unsprung mass, which is the greatest feeling you would get from changing rotors.

Bedding them in again (repeat hard braking from x speed without fully stopping) may help, or it may make it worse. If that's the case, you can probably resurface them without too many issues (assuming you have enough rotor material left).

What pads are you currently running? Maybe pads with different bedding/material transfer properties would be your next step. I know my Stoptechs are good in terms of braking performance and heat tolerance, but the transfer layer isn't always perfect, so I currently have brake judder issues on my 2pc front rotors.
Hello bpChaos. Thanks for responding. I am currently running the OEM Akebono sports pads and rotors. I had them change out about 1.5 years ago by the dealer.

I am in the process of researching on what upgrades are available in terms of brake pads/rotors. Any recommendations? Stopping power and staying quiet is a must for me. I am thinking Hawk 5.0 or DBA XP650 pads or etc...

I guess I will try bedding them again and hopefully it won't make it worse.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:57 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
I just installed DBA 4000 Series D/S rotors with Hawk HPS 5.0 pads. It had been less than a month so I can not give a thorough review but so far this combination has been a drastic improvement over the stock components.

The DBA pads were not available when I bought the package (they are new releases) so I went with the Hawks. While they do not bite as hard when starting off cold, they will still stop the car on a dime and give you 9 cents change.

I do not track my car but do a lot of city stop-and-go. The OEM's just did not suffice- too much pad dusting and rotor/steering wheel juddering.

If I were you, I would see if the rotors are still good and, if so, have them turned (resurfaced) and install better pads. You can try rebedding them but that will be a temporary fix- if it helps at all.

Hopefully someone who has more mileage with DBA's can give a better opinion. So far I am very satisfied with them and the Hawks.
G37xS-Life (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 11:47 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Yeah, I think trying to save your OEM rotors w/ either cleaning them by hard braking and if that fails a machining then going w/ the Hawk HPS 5.0 is solid advice. If indeed there's excessive run-out and after machining will result in rotors that are under thickness spec then you might also consider the Centric Premium blanks, they are cost effective and an upgrade from OEM.

The Hawk 5.0s get some of the best reviews for a good street pad that bites hard without heavy brake dusting. Not all Infiniti brakes are available for the 5.0 pads so you're in luck running the Akebonos

Just be sure to follow Hawks bed-in steps to get the best performance from the new pads.