Stainless Steel Brake Lines + Akebonos

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 04:22 PM
IEMaestro
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, looks like I will be ordering the Goodridge kit. Where would be the best place to order it from? Also, since I have the OEM Akebonos, do I still need the four banjo bolts? TIA
Old 06-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Vance67

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Would this info hold true for a coupe? I have the Akebono BBK and want to add SS brake lines to my S coupe. SOunds like the best option is the Goodridge, right?

Also, I have found great prices for most things on conceptzperformance.com, but haven't compared prices of the SS lines

Also, how are the technafit SS lines
Old 06-11-2014, 04:26 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
I'm putting together a brake upgrade kit for my X sedan and want to add in a set of SS lines. It seems like I have a couple options: Goodridge, Z1, and Stoptech. From what I'm reading, it looks as if Goodridge is the most popular option.

My question is as follows:

Because I'm installing the Akebono calipers on my sedan, do I buy a SS line kit that is made for a coupe or for a sedan? I'm a little bit unclear on this aspect, and I want to ensure I order the right set of lines so I don't get stuck in the middle of an install.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!
RacingBrake is another option. racingbrake.com

I've got their 2-piece rotors and SS lines. So far they work great!
Old 06-11-2014, 05:25 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
I can vouch for ConceptZPerformance. The BBK I bought from them was top notch and you have a ton of options to chose from in regards to pads, rotors, brake lines.... The instal WAS NOT HARD at all! BUT, bleeding those suckers was a major PITA. I had a craftsman hand pump bleeder. It took an hour and a half to completely get all of the air out of the system. I was burnt and looking like a RED HOT candy when I finally finished around 3 in the afternoon. I started at roughly 730AM. I took my time to ensure it was done properly, but the effort was / is well worth it. I've had a bunch of compliments on the road and at my dealership. I'd say to all that want to make a go at the BBK that it is totally worth the money, The stopping power of these brakes over the stockies is night and day. Smooth and strong from any speed. I'm a happy camper.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:22 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
I went with OEM lines for my original BBK upgrade. Was going to switch out to SS lines but I'm going to wait until next year so I can see what Connor goes with and get some feedback. Hoping to swap out the rotors and calipers next weekend to finally complete this phase of the evolution.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:38 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
By swapping the stock brake lines for stainless, I don't think there's an appreciable difference between the two. If you're expecting a huge difference with SS lines, you may be a little disappointed.

I would say the dramatic difference over the stock sport rotors came from going to 2 piece rotors and better pads.

The more mine heat up, the more aggressively they bite. There were times with my stock Akebono's where I'd be concerned coming to a stop and having to exert a fair amount of effort on the brake pedal. With the RacingBrake setup (and in the same situation mentioned with the stock rotors and pads), the stopping power is violent but without a hint of squeal from the Michelin Pilot A/S 3's.

I think the car brakes the way it should have come from the factory. Before the 2010 G Sedan, I had an '04 G35 coupe with 13" Brembo's and I was impressed with those brakes. They truly felt like a sport package.

So going into the 2010, I had high expectations for the brakes as the rotors were nearly an inch larger. I was markedly underwhelmed and felt the Akebono's were a step backwards. This was most likely due to the pad compound being different and being targeted toward a (typically) less pure sport conscious sedan owner. I only got 19k miles on my G35's front Brembo pads. I was at ≈ 52k miles on the original pads when I went to the RacingBrake setup and they're still performing very well.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:08 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
So I'm about to install my akebono set on my x sedan. I have calipers new pads and rotors and hardware and got 4 new banjo bolts that are shorter. Do I need anything else to make these work. Minus trimming the dust shield?
Old 06-12-2014, 11:45 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Got beer?
Old 10-05-2014, 04:00 AM
wowwed
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Has anyone done this upgrade recently on a 2013 model? It may seem like it's just me, but the way all the line connects seems to be different from all the pictures I have seen online. The Z1 kit looks exactly the same as the Goodridge Phantom series. Anyone have any trouble securing the line back onto the car?
I'm currently installing this, and this is the only issue I'm having. This is taken on the front passenger side. I don't know how to secure the hose to the car which is circle in red. That bolt is not big enough for the retainer clip to lock it in place.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:04 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Everything should be the same for your 2013 model. Nothing significant was changed for the 2013 application in regards to the braking system.

To this date, I still haven't installed my Akebonos - my calipers are fully rebuilt, sitting in a box with rotors, and pads. I still need to get lines... Haven't made that decision as of yet
Old 10-05-2014, 11:12 PM
wowwed
Premier Member

Dough1397 had informed that the 2013 model had the brake line rerouted. If you look at the Z1 website it ask for build date. Before or after June 2012. I'm selling my lines on the forum because I just purchased the other ones from Z1
Old 10-06-2014, 11:39 AM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
Old style, aka "1 Lock Plate Type":

New style, aka "2 Lock Plates type":

references:
2012 G coupe service manual, page 22-23
Attached Thumbnails Stainless Steel Brake Lines + Akebonos-new.png   Stainless Steel Brake Lines + Akebonos-old.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
GAWD (10-06-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 06:51 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Good information here Dough -- thanks for that. I was under the impression most of the vehicle remained the same.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:58 PM
wowwed
Premier Member

Damn these minor changes!
Old 10-07-2014, 08:40 PM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Connoisseurr,

I got around to upgrading my entire brake system. Went with essentially all Stoptech (slotted rotors, brakelines) and then Hawk HPS pads and Motul RBF fluid.

Feels good although kind of hard to tell the brakeline improvement in itself with all of this being changed at once but the pressure feels good and consistent. Would have to agree with twin snail's comment above regarding rotors and the heat up for better braking performance/bite.

Quick Reply: Stainless Steel Brake Lines + Akebonos