Braking vibration.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 02:40 AM
photopro
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
dont get slots...

Originally Posted by rmfnla
Again, the reduction in surface area is insignificant.

Shattering is caused by stress risers created when the holes were drilled; the solution is a slight chamfer or cast the rotor with the hole in place.

Good info on slotted; interesting to hear about the cryo.
had them on my Charger and made whirring sound during braking... also less surface area which at times increased braking distances. Most good OEM rotors (Merecedes, etc.) are drilled with chamfered holes to reduce cracking at the point of contact. My rotors wore well, never vibrated even with the crap system on the charger but i would never get slots again... you dont see slots on any high priced autos... drilled but not slots.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:26 AM
photopro
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
09’ G37X has approx. 34K miles. Monday, the dealer replaced the rotors which were only a few months old (supplied by dealer I bought car from in June). They said the runout was severely out of round. Wanted to charge me over $300 for stock pads. I said I would get pads elsewhere right after I left the dealer. Gave me a song and dance that the warranty only covers OEM parts and if different shims, etc. were used and there was a problem it would not be covered. Mr. Tire checked alignment, OK, replaced front pads, said backs were fine. Bedded them in immediately after installation albeit in the rain. I heard a slight judder sound, and now it seems to be constant, and very loud when I brake. Almost like a caliper is sticking or one of the front pistons is stuck. Taking it back to Mr. Tire 1st , and then the dealer if no satisfaction there. Brakes aren’t rocket science!!