Anyone go back to stock springs on purpose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 07:59 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Swifts do not lower your car as much as eibachs, and from my experience the Swifts with stock dampers rides really close to stock. I have had Swifts on my rwd journey sedan for about 15k with the stock dampers and it still feels good. Eventually I'm going to go with the Koni yellows and Hotchkis sways. I want a little stiffer ride and less body roll and I believe this is the best route to go that has a mild drop.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:01 PM
botlfed98
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
I think drive ability and ride sucks lowered, I'm not going to lie...but it looks 1000x better and I still believe it's worth the sacrifice. I really wish I would have found an S model and I would MIGHT have then left it at stock height !
Old 08-26-2014, 08:11 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have OEM stock springs from an 2008 G37S if you like
Old 08-26-2014, 08:27 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I haven't had any issues since swapping out springs (and shocks). I even went over some speed humps at about 25-30 mph and didnt bottom out or scrap.

My concern is going to be getting an alignment to spec and not needing camber kits.

Also, I dont see why 370 springs wouldn't work, their shocks fit. There just isnt a knowledge base of what kinda drop you'll get.
You are very brave for running over humps at that speed. Eibach does give a nice even drop without the need of camber kits. And as for the 370z springs... IIRC G37 coupe and sedan are interchangeable with 370z but putting Z springs on sedan will drop even more because of the spring rate.

Edit:
Found the link of a sedan with z springs
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...z-springs.html

Last edited by HoldmyMouse; 08-26-2014 at 08:29 PM. Reason: found link
Old 08-26-2014, 08:52 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by jsampsell
Lego_Maniac, I see that you have a G37S sedan. May I ask why you decided to replace the springs and shocks?
Buy once, cry one. I'm of the opinion that aftermarket springs reduce the life of your OEM shocks. And since I think spring installs are a PIA, and I DIY, I only wanted to do it once and be able to enjoy the car with the better shocks and spring setup.

Originally Posted by jsampsell
And are the Koni shocks softer, about the same, or stiffer than the stock S shocks? That may be a hard answer since you replace both the shocks and springs at the same time. You say that you went over some speed humps fairly fast and didn't bottom out or scrape. But how would you describe the normal, every day ride feel compared to the stock setup when you first bought the car?
Technically, the Konis are replacement shocks for the 370Z, so they are likely firmer than the stock Z suspension.

My stock shocks had 20K on them, the Konis are firmer, but not jarring. In a straight line, they ride quality is marginally worse. My wife didn't even notice the difference, and we can still roll with my 3 year old and 9 month old in the back.

The real difference is in undulating roads, turn in, mid corner bumps, body roll, and weight transfer when clutching.

I live in the south though, and our roads don't get torn up by salt or freezing temperatures so YMMV. If I still lived in the Cleveland area, I would probably think it was too harsh.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:20 PM
halfshaft

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I never wanted to lower my car, but did so because of aftermarket wheel fitment. Ride quality seems to be completely unaffected, although now there are all kinds of creaks and groans that weren't there before. But that's OK, because racecar. And I'll likely swap springs & struts for CO's in a couple of years.

To your question, I suspect most people go back to OEM springs only if it's too low to be drive-able where they live.
Rochester, I noticed that you are lowered on swift springs. Do you find the new ride height to be too low to the point where it get annoying to drive the car? Bottoming out on driveways and bumps too much?

You mentioned that ride quality hasn't worsened but do you notice any kind of handling improvements?

I will be installing Eibach sways and Swift springs soon and would appreciate your input.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,608 Likes on 3,450 Posts
Originally Posted by halfshaft
Rochester, I noticed that you are lowered on swift springs. Do you find the new ride height to be too low to the point where it get annoying to drive the car? Bottoming out on driveways and bumps too much?

You mentioned that ride quality hasn't worsened but do you notice any kind of handling improvements?

I will be installing Eibach sways and Swift springs soon and would appreciate your input.
Sways were installed in early 2013. At the time I had 18" OEM Sport rims, with original Bridgestones on the front, and PSS on the rear. The only suspension mod on the car was the GT-Spec FSTB. After the sways, the changes were immediate and awesome. IMO, sways are the #1 best bolt-on mod for this car.

The swifts were installed almost immediately after getting the Vossens, in early 2014. Granted, the Vossens are a couple pounds heavier than the duckfeet, but with PSS on all four corners, having a much wider contact patch, and a healthy amount of neg camber throughout, the car's handling was taken up another notch. Maybe two.

I have zero issues with ride height everywhere I go. Same for comfort. It's fine. My only two issues are my driveway, because the apron is so steep. And the little noises. There are creaks and groans moving the car around the driveway, and it's not the sways... I just regreased them. IDK what it is. I suspect it's the end-links gently complaining about being lowered. And that's not an uncommon quick-wear part when lowering the car. But there are aftermarket end-links better than OEM. The car only has 20K miles on it, so I've got plenty of play time left in parts like that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
halfshaft (08-27-2014), twin_snails (08-28-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 03:15 AM
halfshaft

Sways were installed in early 2013. At the time I had 18" OEM Sport rims, with original Bridgestones on the front, and PSS on the rear. The only suspension mod on the car was the GT-Spec FSTB. After the sways, the changes were immediate and awesome. IMO, sways are the #1 best bolt-on mod for this car.

The swifts were installed almost immediately after getting the Vossens, in early 2014. Granted, the Vossens are a couple pounds heavier than the duckfeet, but with PSS on all four corners, having a much wider contact patch, and a healthy amount of neg camber throughout, the car's handling was taken up another notch. Maybe two.

I have zero issues with ride height everywhere I go. Same for comfort. It's fine. My only two issues are my driveway, because the apron is so steep. And the little noises. There are creaks and groans moving the car around the driveway, and it's not the sways... I just regreased them. IDK what it is. I suspect it's the end-links gently complaining about being lowered. And that's not an uncommon quick-wear part when lowering the car. But there are aftermarket end-links better than OEM. The car only has 20K miles on it, so I've got plenty of play time left in parts like that.
I appreciate your detailed response Rochester. I have heard much hype about the sway bars so I’m really looking forward to seeing what they can do for my G. I am still running on the stock Bridgestone Potenza (RE050A?). They seem to do the job but I’m not impressed with the road noise. How do you like the Pilot Super Sports? I am thinking of making those my next tires.

It sounds like you are reasonably happy with the swifts. Did you end up also installing any camber kits? How was your alignment after installing the springs? Is the tire wear excessive?

I’m glad to hear that the ride height hasn’t interfered with your ability to enjoy the car. Since I have the coupe it seems the drop will be a hair more for me (1.3 inches front and 1.0 in the rear vs 1.2 front and .8 rear for the sedan). Hopefully I have a similar experience with the ride height. I really enjoy the look of a slightly lowered car but ultimately I still need the car to function as a reliable form of transportation.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:42 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,608 Likes on 3,450 Posts
It sounds like you are reasonably happy with the swifts.
Happy enough. I'll probably be more content down the road, assuming I get CO's at some point. And that will probably bring a host of other considerations... or not, IDK. I think that when modding a car, particularly one that's practically new, it always involves compromise. If you can't compromise, then things should just stay stock.

Did you end up also installing any camber kits? How was your alignment after installing the springs? Is the tire wear excessive?
No, I did not get a front or back Camber & Toe kit. In my case, one of the reasons for the drop was to introduce enough neg camber to pull in the top of the poking rear wheels, which it did.

Toe was corrected during the alignment. Camber is out of spec at -1.3* and -1.5* front, -2.1* and -2.2* rear. That's not crazy bad, however I won't be assessing tire wear until this November, when the snows & duckfeet go back on. Also, I only drive about 5000 miles/year, so even if the tires are wearing more than normal, it's mitigated by low use.

I appreciate your detailed response Rochester.
Happy to help, halfshaft. I'm prone to negative karma, too... so it's good to strike a balance, LOL.

I see you have the RJM clutch pedal assembly. What's your story there? Did you try jsolo's pedal spring first?

Last edited by Rochester; 08-27-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:08 PM
cplovero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed my swift springs a little over a month ago because, like many, I was very unhappy with the ride height and was willing to compromise a little on ride comfort.

After they were installed, my ride quality suffered quite a bit more than I had initially hoped for (if we want to rate stock as a 10/10, it became about a 6/10). I admit I contemplated whether or not I made the right decision as I was now feeling the road A LOT more which is unacceptable for me since I do quite a bit of commuting and travelling.

I thought about it more and I ended up deciding to keep the springs and deal with the harsher ride. Therefore, I went ahead and got my alignment and ended up getting my toe in spec but having negative camber similar to others. To get the most out of my tire life, I purchased a SPC camber kit to and had them installed with another alignment after about another month. I want to say after the camber kit, my ride quality actually increased up to 7/10 which was a very pleasant surprise for me.

In terms of speed bumps and driveways, I have not had many issues with them taking them at angles except I do scratch my engine undercover a bit more than usual because it hangs lower than normal after a previous mechanic screwed it up during an oil change (learned my lesson here). But overall, I am very happy with the install and don't think about going back to stock springs anymore. I'll see how they hold up further down the line.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (08-28-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 11:24 PM
halfshaft

I see you have the RJM clutch pedal assembly. What's your story there? Did you try jsolo's pedal spring first?

Actually I did try the JSolo spring first and while it provided increased pedal feel and was pretty good bang/buck, I wanted to see if I could further improve things. Drivability is one of the most important things to me and the stock G 6MT clutch can sometimes make driving the car a chore. The Jsolo spring makes it easier but it is still not nearly as easy to drive as some other manuals. I read some very positive reviews on the RJM clutch pedal both here and at the 370z forums so I decided to try it.

Installing it was reasonably straight forward but no matter what you do you will be at least a little uncomfortable since you have to work under the dash at an awkward angle and there isn’t a ton of space or light there. Other than the annoying work position, the installation isn’t too technically challenging.

The quality of the clutch pedal assembly was great, everything felt sturdy and well designed. I have adjusted my pedal to engage closer to the middle (instead of having it at the top like OEM). I have also made the engagement window wider so the clutch is easier to modulate. I could have spent quite a bit of time dialing in the settings so it is optimal, but I am pretty happy with how it is right now. My G now drives more like a normal car, the transmission is easier to deal with and the clutch pedal has much more feel. Being able to feel exactly when the clutch is starting to engage clearly with your foot helps a lot in smooth driving. Even with this, the G’s clutch still feels aggressive and sporty. IMO it still isn’t as easy to drive as something like a Miata but I think the clutch pedal is now a very good balance between aggressive/quick engaging and smooth. I can even make the 1-2 shifts fairly smoothly now even under heavy throttle, something that was very difficult for me to manage previously. Although I still sometimes get jerky 1-2 shifts, all other gear changes are almost always good to perfect. My downshifts are now almost always perfectly rev matched because it’s just easier to synchronize the throttle blip with the clutch pedal release.

I would recommend this mod to others and would do it again if I had to, I think it would probably be a worthwhile upgrade from the Jsolo spring too. The ability to customize the pedal characteristics to your liking is useful. Nissan/Infiniti should have released these cars with this sort of setup instead of the poor factory clutch pedal. That being said, I think expectations should be realistic, this mod isn’t going to turn your car into some silky smooth shifting Honda S2000, but it will feel like the G37’s clutch pedal done properly.
The following 2 users liked this post by halfshaft:
Rochester (08-28-2014), twin_snails (08-28-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 11:30 PM
halfshaft

Originally Posted by cplovero
I installed my swift springs a little over a month ago because, like many, I was very unhappy with the ride height and was willing to compromise a little on ride comfort.

After they were installed, my ride quality suffered quite a bit more than I had initially hoped for (if we want to rate stock as a 10/10, it became about a 6/10). I admit I contemplated whether or not I made the right decision as I was now feeling the road A LOT more which is unacceptable for me since I do quite a bit of commuting and travelling.

I thought about it more and I ended up deciding to keep the springs and deal with the harsher ride. Therefore, I went ahead and got my alignment and ended up getting my toe in spec but having negative camber similar to others. To get the most out of my tire life, I purchased a SPC camber kit to and had them installed with another alignment after about another month. I want to say after the camber kit, my ride quality actually increased up to 7/10 which was a very pleasant surprise for me.

In terms of speed bumps and driveways, I have not had many issues with them taking them at angles except I do scratch my engine undercover a bit more than usual because it hangs lower than normal after a previous mechanic screwed it up during an oil change (learned my lesson here). But overall, I am very happy with the install and don't think about going back to stock springs anymore. I'll see how they hold up further down the line.
It is interesting that some people report little to no loss in comfort with these springs. I guess ride quality can be quite subjective perhaps?

Since even after your alignment you feel that you have lost some ride quality, what do you think these springs have improved for your car? Surely these improvements must be significant since you elected to keep the springs on despite the lowered ride quality?
Old 08-28-2014, 03:53 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm on the same sways as you John...and you're the only one that I've heard mention the creaks and groans from the car such as going into a driveway with an uneven surface that is NOT related to a lube problem on the urethane deals (I know so technical but the proper name escapes me ATM) that clamp the sways.

I am experiencing the same thing, and it's not the sways. It sounds like it's coming from somewhere in the rear bulkhead / parcel shelf or somewhere in the rear of the unibody . It's a topic that I've never broached on the forum because I figured everyone would chalk it up to the sways needing some lube.

With that said, thank you for validating what I'm experiencing and hearing. It's not that big a deal, well because race car, as you say. Just a minor nit that I have with the stiffer suspension.

While on that, the GT-Spec 6 point rear brace firms up the chassis quite nicely and reduces some of the creaks and groans.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:04 PM
jsampsell

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Does anyone know the guy, redlude97, that posted the spring mount shaving/cutting DIY over on the 35 forum? The pictures no longer show up and was wondering if someone might be able to contact him to re-up them. I'm still doing my research on this and would really like to see the process necessary for using S springs on the rear.

DIY: Spring Mount Shaving/Cutting:
DIY: Cutting Rear Springmount aka "the springmount mod" - G35Driver
Old 08-28-2014, 01:06 PM
jsampsell

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
And can anyone confirm whether the 370z springs to be used on the front are the base springs or the sport springs?

Quick Reply: Anyone go back to stock springs on purpose?