Braking vibration.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Tiny's-G37s

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Braking vibration.

Hi guys, Recently I've been getting pretty bad vibration when braking. I'm thinking it's the rotors. I heard there is a recall / tsb for them. Should i try to get the dealer to replace them or should I just go aftermarket.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:03 PM
BluestickG

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
your rotors are warped. Get then either resurfaced or get new rotors. Dealership will not replace them
Old 09-16-2013, 02:37 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
wouldn cut them, Just get new one, Just me tho.
once they warp IMO to far gone to cut them,
Old 09-16-2013, 02:52 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Good excuse to get drilled/slotted ones!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:47 PM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
It's brake judder..and like rmfnla said, get those drilled and slotted lol.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:50 PM
Yan141

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
time for pair of new tors.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Tiny's-G37s

Which ones should I go with, just slotted or drilled+slotted? Also which brand would you guys recommend I go with? I also heard they have cyro treated rotors. Anyone have experience with them? Are they really better or last longer?
Old 09-17-2013, 03:50 PM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
I've got stoptech pads, and rotors from
Brake Rotors Brake Discs Drilled Slotted Rotors
I went with drilled and slotted with the pads from
RockAuto Parts Catalog
Old 09-17-2013, 04:28 PM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by Tiny's-G37s
Which ones should I go with, just slotted or drilled+slotted? Also which brand would you guys recommend I go with? I also heard they have cyro treated rotors. Anyone have experience with them? Are they really better or last longer?

Go for the drilled; you probably won't notice any difference in performance but they just look so cool!

The only downside is they'll make you want to paint your calipers...

Don't know anything about cryo treated rotors; did a google but only came up with propoganda from people who do it, nothing really neutral.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Well lot's of B.S. going on here but that's to be expected. Drilled rotors for the street may look cool but you get less surface area and thus potentially less brake potential. Slotted rotors would be a better choice. Also brake shudder isn't always caused by warped rotors as much as poor brake pad break-in procedures. Get the original rotor turned very slightly and if they are in spec. then re-bed the new pads correctly into the rotor. This will transfer the pad material into the rotor surface evenly and thus when applied in the future you will get a smooth even pedal even when pressed hard. Remember it's the pad material imbedded into the rotor face acting on the brake pads when used which is giving you your best braking performance. Hopefully you haven't abused the rotors enough to create hot spots which have hardened the rotor material in spots which can never be turned out. Read "Stoptech's white papers on their web site for more accurate information about to problem of so called warp rotors. Good info. which will allow you to spend your money wisely. Good luck.

Al
Old 09-19-2013, 06:29 PM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by Track Bandit
Well lot's of B.S. going on here but that's to be expected. Drilled rotors for the street may look cool but you get less surface area and thus potentially less brake potential. Slotted rotors would be a better choice. Also brake shudder isn't always caused by warped rotors as much as poor brake pad break-in procedures. Get the original rotor turned very slightly and if they are in spec. then re-bed the new pads correctly into the rotor. This will transfer the pad material into the rotor surface evenly and thus when applied in the future you will get a smooth even pedal even when pressed hard. Remember it's the pad material imbedded into the rotor face acting on the brake pads when used which is giving you your best braking performance. Hopefully you haven't abused the rotors enough to create hot spots which have hardened the rotor material in spots which can never be turned out. Read "Stoptech's white papers on their web site for more accurate information about to problem of so called warp rotors. Good info. which will allow you to spend your money wisely. Good luck.

Al
Insignificant...
Old 09-20-2013, 09:16 AM
Kirkules

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used slotted, Cryo treated rotors on three vehicles. Two of them were warping regular rotors every 30K miles or so. I put 70k and 90k on after the upgrade and they were still going strong when I sold the cars.
I agree with Track Bandit on the drilled rotors - I wouldn't have them. Less surface, more brittle. Seen pics of them shattered when pushed. Slotted improves brake performance and doesn't make the rotor brittle. The slots decrease the water film on your rotors in the rain, decrease braking temps, and carry away the braking gasses - all of which make your brakes faster, firmer & longer lasting.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:46 AM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by Kirkules
I've used slotted, Cryo treated rotors on three vehicles. Two of them were warping regular rotors every 30K miles or so. I put 70k and 90k on after the upgrade and they were still going strong when I sold the cars.
I agree with Track Bandit on the drilled rotors - I wouldn't have them. Less surface, more brittle. Seen pics of them shattered when pushed. Slotted improves brake performance and doesn't make the rotor brittle. The slots decrease the water film on your rotors in the rain, decrease braking temps, and carry away the braking gasses - all of which make your brakes faster, firmer & longer lasting.
Again, the reduction in surface area is insignificant.

Shattering is caused by stress risers created when the holes were drilled; the solution is a slight chamfer or cast the rotor with the hole in place.

Good info on slotted; interesting to hear about the cryo.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:31 PM
roxmysox99

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just a heads up, my dealership resurfaced my rotors for a vibration when braking. Granted my g37 is a 2011.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Tiny's-G37s

Thanks for all the replies guys. Any suggestions on which slotted, cyro treated rotors to get? I kinda don't want one's that are made in China.

Quick Reply: Braking vibration.