For the thousandth time: to strut bar or not to strut bar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 08:21 AM
txg37x

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
For the thousandth time: to strut bar or not to strut bar?

I know there are posts like this all over the net, but I have to ask. Is the front strut tower bar/brace worth it for a G37- or even more specifically an X since they have an extra 180lbs up front? I could care less about making the engine bay look better, so I'm not looking for that. I currently have hotchkis sway bars and swift springs.

I've read numerous posts here and at other forums where people say they feel an immediate difference and an improvement in low speed turns. There are other posts who say it makes minimal difference and some other forums (Miata specifically) who say it can be a detriment and increase push/understeer through sharp turns; however, those cars are much more balanced from the start. The best argument I've heard to get a front strut bar is that the Zs come with them from the factory, so they must have some solid/noticeable effect on a G...?

So what do yall think?

Also, I've found several other suspension braces from GT Spec for the X sedan, and they can all be had for under a grand. Anyone else tried these? Though it's a coupe, I saw Blackbetty mention he had several suspension upgrades- was extra bracing included?
The following users liked this post:
MStrike (12-08-2020)
Old 01-29-2015, 08:37 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,427 Posts
There actually is an immediate difference felt at very low speeds and quick turns. For example, launching the car hard from a dead stop into a turn is one of those situations... like being the first car under a light, waiting for a gap in on-coming traffic, so that you can make a fast left turn. Another entirely valid application: Auto-Cross. Naturally, having the right kind of tires comes into play here, too. (Actually, high performance tires is a vastly more important handling mod.)

All that said, the difference with a FSTB is minimal, and even less so in an AWD vehicle. And since you're not into engine bay bling, that's a whole component of the mod that becomes irrelevant.

While I'm very content with mine, my advice is to not bother, because you have an AWD G, and you don't care how the engine bay looks.

However, if you want to improve your car's handling overall, with a similarly small cost, get a set of aftermarket swaybars.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-29-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Bravo at (02-01-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 09:19 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
I'm of the mindset that any perceived difference is a placebo effect.

But they're cheap and easy enough to install. If you absolutely must have one, I'd wait and pick one up on the classifieds.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:28 AM
jgronline

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
This is actually not a bad video that explains it. We have a double wishbone suspension so the benefit of the front strut bar is less than a macpherson setup but there is a benefit. I personally would like a rear strut bar to help reduce wheel hop but I don't think anyone sells one.

The following 2 users liked this post by jgronline:
abrecos (05-28-2022), DYT-350Z (02-04-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 10:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

^^^
Mechanical Engineering, FTW.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:59 AM
doublea88
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
Nice video, Didn't think about the idea of hitting a bump and the force will be transitioned into both strut towers with the strut bar. Sure I have an X model, but i tend to think it helps even with a minimal extent. Most importantly , it sure looks good in the engine bay.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:11 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts
Does the 370Z still come with a strut bar stock? Similar car to ours. Not sure why Nissan uses it on the Z and not on our cars.
abrecos (05-28-2022)
Old 01-29-2015, 01:44 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
Does the 370Z still come with a strut bar stock? Similar car to ours. Not sure why Nissan uses it on the Z and not on our cars.
I think Nissan needs to differentiate the Z from the G. I believe the Z is regarded as more sporty, so that theme resonates more with that car.

IIRC, the Z bar has two additional chassis attachments close to the windshield. Is anyone doing this for the G?
Old 01-29-2015, 01:52 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
Because race car.

I think the Z also has a rear cross brace too.
DYRTY420 (05-03-2021)
Old 01-29-2015, 02:22 PM
txg37x

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
There actually is an immediate difference felt at very low speeds and quick turns. For example, launching the car hard from a dead stop into a turn is one of those situations... like being the first car under a light, waiting for a gap in on-coming traffic, so that you can make a fast left turn. Another entirely valid application: Auto-Cross. Naturally, having the right kind of tires comes into play here, too. (Actually, high performance tires is a vastly more important handling mod.)

All that said, the difference with a FSTB is minimal, and even less so in an AWD vehicle. And since you're not into engine bay bling, that's a whole component of the mod that becomes irrelevant.

While I'm very content with mine, my advice is to not bother, because you have an AWD G, and you don't care how the engine bay looks.

However, if you want to improve your car's handling overall, with a similarly small cost, get a set of aftermarket swaybars.
Thanks, Rochester. I already have sways, and they're great. I autocross, so that's why I wanted more info about the strut bar. If it will indeed be a noticable improvement for autox' slowish tight turns, then the bar with be worth it to me.

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
I think Nissan needs to differentiate the Z from the G. I believe the Z is regarded as more sporty, so that theme resonates more with that car.

IIRC, the Z bar has two additional chassis attachments close to the windshield. Is anyone doing this for the G?
Yea, Xtreme, the Z does have a three point strut bar. I haven't seen any like that available for the G though. I am definitely willing to get all the available braces for the X sedan if they'll actually make a substantive difference on a track.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by txg37x
If it will indeed be a noticeable improvement for autox' slowish tight turns, then the bar with be worth it to me.
It would be more noticeable if you didn't have the sways. But if you're taking your sedan to Auto-X events, you should definitely get a FSTB, particularly since your sways have already bumped you into a modified class. In for a penny, in for a pound.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:52 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
From a performance standpoint, a front strut bar is almost useless unless it has three points of contact. For engine bling, they look good shiny and symmetrical.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:22 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
I bought it purely to dress up my engine bay. Plus it's a nice cheap mod.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:00 PM
35Sport

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
I really want to fabricate mounts for the 370z nismo strut bar.

370Z shock tower brace on G37? No go? | DrivingEnthusiast Blog
Old 01-30-2015, 08:29 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by 35Sport
I really want to fabricate mounts for the 370z nismo strut bar.

370Z shock tower brace on G37? No go? | DrivingEnthusiast Blog
I didn't realize that the Z's bar doesn't attach at the strut towers, rather beside them. Is this better, worse, or about the same as having it directly on top of the strut?

I see a much simpler fix for aftermarket manufacturers is to modify their existing strut bars which mount on the strut towers, and then adding additional bracing which then attaches under the windshield.

Quick Reply: For the thousandth time: to strut bar or not to strut bar?