Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

Review Fortune Auto 500 AWD coilover review

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:11 AM
jsampsell

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Just a quick update. As embarrassing as it is to admit this, it might help someone else so here it is. The major noise that I was hearing from what seemed to be my right rear suspension was actually a loose spare tire. Maybe that should have been obvious for me to check but I had no logical reason to even think that the spare tire would be loose.

I share this hoping that maybe it will save someone some money down the road. Trust me, you don't want to fork out money for something this stupid. I didn't pay a lot for it since the guy was nice about it but I did pay something because his tech spent about an hour and a half checking out the car to identify the cause of the noise. Oh well.
The following 2 users liked this post by jsampsell:
fengyink (11-12-2015), VIVID (02-09-2016)
Old 04-29-2015, 10:58 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
^^^ maybe that could be the clunking sound that BC owners were hearing as well lol
Old 05-28-2015, 06:16 PM
Project10

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
were you able to find the cause of the noises in your suspension jsampsell? This info could be very useful to all the X guys thinking about the fortune auto coilovers.
Thanks for sharing so far.

Originally Posted by jsampsell
Mine isn't a thump exactly but I've had some kind of cracking noise from the passenger rear from about one week into it. I'm taking the car in to a recommended shop this week to see if they can identify the noises. And correct them, of course. I'm also getting noise from the fronts, both sides, so they are checking it all out. I'm not sure if it's the FA product or the SPC camber kits (installed both front and rear) or a combination of both. These guys work on a team of Porsche race cars so they know suspension very well. If they can't figure it out then I'm just pulling them off and selling them. I won't put up with the noise. It's not just a little bit. Hopefully your issue is not as big as mine is.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:37 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
I just installed these on my coupe but where do I drill to get the extenders to go through the trunk. Wish these had the adjustments on the side like my BC does.,
Old 11-12-2015, 05:47 PM
fengyink

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by deathtrap
Have any of you been experiencing a thud in the rear shocks at low speeds? I have gone over everything several times and I get this persistent faint knocking/thud driving at low speeds. It sounds like it is coming from the rear passenger shock tower. Any ideas?
I have got this - it was because my rear sway bar bushing needs lubrication (silicon grease). Usually it happened at very low speed (5mph, no throttle) and went through small bumps (1-2cm).
Old 12-28-2015, 12:45 PM
fengyink

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Very nice post - question request your help:

To install the extender - should I (please comment inline)
1. Pull out the bench part of the rear seat (do I need to remove the back?).
2. Drill a hole (what size on the top of the strut tower)
3. Get a grommet for better seal.
4. Route the extender up the rear seat - can I bend it a bit into the truck?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Jethro
I have had these coilovers installed on my 2009 G37xS sedan for about two weeks now. As has been indicated in another thread, the packaging was excellent, and they appear to be a quality product. All the adjustments work well, the install was straight forward and nothing needed to be modified to fit. THMotorsports was great to work with, it just took a little longer than anyone planned to actually get this developed. But hey, I'd rather wait and it be right versus rushing out a crap product. So no complaints here.

I decided to get the Swift spring upgrade, had street valving and the rear adjustment extenders. 11kg/mm front, 8kg/mm rear spring rates.

The OEM rear spring setup is a little different than other coilovers I have seen for our cars. The rear spring still sits in the OEM location, but there is an adapter that the spring sits in. Guess it was easier to develop as it appears to be the same type of spring that is used in a truecoilover (versus the bigger diameter OEM spring).

I am still messing with the damping settings, and right now am about in the middle settings. So far it rides much better than my previous Swift lowering springs paired with OEM struts. I am lowered to about 26-1/2" all around measured from ground to top of the wheel well at the fenders. Ride is a smotth and a little firm, but none of the gut retching crashing on large bumps as before. Seems to be appropriate for a sport luxury sedan. Larger potholes will sometimes cause a bit of spring noise, but it isn't a bottoming out sort of sound that makes you cringe.

So I am very happy with this set up so far. Will see how they react as time goes on, and there will be the Chicago winter to deal with in a few months.

Hope this helps anyone contemplating this setup for your AWD G!

Old 02-10-2016, 08:36 PM
G37xsfun

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Anymore info on installing the rear dampening adjuster extensions and where you ended up setting your dampening front and rear appreciated.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:55 AM
Mindows7

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry for bumping an old thread but does anyone know if you can put your swift springs onto the coils.

IE. you have the coils with their stock springs but you want to upgrade it to swifts, can you?
Old 02-23-2016, 11:19 AM
G37xsfun

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
You can order the Swift springs for the coilovers directly from Fortune Auto. The Swift springs for the oem struts will not work with the coilovers. I just installed these on my car and they are great. I have Swifts, 10k front and 8k rear. 8" long rear springs.

Mobile Site Preview
Old 02-23-2016, 01:49 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by Mindows7
Sorry for bumping an old thread but does anyone know if you can put your swift springs onto the coils.

IE. you have the coils with their stock springs but you want to upgrade it to swifts, can you?
Yes. But it's $300 so take that into your calculations. Also, you'll obviously have to install them when you get 'em.

Fortunes have really great modularity and functionality in that way.

Sean
Old 02-23-2016, 04:41 PM
wiscoG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tired of KYB and Swifts

The car looks great! I have been running kyb struts and shocks with swift springs for 2 years now. The ride height is perfect!(wouldn't mind having it close to factory for winters here in Wi) but I cannot take the ride anymore. Its harsh and too bouncy. I haven't been able to pull the trigger on the B.C. coilovers for the same reasons you have listed. I have been searching for another option for over a year now. I basically just want an inch below factory and a decent ride. How far did you drop yours? how close to factory height do you think you could get? Thanks!!
Old 02-24-2016, 12:31 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Fortune Radial Bearing

Has anyone installed the optional radial bearing on the Fortunes? It's intended to keep the spring from binding on the perch reducing noise?

Sean

UPDATE: The radial bearing is for McPherson struts, not our double wishbone setup.

Last edited by VIVID; 02-24-2016 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Bearing update
Old 03-22-2016, 09:17 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
^^^Radial bearings would only come into use with a McPherson style strut. I would look for spring isolators from from say Energy Suspension. You can find a whole host of them on ebay or anywhere else for that matter. That'll keep the metal on metal contact from happening.
The following users liked this post:
VIVID (03-22-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 07:36 AM
Oh My G 523

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the FA oem set up better for our X then a true Coilovers set up? Like stance ss?
Old 04-07-2016, 08:15 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Stance will make an OEM rear spring location but not all the spring rates are available with the Swift option apparently.

There have been plenty of people, mostly 370Z guys, who have run true-type coil overs in the rear with no issues. The G is heavier overall and changing the spring location does affect suspension frequency in the rear. The engineers did it that way for a reason but I think it's mostly down to NVH. Look at Nissan race 370Z's and they use true-type in the rear.

Fortune will make both types as well I believe, and Powertrix has an OEM all-swift location too. Just be aware Fortune has no warranty if you use them on the street.

Quick Reply: Review Fortune Auto 500 AWD coilover review