Impressions of Akebono upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by warped ideas

Yeah, I guess "deposits" on the rotors can make these unique burn marks on all four rotors. Anyway, I was being a jack@ss and under "normal" driving conditions I wouldn't see this happening.
Cute photoshop. I like the font. But what exactly does that prove

99% of people that claim to have "warped rotors" don't have "warped rotors"

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

Let's just go with you being in the 1%

Edit: I see we've been through this before https://www.myg37.com/forums/3780940-post2724.html

Rochester always does such a good job with the witty gifs

Last edited by Lego_Maniac; 07-07-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Rochester always does such a good job with the witty gifs

Warped Rotors, FTMFW.

The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (07-07-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 09:35 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
I guess rotors just don't warp.... Must be crappy OEM pads.... I do remember this conversation from around two months ago. Hence the reason after reading the article that was linked in the thread I decided to go with a BBK since MY rotors just happened to be part of that fabled 1% that gets warped. Lucky me. I knew photo evidence would illicit some kind of heckling from all of the great mechanics on this forum.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:52 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester

Warped Rotors, FTMFW.

Do you search for your screen name or something
Old 07-07-2014, 09:56 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Do you search for your screen name or something
Cute.... No, just research what the specs are supposed to be for the rotors then bought a digital micrometer to check for myself. You know....DIY...Ever tried?
Old 07-07-2014, 10:09 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by warped ideas
Cute.... No, just research what the specs are supposed to be for the rotors then bought a digital micrometer to check for myself. You know....DIY...Ever tried?
No. Never DIY. I like to overpay at the dealership to have everything done. And I certainly cant read a tech article from a little company called stoptech to understand that warped rotors are a myth.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:08 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
C'mon guys, lets keep this on topic and above the fray
Old 07-07-2014, 11:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

My 6MT came with the Akebono BBK, and I'd like to think it matters. But whenever I drive a G37 with standard brakes, I can't tell one from the other.

Still... sure is pretty hardware. I can't think of a single reason why the xS Sedan didn't come with these brakes.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:54 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
My 6MT came with the Akebono BBK, and I'd like to think it matters. But whenever I drive a G37 with standard brakes, I can't tell one from the other.

Still... sure is pretty hardware. I can't think of a single reason why the xS Sedan didn't come with these brakes.
My front Wilwood calipers will be here Thursday, but not sure how long it'll take to get the rest of it together
Old 07-08-2014, 12:28 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
My x came with the regular brakes then upgraded to the akebonos with stop tech slotted rotors and posi quiet pads. i dont ever really go fast enough to really feel the difference but it sure looks better
Old 07-08-2014, 05:48 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Well, to keep it above the fray so to speak, I can feel the difference between the brakes. I can honestly report that from around 140 to 0 the OEM brakes didn't fair to well. I since then did it with the Akebonos and the results were better. I didn't have a timer or stopwatch to tell me how big a difference in braking power there was, but the larger rotors seemed to handle it better. Just relaying MY experience, and opinion. The BBK is worth it even if for looks alone, but it DOES have some better functionality.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:19 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

It is pretty hardware

But it probably doesn't make a huge difference.

2007 G35S (sliding calipers, summer tires) 70-0: 157 feet
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...port-6mt-1.pdf

2009 G37S (Akebono BBK, summer tires) 70-0: 159 feet
2009 Infiniti G37 Sport

2011 G25 (sliding calipers, Eagle RSA 225/55/17 tires) 70-0: 159 feet
2011 Infiniti G25 / G25x Road Test – Review – Car and Driver

So an average of 5 back-to-back-to-back stops from 70, there is really no difference in braking distance, even for the lowly G25.

That being said, the Akebono calipers are going to provide more flexibility whey upgrading pads because they offer a larger contact space (swept area) and a more substantial rotor to help reduce fade. The opposed piston design is also going to offer better pedal feel and increased initial bite.

I've posted this article before, and I'll post it again, because it at least provides some measurable results in a somewhat controlled setting of pad and pad + fluid combinations on a 370Z with the Akebono brakes.

Z Meets Wall: We Investigate Why the NISMO Z's Brakes Failed at Lightning Lap - Feature - Car and Driver

Cliff Notes for the TL/DR crowd:

Stopping distances from 100 mph worsened from about 325 feet to nearly 500, a level the Z maintained through cycles two and three. By the end of the fourth cycle (or 20 stops), braking distances stretched to more than 1000

Now, 20 100-0 stops is a lot, and probably more than any of us do on the street, but still, illustrative that the stock system isn't as robust as it looks.

NISMO Pads:

Although the upgraded pads endured roughly a dozen more stops than could the base pads and were extremely consistent—the Z’s 20th stop took 318 feet, almost exactly the same as the first one—their performance fell off a cliff shortly thereafter.

A simple pad change made a significant difference in fade resistance. Almost 700' in the 20th 100-0 stop.

^^OE Pad material melted onto the 370 rotors. Look at the gallery and you'll see the OE pads melted away.

I'm glad the OP likes his upgrade
Old 07-08-2014, 08:30 AM
Rochester
Administrator

It is pretty hardware

But it probably doesn't make a huge difference.
Over the last few years reading this forum, I've seen a pattern of opinions that lead me to conclude the Akebono BBK is more show than go (or stop, LOL). And if you really want serious track brakes, this isn't the right setup.

Newt... Willwoods? Srsly? I know BBK has been on your list for a while, so very nice, man.

BTW, you have to put this Akbar ahole in your ignore list in order to bypass his lame hacking BS.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:22 AM
chris_s

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
<<<@!1!@>>>

not having a bbk to show off is one of my internal arguments for not getting a new set of wheels

when I was racing SCCA ITA I found the single most important brake upgrade was using proper pads (hawk blues, at the time) on stock rotors. Anything else would just fade away after a few laps. If you've ever experienced brake fade you KNOW you've experienced brake fade. There is no "well I guess it feels a little better"

Here is an example of a car with proper pads, vs a car with omg rice boy racing pads. Excuse the awful quality, gopro hadn't been invented yet.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:56 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Over the last few years reading this forum, I've seen a pattern of opinions that lead me to conclude the Akebono BBK is more show than go (or stop, LOL). And if you really want serious track brakes, this isn't the right setup.

Newt... Willwoods? Srsly? I know BBK has been on your list for a while, so very nice, man.

BTW, you have to put this Akbar ahole in your ignore list in order to bypass his lame hacking BS.
I think more aggressive pads and fresh fluid will be fine for the type of track--or spirited street--use most of us will subject our cars to. Realistically, it is still a 3700 pound four door sedan, not a race car.

Quick Reply: Impressions of Akebono upgrade