Is it worth purchasing the akebono brake kit for your sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 05:15 AM
GR4N4T
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it worth purchasing the akebono brake kit for your sedan?

Im Looking to up my break kit and im not sure what the best way to go about it is, Ive been told that the coupe sport akebonos were solid and comparable to brembos . Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I currently own a 2011 G37xS and am looking to do some decent mods.

Im a noob open to constructive criticism.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-06-2016, 05:57 AM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
In my opinion, yes, but it depends on what you plan on doing to your car. If any performance mods are in your future, or track time, then yes. Though it's difficult to argue against good brakes, the stock brakes are good enough for most people.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:31 AM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
For looks yes they are worth it, however keep in mind the 18" duckfeets do not expose the brakes well.

In terms of performance, your car will not stop any faster on the street, you are better off upgrading tires for that. The brake feel improves, the best way to explain is it's more linear. Feels more in control, more stopping power. This was my observation with the stock rubber lines.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:42 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Here's a thread that will give you most of the details, and if you check classifieds here, craiglist, wrecking yards, you might find some used calipers for great deals.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...the-cheap.html
The following 2 users liked this post by blnewt:
GR4N4T (05-07-2016), Mkhlmnn (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 08:58 AM
Falker11
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
If you do, get them painted before install!

edit: did the xS not already come with these??
Old 05-06-2016, 09:11 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
xS before 2013 didn't. I have a 2010 and pieced together a kit and love it.

Keep in mind. You'll also need an 18" spare, as the 17" won't fit.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:11 PM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by efuseakay
xS before 2013 didn't. I have a 2010 and pieced together a kit and love it.

Keep in mind. You'll also need an 18" spare, as the 17" won't fit.
Only the xS coupe came with the akebono's, the sedan never came with them. I upgraded mine, mainly for looks, but will say that the brake feel is much better and the brakes are more linear as stated above. Worth every penny to me.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:15 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,621 Likes on 3,462 Posts
If you're looking for jaw-braking performance (see what I did there? LOL), then no. For a daily driver, the non-sport setup stops the car just as well as the sport brakes.

If what you want is impressive looking hardware, then absolutely. The Akebono BBK that Nissan has been using for the last decade is some of the most attractive brakes on the market for an OEM car. The rotors are huge, and the calipers are so sexy. It's really quite a shock when you look at this understated sedan, and see that hardware. I love that my 6MT has it.

My advice would be to paint your non-sport calipers flat-black. Then buy aftermarket rims that don't showcase the brakes. A wheel with narrow 15-spokes, for example. Something elegant rather than aggressive, like this:

The following users liked this post:
Terry Danley (04-18-2020)
Old 05-06-2016, 04:15 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
I found this post from a recent Reddit discussion to be valuable when looking at a BBK from a performance standpoint.

Big brake kits don't help you stop faster. If your OEM brakes are capable of providing enough stopping power to lock up the wheels, upgrading your brake size will not shorten your stopping distance. Big brake kits provide more mass to help dissipate heat and minimize brake fade. In other words they just improve the consistency of your stopping distance during repeated hard braking. They also add unsprung mass which hurts your suspension performance and handling.

If you want brake upgrades do this:
1. Switch to high temp DOT 4 brake fluid. This will help later.
2. If you want to improve stopping distance, upgrade your tires. Many other benefits of this.
3. If you upgraded your tires and you can't lock up anymore or you experience brake fade at the track, switch to higher performance pads. Or do this anyway for the track. More often than not, this is sufficient even for higher than stock power.
4. Add brake cooling ducts if you can. You want to avoid adding unsprung mass if you don't have to.
5. If you have done all the above, and you still get fade at the track, now it's time for a big brake kit. Look for a complete kit including a matching master cylinder. Increasing the number or size of brake pistons changes the area ratios and available brake pressure. Without a matching master cylinder, often times you will find that your brake pedal travel increased and/or feels softer.
The following 3 users liked this post by MaQG37:
GR4N4T (05-07-2016), iCrap (05-06-2016), Rochester (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 04:40 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
^ That's pretty much what i have found from my reading as well.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:20 PM
GR4N4T
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you everyone for the swift responses. So are the breaks pretty much plug and play when you swap them or is more labor involved?

And im assumming the cheapest to find this kit is like $1600.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:23 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Here's a thread that will give you most of the details, and if you check classifieds here, craiglist, wrecking yards, you might find some used calipers for great deals.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...the-cheap.html
Originally Posted by GR4N4T
Thank you everyone for the swift responses. So are the breaks pretty much plug and play when you swap them or is more labor involved?

Brad answered your question here, all of the info can be found on the board.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:09 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by MaQG37
I found this post from a recent Reddit discussion to be valuable when looking at a BBK from a performance standpoint.
That all makes sense except for the weight. Usually the calipers change from steel to aluminum with a BBK so you lose quite a bit of weight. Most good BBK's have aluminum hats on the rotors so you lose weight there too. 2pc. rotors are available for our akebono brakes, but not sure if you are going to that extent.

Originally Posted by GR4N4T

If you are going to take your car to track days the brakes will be worth their weight in gold. Good brakes (and tires) are probably the most important feature you can upgrade on your car for safety and better lap times- not horsepower.

If you are just planning to use the car on the street, I would not worry about upgrading the brakes as they will really just be for looks. If looks are all you want you can get some of those ridiculous brake caliper covers that make it look like you have a big brake kit.

If you want better braking performance on the street, I agree about upgrading the tires. This will also improve your handling and acceleration. You can also upgrade your brake pads. For better braking feel, install stainless braided brake lines.

If you have not bled a brake system before, do not attempt it on your own. You do not want air in your brakes and you do not want brake fluid in your eyes. Trust me.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:07 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
If looks are all you want you can get some of those ridiculous brake caliper covers that make it look like you have a big brake kit.
If you do this I will personally go out of my way to ban your membership, and not just temporarily.

And if you follow that Akebono link that I posted you can put together a new Akebono kit for about $1100 (last I checked)
The following 4 users liked this post by blnewt:
GR4N4T (05-07-2016), MaQG37 (05-06-2016), Mkhlmnn (05-06-2016), VIVID (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 09:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,621 Likes on 3,462 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
If you do this I will personally go out of my way to ban your membership, and not just temporarily.
He won't. 4DRZ already has the BBK. But I say ban him anyway, just for making the suggestion.

You know, those MGP Caliper Covers... I swear that's become an acceptable thing in the Mustang world. The only cars I've seen those things on are Mustangs. It's kind of weird. And they really are cheesy, what with those fake bolts and all.

Just paint the non-sport calipers satin black and call it a day.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
Mkhlmnn (05-06-2016), VIVID (05-06-2016)

Quick Reply: Is it worth purchasing the akebono brake kit for your sedan?