Notices
Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

BC Coilover Review

Old 10-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Lake,an

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
BC Coilover Review

I installed the BC coilovers with Swift springs a couple months ago.The kit came with 12K Front 10K Rear spring rates.The install was a piece of cake.

The rear shock has the damping adjustment **** on the upper side of the shock.You still have to remove the tire to adjust.

The ride and handling was great.The car tracked great on cornering and there was zero body roll.

After one week of running this setup the rear would keep settling.I would adjust and a few days later it would settle again.After a few weeks the rear springs settled 1.5".The spring perch was adjusted all the way high.

After working with Leo from Swift and doing the math he came up with trying a 14k 9" spring.After installing the spring the drop was only .5 and the ride was very stiff.So I tried a 10K 9" rear spring.

Well after 2000 miles the springs are great.No settling and the handing and ride is excellent.I have the front damping set at 10 clicks hard and the rear at 7 clicks hard.This is my wife's car so I only wanted a 1"drop for the rear and 1.5"for the front,that is why i went with a coilover setup.I did not think that the ride would be better then stock (stiffer),But the ride is by far much better then stock.

I have also been working with Sam at BC with the Swift spring setup.BC did all there R&D with there spring before they released the kit.They can not R&D every spring out there,So it was a crap shoot on what spring rate to run with Swifts.I was fine with trying different springs to fine the right setup.All I can say that BC has great customer service and Sam is a stand up guy.

I also was working with Strange on the boards.He also purchased the same kit,But went with 8KF/8KR springs.I am sure he will post what he went through,But that setup did not work.He is running the BC rears right now and I think they are to low for what he wants.

I have heard a lot of bad reviews on BC coilovers.All I can say is the ride is great.I have no noise issues after 2500 miles and there customer service is great!!!!

My drop right now is 1.2"rear/1.6front.There is adjustment in the rear for 2" more drop and about 1" to go higher.I am on Ifordged 20" wheels 8 1/2"Front 10' rear.Tires 285/30/20 Rear 245/35/20 Front.Ground to fender rim is 26.7" Rear 26.3 Front.

I have also talked with Chris Hinds at SPC.They have no plans on making a rear camber arm for the vert.He thinks the camber bolt kit will work on the vert.If it works it will give about 1 more degree of adjustment,but that is better then nothing.The camber arm is only good for that much if you want to keep the toe in spec.The camber arm is capable of changing camber by huge amounts,but you can't get toe back in spec because you're still limited by the cam adjustment range of toe.He is sending me a bolt to try,if it works i will post my findings

Here are a few pictures of the drop.

I am also thinking about removing the centers of the wheels and getting them powder coated gunmetal or matte black.What do you think? The price I paid for the wheels was 0,so i can't bitch about the finish.
Attached Thumbnails BC Coilover Review-spring-001.jpg   BC Coilover Review-10122012-108.jpg   BC Coilover Review-10122012-112.jpg   BC Coilover Review-10122012-111.jpg   BC Coilover Review-10122012-107.jpg  

Old 10-13-2012, 12:37 PM
timfactor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad to hear and good review. I also have BC's without any issues. My car is pretty slammed. Go for the sway bars I did and the ride is incredible.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:20 PM
JohnsVert

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Great looking car, nice to see coilovers on a vert.

Btw how much was the setup?
Old 10-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Lake,an

Originally Posted by JohnsVert View Post
Great looking car, nice to see coilovers on a vert.

Btw how much was the setup?
With the Swifts,you are looking around $1,320.00.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:21 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What was your reason for using the Swift springs instead of the springs that come with the BC's?
Old 10-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Lake,an

Originally Posted by tejasg37x View Post
What was your reason for using the Swift springs instead of the springs that come with the BC's?
A lot of people have told me including BC,that the ride quality from the the Swifts is superior to the BC spring.This is my wife's DD,So I did not want a ear full everytime she drove it.I know that the BC springs drop the rear pretty low even with the spring perch adjusted all the way high...
Old 10-13-2012, 02:59 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lake,an View Post
A lot of people have told me including BC,that the ride quality from the the Swifts is superior to the BC spring.This is my wife's DD,So I did not want a ear full everytime she drove it.I know that the BC springs drop the rear pretty low even with the spring perch adjusted all the way high...

thanks for the reply...I'm contemplating what to do with my X sedan.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:08 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Nice review, so SPC is officially doing nothing then for camber arms.
I' looking for a stiff suspension all around when I do head to the track. Which track did you go to?
Old 10-14-2012, 09:21 AM
Lake,an

Originally Posted by cereal2k View Post
Nice review, so SPC is officially doing nothing then for camber arms.
I' looking for a stiff suspension all around when I do head to the track. Which track did you go to?
I live in California and also have a place in AZ on Lake Havasu.This track is right in the middle of the desert.We stop there sometimes on your way to Havasu.When I took the vert out there I went full stiff on the damping.I think if you wanted to track a lot the 12k fronts would be fine,but maybe running a 12k 9" rear spring would really stiffen it up.Fun place

Chuckwalla Valley Raceway | SoCal's Premier Race Track for Cars & Motorcycles
Old 10-15-2012, 02:37 AM
cereal2k

Originally Posted by Lake,an View Post
I live in California and also have a place in AZ on Lake Havasu.This track is right in the middle of the desert.We stop there sometimes on your way to Havasu.When I took the vert out there I went full stiff on the damping.I think if you wanted to track a lot the 12k fronts would be fine,but maybe running a 12k 9" rear spring would really stiffen it up.Fun place

Chuckwalla Valley Raceway | SoCal's Premier Race Track for Cars & Motorcycles
OK cool. Thanks for that tip. I was wondering about elevation changes. Nice track also. It's likely Barber motorsports park will be the Z Nationals track of choice going forward from this year and there were some very really good elevation changes around corners. So even though the intention is mild/beginner tracking, I definitely don't want to feel a severe body roll.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:20 PM
cereal2k

This is the type of body roll in the corners at barber I don't want lol.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Lake,an

[QUOTE=cereal2k;3539058]This is the type of body roll in the corners at barber I don't want lol.

[/

A bit much!!!
Old 03-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Scotch

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any sponsors selling these?
Old 03-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Fezzik

Received 47 Likes on 11 Posts
How's the tire tread doing not having aftermarket rear cambers?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:31 AM
Lake,an

Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post
How's the tire tread doing not having aftermarket rear cambers?
Frezzik,Tires are wearing great.I installed front camber arms.Now front and rear are in spec.Here is a thread.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-con...7-in-spec.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BC Coilover Review

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.