Powertrix Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 02:39 PM
surfwagon

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've got it at 8 just like you. I might try a 9 though. Dealing with Charles was such a great experience. I hung out with him a couple of times when I owned my Z32. He's a super nice guy.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:21 AM
surfwagon

I changed the damping. I'm at 9 front and 10 rear. The rear needed a little more control. I'm running Hotchkis sways also. Dude this car feels 1000x better now. Ridiculousness! FI RHFC's are going on tomorrow!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:24 PM
san~man

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
what's the minimum height drop on these?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:40 PM
surfwagon

I'm not sure. I believe you can keep the stock ride height if you want. I'll ask Charles and let you know. Are you in San Diego?
Old 12-15-2012, 05:54 PM
san~man

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by surfwagon
I'm not sure. I believe you can keep the stock ride height if you want. I'll ask Charles and let you know. Are you in San Diego?
No, I'm not in SD.

I doubt you can keep the stock ride height. I'm not aware of any CO system that allows you to keep the factory ride height (smallest minimum drop I've seen was like .5")
Old 12-20-2012, 06:42 PM
InspiredMan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
another random coilover company. Kinda weird that the owner of a company would install coilovers. Do you think that the onwer of kw, tein, hks, tanabe, ohlins, cusco goes around and installs coilovers?
Old 12-20-2012, 08:32 PM
surfwagon

Not at all random. He's been in business longer than Stance. He's just not a huge company. He specializes in the 300ZX and drives a 370Z and has a few 300ZX's. I highly recommend these coilovers. I'm much happier with Powertrix than I was with KW. I'm very surprised more guys aren't buying these up. If anyone is local and wants to check them out let me know.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:20 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Not at all random. He's been in business longer than Stance. He's just not a huge company. He specializes in the 300ZX and drives a 370Z and has a few 300ZX's. I highly recommend these coilovers. I'm much happier with Powertrix than I was with KW. I'm very surprised more guys aren't buying these up. If anyone is local and wants to check them out let me know.
yup, i know a couple of guys wit 300zx's and powertrix has been very good to their community
Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jujubii
i got 'em

very good to me so far. no apparent issues as of yet. owned them for 3/4 a year now. selected them because they are the shiz in the z32 crowd and got a personal reccomendation. the owner gave me a good deal. damping is adjusted on the top for the rear shocks' so the owner drilled a small hole in trunk, behind the lining and installed extenders for me; theyre hidden pretty well.

regrets? yea, after doing more suspension research i wish i got a true coilover setup (this coilover option is coilover sleeve type) so that i could replace the 'spring buckets' with a toe arm; so my only toe adjusting option is limited to the OEM range (because i refuse to make the toe bolt cut outs). however, i have a very mild drow approx 27" from the floor to the middle of the fender and i have perfect rear toe. also, spl will probably come out with the mid links like for the z33s which are replacement 'spring buckets' with toe adjustability.
Hi sorry for the noob question. What do you mean by "replace the spring buckets"? The toe bolt cut out is also referred to as elongating the hole to allow more adjustment? Why is this a bad thing to do? Warranty/safety?

I changed the damping. I'm at 9 front and 10 rear. The rear needed a little more control. I'm running Hotchkis sways also. Dude this car feels 1000x better now. Ridiculousness! FI RHFC's are going on tomorrow!
The higher the number the softer? I have stock G37X (LP sedan too ) with hotchiks sway. When I go over alternating bumps, I get rock side to side like those bobbing figurines that you put on the dash. I am looking for a more softer/comfortable ride than stock but able to handle those spirited occasions. Or there is no such thing. Wouldnt the swaybar and progressive springs offset the softer setting during cornering or sudden swirl?

Whats the difference between true coilover and these? What is true coilover?

Promise last noob question, looking at the powertrix website. I am not 100% if I understood what they saying about adjusting height and spring preload. The way I understood it is that, height adjustment does not make your car feel stiffer or softer. Correct?

Let me just add, I dont track (still researching), just looking for a mild drop, softer/comfortable ride. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 PM
surfwagon

I can't answer all over your questions but I can help with a few. FWIW, I still love these coilovers. They are fantastic.

Originally Posted by sneakers
Hi sorry for the noob question. What do you mean by "replace the spring buckets"? The toe bolt cut out is also referred to as elongating the hole to allow more adjustment? Why is this a bad thing to do? Warranty/safety?

I'm staying at about a 1" drop so I'm not sure if I will need to do this. All you are doing though is drilling a larger hole. It will not affect safety. As far as warranty goes you are replacing the entire suspension so there is nothing left to warranty.

The higher the number the softer? I have stock G37X (LP sedan too ) with hotchiks sway. When I go over alternating bumps, I get rock side to side like those bobbing figurines that you put on the dash. I am looking for a more softer/comfortable ride than stock but able to handle those spirited occasions. Or there is no such thing. Wouldnt the swaybar and progressive springs offset the softer setting during cornering or sudden swirl?

As the numbers go up the suspension becomes more stiff. The aftermarket sway bars cause the side to side rocking. The coilovers shouldn't change this too much. You might want to change the setting on the coilovers to make them less stiff. Honestly, if you are looking for a ride that is more comfortable than stock I don't know if I would recommend changing your suspension at all.

Whats the difference between true coilover and these? What is true coilover?

If you look at your springs/shocks on the front and then look at the same thing on the rear. The front has a shock with the spring COIL over/surrounding the shock. In the rear the shock is in a separate location that's in front of the spring. Powertrix uses this same setup as do most manufacturers. A true coilover setup with have the COILS over the shocks on all 4 corners.
Promise last noob question, looking at the powertrix website. I am not 100% if I understood what they saying about adjusting height and spring preload. The way I understood it is that, height adjustment does not make your car feel stiffer or softer. Correct?

The height doesn't determine stiffness. On other setups lowering the car decreases the suspension travel and will make it more stiff.
Let me just add, I dont track (still researching), just looking for a mild drop, softer/comfortable ride. Thanks.

I don't track my car either but let me tell you that my car is soooo much fun to drive now. You turn the wheel and it responds instantly without delay. I actually used to think it was a little boring to drive.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

I can't answer all over your questions but I can help with a few. FWIW, I still love these coilovers. They are fantastic.

Thanks for accomodating me . Really appreciate it.

So around 5/6 setting is near stock. Now you have at 10 . Just to get an idea of what 10 feels like, 100% being twice the stiffness and 0% stock like. How you rate 10? Just trying to get an idea what 0 on the dampening would feels like.

How hard is it to change the height for someone who at most change tire to a spare. Was thinking raise car during winter and lower a bit when snow clears.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:46 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Lmfao at this thread
Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 PM
surfwagon

You could adjust the height without a problem in an hour at the absolute max. Stiffness is tough to gauge. I think I had it set to 7 when I first bought them. I'm currently at 9 for the front and 10 for the rear. I will probably dial it back to an 8 in the front and a 9 in the rear. This for me will probably be perfect. My guess is that you could achieve stock comfort at around a 5. I think you said you have the AWD. I don't know if these will fit. Call Charles and ask.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:19 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

You could adjust the height without a problem in an hour at the absolute max. Stiffness is tough to gauge. I think I had it set to 7 when I first bought them. I'm currently at 9 for the front and 10 for the rear. I will probably dial it back to an 8 in the front and a 9 in the rear. This for me will probably be perfect. My guess is that you could achieve stock comfort at around a 5. I think you said you have the AWD. I don't know if these will fit. Call Charles and ask.
I contacted Charles and he said he will look into awd application.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:12 PM
surfwagon

That's great to hear. These coilovers are really great. No issues at all.