Clunk Noise from Front Left Suspension area

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 08:30 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Clunk Noise from Front Left Suspension area

I am hearing a clunk noise when my suspension flexes over dips in the road at low and moderate speeds. It seems to be coming from the front left area of the car... hard to pinpoint. It it louder some days than others. Happens most prominently when turning left but on occasion when going straight as well.
I have been to the dealership a couple of times thus far and they haven't been able to pinpoint it as well. I am taking it back next week.

Anyone else experience this issue?

It might help to know my suspension mods? (see my sig) Tanabe Springs & Camber Kit.
I have also had my steering wheel replaced one and in doing do some sort of steering cable sprang loose that they had to replace (not even sure why they had to take it that far apart).

Never the less- any tech guys out there who might have a guess based on my ramblings?
Old 09-30-2013, 04:17 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
I am hearing a clunk noise when my suspension flexes over dips in the road at low and moderate speeds. It seems to be coming from the front left area of the car... hard to pinpoint. It it louder some days than others. Happens most prominently when turning left but on occasion when going straight as well.
I have been to the dealership a couple of times thus far and they haven't been able to pinpoint it as well. I am taking it back next week.

Anyone else experience this issue?

It might help to know my suspension mods? (see my sig) Tanabe Springs & Camber Kit.
I have also had my steering wheel replaced one and in doing do some sort of steering cable sprang loose that they had to replace (not even sure why they had to take it that far apart).

Never the less- any tech guys out there who might have a guess based on my ramblings?
Suspension clunks are usually caused by something gone loose.

Things to check are:
Tie rod ends
All bushings (control arms, sway bars, etc.)
Shock mounts
Wheel bearings
Basically any part that attaches to another part.

I'm surprised the dealer couldn't find the problem...
The following users liked this post:
KAHBOOM (10-04-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 12:10 PM
KAHBOOM

Originally Posted by rmfnla
Suspension clunks are usually caused by something gone loose.

Things to check are:
Tie rod ends
All bushings (control arms, sway bars, etc.)
Shock mounts
Wheel bearings
Basically any part that attaches to another part.

I'm surprised the dealer couldn't find the problem...
Yeah me too but I stopped by impromptu while I was able to replicate it for them. I'm taking it back on Monday when they will have more time to take things apart and take a look.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:37 PM
eVitO

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
How long have you had the Tanabe springs? Might be a blown shock. Is the ride harder than before?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:49 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by eVitO
How long have you had the Tanabe springs? Might be a blown shock. Is the ride harder than before?
Blown shock makes the car bounce, not the ride hard...
Old 10-06-2013, 04:20 PM
eVitO

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Blown shock makes the car bounce, not the ride hard...
Well, either way, it should feel worse than before.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:33 PM
KAHBOOM

Ive had the Tanabe springs about 41/2 years... The ride is the same.. Found out it was just a noisy strut... Nothing catastrophic just noisy... I'm getting both front struts replaced
Old 01-20-2017, 12:10 AM
xeus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have you ever had this one resolved?
Old 01-21-2017, 05:07 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Sway bar endlink
Old 01-23-2017, 10:12 AM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Make sure the nut thats screws in to the upper strut mount is tightened to fasten the spring properly. I remember when I replaced my springs and and reinstalled the upper strut mount and did not tighten it properly. I installed the strut back onto the car and after riding around I would here clunking noises over bumps. So make sure you torque the the nut properly. Assuming that this is your issue.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:59 PM
KAHBOOM

There was another thread regarding this that I had posted some time after this one. I had a noise from my tie rod end links which when replaced that noise disappeared.

I had a noise from my SPC camber kit. The rubber boot got old and clunked over bumps. Switched to SPL front camber kit and that noise went away
Old 01-23-2017, 05:07 PM
mhadford
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfnazi
Sway bar endlink
+1

and a few more characters...
Old 01-25-2017, 05:18 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
When the swaybar endlink Wears out and the rubber boot around the joint loses the grease it will click
Old 01-29-2017, 10:00 AM
xeus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for the reply guys. It helps a lot. I took the car to the dealership twice and they "could not" find the culprit. Last weekend going down the hill, where are a lot of transverse cracks on the road, it started severely clicking, clunking whatever you call it. It sounds like something is loose and bounces inside a compartment up and down. The car goes over one crack, this thing bounces at least 4-5 times.

Anyway, the hill takes a right turn and I had to slow down. To my surprise, the noise stopped whenever I hit the brakes. I tried at least six times. When pressed brake pedal, no noise. Remove your foot from the brake pedal, it's there. It only happens at cracks and dips. So, I though it was the brake pad shims. I told the dealership where to test and how to test it. They still could not find it. My guess is that they did not invest the time on it. What do you think it might be?
Old 01-29-2017, 04:03 PM
Nismo2k1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same here

Originally Posted by xeus
Thank you for the reply guys. It helps a lot. I took the car to the dealership twice and they "could not" find the culprit. Last weekend going down the hill, where are a lot of transverse cracks on the road, it started severely clicking, clunking whatever you call it. It sounds like something is loose and bounces inside a compartment up and down. The car goes over one crack, this thing bounces at least 4-5 times.

Anyway, the hill takes a right turn and I had to slow down. To my surprise, the noise stopped whenever I hit the brakes. I tried at least six times. When pressed brake pedal, no noise. Remove your foot from the brake pedal, it's there. It only happens at cracks and dips. So, I though it was the brake pad shims. I told the dealership where to test and how to test it. They still could not find it. My guess is that they did not invest the time on it. What do you think it might be?

funny. I'm having similar noises and came on here to find a possible solution. I'm on kw coilovers and hotchkis sway bars. Also hv a camber kit and adjustable sway links. The car is up on jacks rn so I'll try tightening everything I see and adjusting the end links. I'll report back if I get any results.

Quick Reply: Clunk Noise from Front Left Suspension area