Got my new cross drilled rotors and ceramic pads today!! need help please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:53 PM
tattoo400

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my new cross drilled rotors and ceramic pads today!! need help please!

Okay, I know I have asked this before (anyone have a link to a DIY for the rotors/pads change) and I did get a link to a vid on Youtube but good god was it a mess of a vid! I couldn't see ANYTHING! the dude didn't explain much as he went along and it was next to useless for me at least. I have done a caliper/pad & rotor change on my 03' WRX so I am no stranger to the job. I just want to make sure I have all necessary tools and am aware of all the special quirks to the 08' G37s. SO if anyone has done it....can you please at least give me a list of the required tools involved and if you can some torque specs? Remember, I am almost half blind and need all the help I can get here. I am confident that I can do it but it will be ALLOT easier if I know all the details before I start. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:59 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
wow! really!!! why do post like this start out with someone with a 08 model year!!!

I think you should take your car to someone who knows what they are doing and is not half blind!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:17 AM
tattoo400

Yea yea yea....spare me the cynical crap, I have already gotten my share of that from other's on this site and it isn't helping. What the hell is the point of the forum if people can't get HELPFUL information from it?! LIKE I SAID...I have done this type of job before and am just looking for tips for the G's different set up. I may be half blind but I will STILL get the job done and post pics.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:36 AM
DeamonG37s

Brakes r serious parts if you mess up. My advice is have someone help you the first time to check your work to ensure for safety. Mess this up it could b ur last mistake or even worse you can hurt someone else.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:46 AM
DeamonG37s

If u can do brakes on wrx u can do brakes on a g37. Its all the same concept. Could be a hyundai or a ferrari same principles apply. If your asking this it doesn't seem like you done a lot of brake jobs on ur wrx...
Old 03-06-2013, 02:25 AM
tattoo400

Well one thing I have learned in my 16 years of working on cars is to not be intimidated by the job. If you have access to the proper tools and the time to complete the job, then it can be done......and done safely. I am over inquiring about the details of the job because I need to know ahead of time what I am looking for (where exactly the little pins are that hold the pads in place and the positions of the caliper bolts etc.) so that I can do this as though I could see normally. There are many ways to be "blind" or "blinded" but not all way's include having to become a complete dependent. Id say thanks for the help....but, you weren't really.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:22 AM
DeamonG37s

Hey I found this https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...n-08-g37s.html
Old 03-06-2013, 06:40 AM
DeamonG37s

Off my memory I did my Gs brakes a year ago..
Bolts are behind the caliper so u gottta turn the wheel to access it. I believe theirs 2or 3 bolts to remove to free the cailper. 2 of the same size and 1 different I think. Find a wire to support your caliper so it doesn't hang off the brake line. Remove pads and shim. Save the shim. Remember how the pads came off where the shim was and details so u know how the new ones go in. Putting them in is tricky keep an eye on how the pin works and is positioned. No tricks here really jus common sense and patience. Maybe their are tricks but I don't change my pads that much to know. Using a clamp and ur old pads (also protect ur calipers) compress the piston back flat so u can fit ur new pads in. Make sure u put it in right. Remove the rotor with a soft faced hammer don't forget to remove the philips screw on the rotor. I probably forgot sum stuff but its essentially like that. Sorry if I forgot sum stuff. That diy looks better than what I got lol

Last edited by DeamonG37s; 03-06-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:52 AM
unknowndesi
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Turn your wheel all the way to the right and start on the left side.
remove the two pins that hold the brake pads in. This is done by removing the cotter pins that lock the pad pins in place.
Pull out the old pads and don't loose the pins.
Remove the bolt holding the brake line down.
Remove the two bolts holding the caliper in place these are located behind the caliper.
Zip tie or bungee the caliper so it does not hang off the brake line
Pull off the rotor
Clean everything with brake cleaner
Push the caliper pistons back into place so you can get the new meatier pads to fit
Put in the new rotor and hold it in place with one of your available lug nuts
Install the caliper back on
Put in the new pads
Put the puds back in and that should be all
If I missed something then you're screwed. Just follow the YouTube video
Old 03-06-2013, 08:36 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
C'mon guys. Just because he's half blind doesn't mean he's an idiot. People learn to live with their "disabilities" much to the point that they don't even consider them disabilities. Not everyone is lucky to have fully functioning everything.

Tattoo, I don't know if this helps or not but if you've done a pad and rotor change on any other car, you'll be able to do this one fine. Luckily, most brake jobs are pretty similar. The video does a good job of *showing* you what you'll need to remove and whatnot, even if the voice instruction is not quite there. If you have a decent collection of tools, you should be able to tackle the job without too many issues. Once you've gotten some experience with one side, the other should be much faster. Again, I'm sure that wasn't very helpful, but I felt I needed to say something.

GL!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:15 AM
daonlyillwiz

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by tattoo400
Well one thing I have learned in my 16 years of working on cars is to not be intimidated by the job. If you have access to the proper tools and the time to complete the job, then it can be done......and done safely. I am over inquiring about the details of the job because I need to know ahead of time what I am looking for (where exactly the little pins are that hold the pads in place and the positions of the caliper bolts etc.) so that I can do this as though I could see normally. There are many ways to be "blind" or "blinded" but not all way's include having to become a complete dependent. Id say thanks for the help....but, you weren't really.

16 years and asking for advice on a brake job....dude brakes arent that hard ESPECIALLY if you have 16 years of experience...just saying.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:26 AM
DeamonG37s

Swiss Cheese I'm pretty sure me and unkown gave him better advice than u did... All u did was say what's been said In ur own words and well nothing else... No one refered to him as a idiot or anything like that... Did u not read the posts? When I comment on a thread I try to help ppl that's what forums are for. I posted a link to a diy and tried to explain in my memory what to do. And explained him the seriousness of this job. So b4 u judge ppl judge urself.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:32 AM
tattoo400

Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz
16 years and asking for advice on a brake job....dude brakes arent that hard ESPECIALLY if you have 16 years of experience...just saying.
They are when you lost a fair portion of your usable vision after you got a new car that you have not worked on yet.....just being precautionary, that's all. Thanks for the actual help you guys!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:41 AM
DeamonG37s

No worries glad to help out, those pins will be pita. Patience is key for the pins take a pic before u fully remove should help u see what u gotta do to put it back together...
Old 03-06-2013, 10:56 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
I'm not here for arguments. GTLAW basically said is half blindness is a crutch and your first post basically said that don't mess up cuz you can die. How helpful is that? Unknown had the only helpful post. I was basically just telling you guys to chill out. I don't care if you think my post was helpful or not but I can't stand bullies. Again, "the wiz" posted another "helpful" post. Whatever. This forum has turned into a joke for people looking for real help short of using google.

Quick Reply: Got my new cross drilled rotors and ceramic pads today!! need help please!