Need Rotor / Pad advice (coupe with Akebonos)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 10:21 AM
redwillow
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Rotor / Pad advice (coupe with Akebonos)

I have 2009 G37 coupe with the sport package, so I have the Akebono brakes. I don't track the car or typically brake hard with my driving style.

I'm looking to have my fronts upgraded now, see how I like it, then do the rears later.

It seems like the StopTech rotors are popular choice, so I'm leaning towards those in the drilled, just for the look. They are currently $97 from tirerack:
https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...num=128.34108R

For pads, I really want something that isn't going to squeak. I see a lot of people using and recommending the Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, but the ratings on tirerack show Centric Posi quiet ceramic pads to be the best for low noise:
https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resu...+Sport+Package

So, i'm really looking for some advise on which pads I should get to go with the Stoptech Rotors and any suggestions on where to order this stuff from.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:56 AM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
The posi quiets are indeed quiet. They are also very low dust. And cheap! I think they are about the perfect pad for a daily driver.
The following users liked this post:
redwillow (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 03:02 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
I wanted to replace the stock sport package rotors with drilled (look better) as well since I am hitting the 4/32nds point around 32k miles. My service writer of many years then told me that many have turned the stock rotors 1, even two times with no issues. I was also told that most make it to 40k+ on the factory sport brakes. In the end, I realized that it sEems tough to improve the factory sport brake setup.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:09 PM
SlateBlue G

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
If you want just regular daily use the Centric Posi quiet ceramic pads should be fine.
I ran 2 sets of hawks HPS because I like the bite, however when it's cold it doesn't stop as good.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:55 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by SlateBlue G
If you want just regular daily use the Centric Posi quiet ceramic pads should be fine.
I ran 2 sets of hawks HPS because I like the bite, however when it's cold it doesn't stop as good.
Were those the 5.0 version? They seem to have been quite improved over the regular HPS, especially w/ the Akebono calipers.

For a daily that's not pushed often the Posi Quiets will suffice, but the Hawk HPS 5.0 will really be much more of an upgrade over OEM without really any compromise from all the reviews I've read, and combined w/ Centric premium blanks you can get a nice brake upgrade without a premium in price.

Keep in mind the HPS 5.0 (and almost all performance pads) will require a full bed-in to get the best performance, the Posi Quiets are fine without any bed-in.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:29 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Were those the 5.0 version? They seem to have been quite improved over the regular HPS, especially w/ the Akebono calipers.

For a daily that's not pushed often the Posi Quiets will suffice, but the Hawk HPS 5.0 will really be much more of an upgrade over OEM without really any compromise from all the reviews I've read, and combined w/ Centric premium blanks you can get a nice brake upgrade without a premium in price.

Keep in mind the HPS 5.0 (and almost all performance pads) will require a full bed-in to get the best performance, the Posi Quiets are fine without any bed-in.
Interesting. I had the old HPS on a previous vehicle and though the performance was really nice, they dusted like crazy. If they've improved that aspect, I may need to look at them for my next replacement...
Old 05-02-2017, 11:47 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazyirish
Interesting. I had the old HPS on a previous vehicle and though the performance was really nice, they dusted like crazy. If they've improved that aspect, I may need to look at them for my next replacement...
I'd call KNSbrakes.com and talk to Ken, he's really up on what's best for the Gs depending on what you want from the brake setup. He's been pretty enthusiastic on the 5.0s from the posts I've seen.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:35 AM
Ariezg73

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also called Ken at KBS brakes for my 2010 37. I went with the full set of Centric Premium rotors and the Stoptech pads. The performance over the stock is night and day. Stopping has improved by at least 25% faster. Noise hasn't been an issue so far and haven't noticed any more dust. The full set was just under $400 shipped. Took about 2 days to arrive.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:26 AM
Wangstas863

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't get drilled! It's prone to warping. Just go with slotted. Unless it's a 2 piece rotor, sway away from drilled.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:55 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Stoptech has an all in 1 kit that even comes with new shims and guide pins
Old 05-03-2017, 09:58 AM
redwillow
Registered Member

thanks for the replies.

Stoptech has an all in 1 kit that even comes with new shims and guide pins
for just the fronts? do you have a link to it?
Old 05-03-2017, 10:26 AM
SlateBlue G

Originally Posted by blnewt

I have no clue but they were probably the old kind. I think it was changed like 4 years ago lol.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:27 AM
SlateBlue G

Originally Posted by Wangstas863
Don't get drilled! It's prone to warping. Just go with slotted. Unless it's a 2 piece rotor, sway away from drilled.
This is a myth. My stoptech drilled lasted 3 years and 60k of abuse.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:09 AM
Wangstas863

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It not happening to you does not make it a myth. I've heard of a dozen ppl saying it happened to them. So I'm just looking out for him. My own cousin had it happen to him, after 5-6 months on stoptech drilled.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:25 PM
redwillow
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SlateBlue G
This is a myth. My stoptech drilled lasted 3 years and 60k of abuse.
I'll elaborate on where i'm at.

We have (2) G37's

G #1 has 80k miles, has the ORIGINAL pads an rotors on it and is fine, but we are expecting to put brakes on it soon.

G # 2 (mine) gets mostly short trips, only mild to moderate braking and has 50k miles. At low mileage (maybe 15k) it had judder and had the fronts resurfaced under warranty. I lost a lot of my grab, increased my pedal travel, and said I would never have another set of rotors resurfaced again, but the judder was fixed. Around 30k miles the judder returned and the rotors were replaced under warranty. It was good for about another 15k miles and now it's back. Bad.

For the record, my G35 Brembo Brakes had 87k miles on them with the original (never resurfaced) rotors when I sold it.

So, needless to say, I want these OEM pads and rotors off my car and i'm not putting OEM back on there. I'm looking to switch to drilled for the appearance and to hopefully reduce any pad "buildup" issue that might happen. Seems like they could hardly be worse than the OEM rotors I've been dealing with for the last 7 years.