For the thousandth time: to strut bar or not to strut bar?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 02:58 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by jwfisher
My friend bought that brace. We'll see if it fits his G37S coupe. Complete pictures of the install, of course.
Could you get the approximate weight of the brace?
Old 02-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,576 Likes on 3,426 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Struts are the same as its definition, a strut geometrically supports something. We have coil over shocks.
If it was a strut we wouldn't haves upper control arms, and the shock would have a bearing plate.
Seems a common misconception to define a strut as coil-over-shock. Interesting.

Thanks for the explanation. It's nice when people make the effort.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-02-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:52 PM
jwfisher
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Could you get the approximate weight of the brace?
Yes, and very good point. That thing is going to be heavy. But it's factory engineered, so I am sure it will be as light and optimized as a factory steel piece can be.
I'm planning on photos, where possible given that there won't be a lift during the install.
Next thing I need is the hardware to install it... several bolts and nuts. I need to get out the parts diagram and the shop manual.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:58 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Yes, and very good point. That thing is going to be heavy. But it's factory engineered, so I am sure it will be as light and optimized as a factory steel piece can be.
I'm planning on photos, where possible given that there won't be a lift during the install.
Next thing I need is the hardware to install it... several bolts and nuts. I need to get out the parts diagram and the shop manual.

I think that same guy was trying to sell it in the classifieds on here. Looks like he might have the bolts. At the least, the p/n are in this thread

https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...mid-brace.html
Old 02-02-2015, 11:20 PM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
IMHO, no the strut tower is not worth it. Just like your car, I have a xS lowered on swifts, Hotchkis sways, and PSS tires. On top I had the strut tower bar, the m brace and rear tie brace, which are all sitting in the garage.

I had a few opportunities where my STB was off and on again on the car due to installing gen3s, cleaning their filter, cleaning throttle bodies, and diagnosing a groaning noise.

First the positives, there's a slight imrprovement in body roll while turning. And it looks nice in the engine bay.

What I did not like. Everytime the STB was put back on I noticed loss of steering feedback right at the center. If I can describe it then its like a deadzone in the center. The ride stiffens up quite a bit, I felt every little bump on the road. With sway bars upgrade this seems unnecessary. Finally its inconvenient when throttle bodies need cleaning.
The following users liked this post:
mummy2 (06-25-2023)
Old 02-04-2015, 07:03 AM
jwfisher
Registered Member

A triangulated shock tower brace, to the tops of the shock towers and then tieing in with the firewall. It comes with one because Nissan engineers determined that the car works better with it. Nobody takes them off, the car is better with it, unless they have to do something that raises the intake manifold higher or replaces the manifold outright.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:23 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by xcghhjy
Does the 370Z still come with a strut bar stock? Similar car to ours. Not sure why Nissan uses it on the Z and not on our cars.
I can't seem to confirm that it still does.

I really like the look of this Nismo model though:

Update:

This looks similar to the stock one. Not sure these would fit our cars:

Old 02-05-2015, 09:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by xcvbcgh
I'm of the mindset that any perceived difference is a placebo effect.
Ah, no.

It's not a significant handling mod, but it is most certainly not a placebo effect. My recommendation is to assess the changes with and without, particularly in the driving situations where it should make a difference.

Originally Posted by socketz67
I really like the look of this Nismo model though:

Wish that were an option for the G. That looks like serious business.

Look at how far up on the fender the connecting points are. Interesting.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-05-2015 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:27 AM
Rochester
Administrator

And for the heck of it, (because I love showing off )... here's my GT-Spec bar.

I polished the clear-coat off the bar and removed the "GT-Spec" laser etching from the middle. The brackets were acid-dipped and powdercoated in gloss-black metallic. And the bracket pins are polished Titanium, with titanium nyloc nuts.

Love this mod. It's attractive under the hood (IMO), and it keeps the front end planted on a hard turn-in from a dead stop.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:32 AM
jwfisher
Registered Member

Originally Posted by socketz67
I can't seem to confirm that it still does.

. Not sure these would fit our cars:

Read the start of this thread. It does not fit the G because the G doesn't have the necessary brackets. Otherwise it would since the G and Z are on the identical platform.

And yes it still does come with the Z because the engineers designed it to be an integral part of the Z's dynamics.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:46 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Read the start of this thread. It does not fit the G because the G doesn't have the necessary brackets. Otherwise it would since the G and Z are on the identical platform.
The shape of our battery and brake fluid covers would not allow this bar to fit. I think with some engine bay modifications and hole drilling, it can be done. You'll need a new engine cover too.

Who wants to be the first? I'm sure you can get a sticky DIY out of it for your efforts.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:17 AM
jwfisher
Registered Member

All that is workable, it's just the plastic bits. See the article I wrote for the DrivingEnthusioast.net blog on this.
Biggest problem is that adapters are needed to go between the shock tower bar and the shock tower itself. On a Z, they are welded on. On a G, they are missing.
A smart vendor with a CNC machine could make up something very nice here, even with the vendor name etched in. In return, we get the ultimate shock tower brace, triangulated to the firewall, and the sharper steering and geometry that goes with it.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:21 AM
G37Xtreme

All that is workable, it's just the plastic bits. See the article I wrote for the DrivingEnthusioast.net blog on this.
Biggest problem is that adapters are needed to go between the shock tower bar and the shock tower itself. On a Z, they are welded on. On a G, they are missing.
A smart vendor with a CNC machine could make up something very nice here, even with the vendor name etched in. In return, we get the ultimate shock tower brace, triangulated to the firewall, and the sharper steering and geometry that goes with it.
Do we have 2 wire bundles entering the firewall where the Z has the 3rd attachment point? I was looking at Rochester's image and it seems like we have something going on right there.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:31 AM
jwfisher
Registered Member

Look at the pics on my post. They are identical, right down to the bundle tie.
These are after all the same platforms.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:51 AM
G37Xtreme

Look at the pics on my post. They are identical, right down to the bundle tie.
These are after all the same platforms.
I didn't see any pics from you in this thread showing this. Perhaps I missed them. Can you link to the pics?

Quick Reply: For the thousandth time: to strut bar or not to strut bar?