Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

Dropped on Swift's Sport Springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 11:17 AM
jktinen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone install the springs them selves? My mechanic wants $400 for the labor so Im leaning towards making a weekend out of it and try it my self. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:48 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
^ Yep.

You need a good strut spring compressor (like this, what i have), a ratchet, sockets, PB blaster and ideally an impact.

I find the impact helpful in loosening everything. For compressing the springs, i find a ratchet more helpful ... lots of elbow-grease though.

p.s. If your isolators are worn, you can use a good quality spiral cable wrap. Here's mine to give you an idea of how to use it.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:13 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jktinen
Anyone install the springs them selves? My mechanic wants $400 for the labor so Im leaning towards making a weekend out of it and try it my self. Thanks in advance!
Wow...that's crazy steep. Mine only wanted $220 for labor.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,576 Likes on 3,426 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
I was thinking the same thing. $300 seems almost fair, IMO. Less even considering the rear spring & strut layout in the G.

All this stuff can roughly get broken down as $80/hour, and then you do the math. jktinen's mechanic sees this as a 5-hour job. That's his call.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Redpit

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by jktinen
I got springs installed on my last car since I was feeling lazy. I found most mechanics say $100 a corner, but the rears on most cars are super easy (the G seems no different). So I found bargaining power in saying I would do the rears myself, and was able to talk most down to $75 a corner if I got all 4 done. So that's what I did, and what I would try if I were you.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:59 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
Where was this?

I got a "real" great deal on my Swift install...$150 complete.
This is not typical pricing for John @ RW&T, made me an exception.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:04 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dragion
Where was this?

I got a "real" great deal on my Swift install...$150 complete.
This is not typical pricing for John @ RW&T, made me an exception.
I didn't get mine installed, because I'm still thinking about the camber kit if I should need it or not.

I found a garage in Boston that was actually pretty good...He gave me a deal on installing my sways and my intakes while cleaning my throttle bodies and also installing my illuminated kick plates for $160 total. He's an active member on the myg37 forums and he has a garage in Brighton and also owns a g37 coupe that he mods himself, so I trust him to do work on my car. His garage is located right behind Advance Auto which is extremely convenient.

His garage has amazing reviews on Yelp, and his brother owns a BMW 3 series which is also modded (He told me how installing sway bars on the BMW is a huge PITA.)

I'm going to go to him for oil changes and other maintenance stuff for my car from now on and maybe other mods.

I'm thinking of giving up on the spring install and going for cosmetic upgrades, like a spoiler from Stillen. My ride is already pretty harsh with the upgraded Hotchkis Sways, and I don't want to make it any harsher getting springs and also risking damaging other stuff by making car lower. The potholes around are horrendous.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 03-06-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:11 PM
dragion
Registered Member

I didn't get mine installed, because I'm still thinking about the camber kit if I should need it or not.

I found a garage in Boston that was actually pretty good...He gave me a deal on installing my sways and my intakes with also illuminated kick plates for $160 total. He's an active member on the myg37 forums and he has a garage in Brighton and also owns a g37 coupe that he mods himself, so I trust him to do work on my car. His garage is located right behind Advance Auto which is extremely convenient.
What's the name of the Garage?
Is this near Pizza Regina (formerly Sports Depo) off of Cambridge St. in Brighton?

I hoping that the camber kit is not needed...will find out once my spacers are installed and then go for my alignment.

The Swift drop is something that will put a "smile" on your face though!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:14 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

It is off Cambridge St, right behind advance auto parts. Can't remember the garage name, but the mechanic's name is Steve. He's very friendly and he knows his stuff.

EDIT:
Found the name:

A & I's Auto Repair
http://www.yelp.com/biz/a-and-i-s-auto-repair-allston
Old 03-06-2013, 10:17 PM
dragion
Registered Member

It is off Cambridge St, right behind advance auto parts. Can't remember the garage name, but the mechanic's name is Steve. He's very friendly and he knows his stuff.
EDIT:
Found the name:

A & I's Auto Repair
A & I 's Auto Repair - Allston/Brighton - Allston, MA
Will have to check it out...maybe meet up one day?

Thanks for finding the link.
I'm in the Allston/Brighton area a lot...look out for me!

Last edited by dragion; 03-06-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:22 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Will have to check it out...maybe meet up one day?
If you're up for it. I always bring my car to his garage after his shop hours so it felt like a more personal service.

Just wondering, can you tell me if your car is jarring after the spring install? I'm afraid that when I get the Swift springs that I'm going to feel every single sewer top, pothole, and crevice in the road that it will drive me nuts.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:39 PM
dragion
Registered Member

If you're up for it. I always bring my car to his garage after his shop hours so it felt like a more personal service.

Just wondering, can you tell me if your car is jarring after the spring install? I'm afraid that when I get the Swift springs that I'm going to feel every single sewer top, pothole, and crevice in the road that it will drive me nuts.
The ride depends on the roads...when they are smooth, the ride is very smooth, but when going over uneven roads, then you will feel more of it.
Avoid all potholes and raised manholes if possible. The only real concern is uneven dips in the road...they can be a bit jarring.
I'm very surprised on how well the Swifts perform tonight with a full load...4 adults & one child. Drove up Commonwealth Ave toward B.C. and it was so smooth...felt better than stock!

My friend who owns a stock 2010 G37x coupe is now convinced to get the Swifts himself after the ride!

I was 2nd guessing myself before I installed them, but now I'm glad I did!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:46 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

The ride depends on the roads...when they are smooth, the ride is very smooth, but when going over uneven roads, then you will feel more of it.
Avoid all potholes and raised manholes if possible. The only real concern is uneven dips in the road...they can be a bit jarring.
I'm very surprised on how well the Swifts perform tonight with a full load...4 adults & one child. Drove up Commonwealth Ave toward B.C. and it was so smooth...felt better than stock!

My friend who owns a stock 2010 G37x coupe is now convinced to get the Swifts himself after the ride!

I was 2nd guessing myself before I installed them, but now I'm glad I did!
Hmm, okay. I'm just eager to learn about your alignment results! I don't want my camber to be out of spec.

Even if I go over manholes with my OEM springs, I also feel more of it since of the sway bars.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Hmm, okay. I'm just eager to learn about your alignment results! I don't want my camber to be out of spec.

Even if I go over manholes with my OEM springs, I also feel more of it since of the sway bars.
Will definitely post my alignment results when I get it done.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:45 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Any rubbing of any kind? Do you need spacers?

Quick Reply: Dropped on Swift's Sport Springs