This is driving me crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 04:36 PM
jfoote2307

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is driving me crazy!

I've searched and can't find anything regarding the issue I'm having. Hopefully someone can give some advice or point me towards a thread that I missed.

Changed my sport pads and had the rotors resurfaced, and now I have this annoying squeal when I'm driving coming from the rear passenger side. When I press the brake the sound goes away and everything is fine no other issues. Car stops fine no shudder or other noises, but as soon as I let off the brake this squeal starts up again. I initially thought after some daily driving the sound would diminish but it's still there after a week.

Driving through my neighborhood is getting a little embarrassing, sounds like an old squeaky truck or something. Anyone else went through this problem?
Old 08-16-2013, 04:53 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
Have you noticed any discoloration or uneven streaking on your rotors? It might not be a bad idea to get into the wheel well and check to make sure nothing behind the rotor is rubbing.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:57 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Was grease applied to the pad shims and the sliders?
Old 08-16-2013, 05:02 PM
daonlyillwiz

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
did you break in the new pads/resurfaced rotor??

AKA go really fast then come to a stop or slow down really fast...do that 1 or 2 times and you should be fine. This is of course assuming the squeaking isnt coming from the pad shims/sliders which is generally caused by not greasing them.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:25 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Was grease applied to the pad shims and the sliders?

This.

Brake squeal comes from friction when the pad vibrates while the brakes are applied.

There are numerous high-temp greases formulated for exactly this purpose; sounds like the shop (or you?) forgot to use it on that one wheel...
Old 08-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Sounds like possibly a brake pad wear indicator tab is bent and making contact with the rotor. Check that and if so, just bend it back.
The following users liked this post:
jfoote2307 (08-17-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 06:07 PM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Sounds like possibly a brake pad wear indicator tab is bent and making contact with the rotor. Check that and if so, just bend it back.

I think you are right.

I re-read the post and noticed: When I press the brake the sound goes away and everything is fine no other issues. Car stops fine no shudder or other noises, but as soon as I let off the brake this squeal starts up again.

Good catch!

Trending Topics

Old 08-16-2013, 07:25 PM
jfoote2307

Thanks for all of the info. I'm taking it back in on Monday to get this resolved, so it's nice to have an idea of what to tell them to look for. I'm not sure if they greased the shims or sliders. As for the pad wear indicator, I will definitely tell them to check it out. Where is the indicator actually located, sorry but I'm not one to work on my own car. I wish I knew how, but just never had anyone to guide me.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:56 PM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by jfoote2307
Thanks for all of the info. I'm taking it back in on Monday to get this resolved, so it's nice to have an idea of what to tell them to look for. I'm not sure if they greased the shims or sliders. As for the pad wear indicator, I will definitely tell them to check it out. Where is the indicator actually located, sorry but I'm not one to work on my own car. I wish I knew how, but just never had anyone to guide me.

The indicator is a smaill piece of formed sheet metal that attaches to the brake pad. It will have a tab that should be about 3/4" from the rotor when the pad is new.

This tab contacts the rotor when the pad has worn down and the resultant noise is what you are hearing now, which is why Black Betty thinks it is bent.

I think so, too.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:57 PM
jfoote2307

Well, I finally got some time off work to get this checked out. Took it back to the shop and they basically gave me the run around. Indicator was fine, they greased the shims again and the noise is still there. They tried telling me there was a TSB out for a new shim kit and to call the dealer for the parts.
Called over to a dealer and no TSB's are out and shim kits are hardly ever replaced unless they are rusted or bent. They advised that aftermarket pads sometimes don't fit properly and will often make noises. The pads I had installed were the Akebono Euro Ceramic Pads from tirerack (part# ASP1346, ASP1347).
So, don't really know what I'm going to do. Maybe take it to a different local shop that is actually infiniti certified to check it out, deal with the noise until new pads are needed, or get raped by the dealership to inspect. Any other suggestions are much appreciated.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:59 PM
rmfnla

One other thought:

Make sure the pads are free to move in the calipers without getting hung up.

When you let off the brakes the pads should be able to back off the rotor.

If a pad is still making contact with the rotor when the brakes are not engaged it can cause vibration that will noise like you describe.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:32 PM
jfoote2307

Here is a video I took earlier today. Right around 13 sec is when you can really hear it and at 21 sec I begin to brake.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:57 PM
Bunzil

Based on the sound in the video it sure sounds like either metal on metal or some dirt (small stone or rust) on metal. Since everything has been replaced it's unlikely dirt or rust and more likely an improperly installed shim. I wouldn't take it to the dealer = $$. Any decent garage can check this out in less than an hour which will save you some coin. Too bad you don't do this work yourself because it's pretty easy stuff. If it were me, I'd remove it all and look for fresh metal scratches on the shims. Lacking that, I'd make sure the shims were rust free and properly lubricated.

It could be the pads of course, but it sure doesn't sound like it. Since they are new, and the rotors were resurfaced, swapping the pads with the left side is another course of action since they will seat differently against the rotor. That alone might fix the problem.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:34 PM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by jfoote2307
Well, I finally got some time off work to get this checked out. Took it back to the shop and they basically gave me the run around. Indicator was fine, they greased the shims again and the noise is still there. They tried telling me there was a TSB out for a new shim kit and to call the dealer for the parts.
Called over to a dealer and no TSB's are out and shim kits are hardly ever replaced unless they are rusted or bent. They advised that aftermarket pads sometimes don't fit properly and will often make noises. The pads I had installed were the Akebono Euro Ceramic Pads from tirerack (part# ASP1346, ASP1347).
So, don't really know what I'm going to do. Maybe take it to a different local shop that is actually infiniti certified to check it out, deal with the noise until new pads are needed, or get raped by the dealership to inspect. Any other suggestions are much appreciated.
This kind of crap pisses me off.

I would ask them to show me the TSB, and when they can't demand a refund for at least the labor portion of your bill.

Too many monkeys out there working on cars...
Old 08-30-2013, 03:05 PM
jfoote2307

I definitely should have asked for a printout or something of the TSB, but I did get the labor taken off the bill.

Some guys in my local g/z club said it sounded like the rear axle. Anybody have thoughts on that?

Quick Reply: This is driving me crazy!