Cusco Strut Tower Brace Installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:49 PM
37hevn

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Modme
It was never a "**** match". We were just trying to get to the bottom of it. When you make a certain claim, it should be backed up with solid evidence. "Because I worked at a shop" is not a very good scientific approach.
lol i thought i broke down the steps as simple as i could and explained what and why. i was just trying to give advice cuz im not just a troll on here and i felt i needed to give just a little credability. members said the strut bar didnt do anything for them and they did not install the way i suggested and i thought it was evident why. i did notice a huge a difference with a strut bar from the way i installed it. go back to my post and let me know what was unclear or not logical enough for you

Last edited by 37hevn; 06-06-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Topher9425
Premier Member

Received 122 Likes on 115 Posts
Good point on the chance of messing up your front alignment specs.......this thread has opened up a new world of things to **** up. Lol
Old 06-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by 37hevn
lol i thought i broke down the steps as simple as i could and explained what and why. i was just trying to give advice cuz im not just a troll on here and i felt i needed to give just a little credability. members said the strut bar didnt do anything for them and they did not install the way i suggested and i thought it was evident why. i did notice a huge a difference with a strut bar from the way i installed it.

well, i'll say this. the way you said the SB was supposed to be installed makes perfect sense.

now, that being said....i have spoken to NUMEROUS people in this community and outside in the subi/vw community that says the SB is just for show. NONE of them stated any gains at all. even the techs at ECS performance (where i have my difficult work done) stated that it's just for show. the techs at ECS stated that in these cars today, and he stressed especially in our cars, how stiff the frame/towers are.

so, this rebuttal im hearing in this thread of how it's supposed to be installed has sparked new intrest in me adding 2 more braces to my G....just based on this install talk.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
I dont want to open another can of worms but if the strut is supposed to spread the strut tower apart, the cusco looks a little thin. That's all i'm going to say.....
Old 06-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Rad_Slinger

I dont want to open another can of worms but if the strut is supposed to spread the strut tower apart, the cusco looks a little thin. That's all i'm going to say.....

on another note, everyone says that they have rubbing issues with the FSB.......could this be contributed to not doing the install correctly?

say you're right that it's a little thin to spread the strut towers apart (actually taking the load off the wheels would in essence spread the towers), or KEEP them apart...is the cusco FSB designed to flex a little and prevent that "rubbing"?
Old 06-06-2012, 10:11 PM
37hevn

Originally Posted by Mattster
now, that being said....i have spoken to NUMEROUS people in this community and outside in the subi/vw community that says the SB is just for show. NONE of them stated any gains at all. even the techs at ECS performance (where i have my difficult work done) stated that it's just for show. the techs at ECS stated that in these cars today, and he stressed especially in our cars, how stiff the frame/towers are.
thanks, heres another view.

All Z (even non sport) cars came from the factory with a strut bar. our cars being heavier, longer, wider, taller. it would only make logical sense that our cars would need a strut bar just as much or more than.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:13 PM
37hevn

a reason i didnt do the cusco, i looked at both installed the the gtspec stance looked more solid
Old 06-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
The Cusco bar is very thin. But very wide. The GT Spec is thicker but narrower. The Cusco is also machined to much finer tolerances, this is pretty clear on close inspection. I am stating this having seen, handled, owned, and installed both. If anyone else has had both and has an opinion I'd like to know what they think as well. Both are lightweight but they each seem solidly built IMO. Form a standpoint of quality and ability to reduce flex, I cannot say that either is better than the other. However subjectively, the Cusco is much much prettier and fits better, even though mine did rub slightly on top after some hard driving. Not on the bottom. The GT Spec rubs both the engine cover and the hood liner.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Rad_Slinger

Originally Posted by 37hevn
thanks, heres another view.

All Z (even non sport) cars came from the factory with a strut bar. our cars being heavier, longer, wider, taller. it would only make logical sense that our cars would need a strut bar just as much or more than.

i would agree with you. but what about what the tech at ECS that stated due to the stiffness of our frames/towers it's unneeded?

i'm not trying to egg this or you on by any means, so please don't mistake my questions for that. these are genuine questions that i have and have had for some time now and this is the first time that i have been able to get into this kind of discussion.

you are right though, i think i would tend to go with the GTspec cause the cusco just looks a little weaker.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
It does not help nearly as much as it does in some cars. Or an older car. Or cars are plenty rigid. But it can certainly help to some degree. I put one in my 4th Gen Maxima and it made a world of difference. Not nearly as rigid. FWD. Older. Worn motor mounts. In a new G37 not as drastic.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Rad_Slinger

Cusco fits better, even though mine did rub slightly on top after some hard driving. Not on the bottom. The GT Spec rubs both the engine cover and the hood liner
i didn't know that.

would you say that the cusco flexed and then rubbed? and the GTspec doesn't flex but just rubs?
Old 06-06-2012, 10:28 PM
37hevn

look at the OP pics then go to the gtspec site. compare the way the bar mounts to the mount. which one looks to be more solid and adjustable to more than just 1 position? to me the gtspec looked better mount and just looking at the bar it looked more rigid. but the cusco does look better in a car show, less rubbing and i like the color. i always have to clean mine if i go to a show

i dont know what to say to what you ECS tech said but i know i felt an immediate and drastic improvement and knowing how it felt after i would have payed another $150.

Last edited by 37hevn; 06-06-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Rad_Slinger

i guess, the only way for me to know for sure is to just do it.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:32 PM
37hevn

to me its the most underated and undervalued aftermarket part on the car at just 225
Old 06-06-2012, 10:38 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
So 5 pages later and still no definitive answer?!?!

Personally, I installed my GTspec FSB with tires on level ground... but what 37hven said make sense to me and if I still had it I would test it out both ways to see if I could feel a difference. At the time of install I had already installed Eibach springs, GTspec 4pt Ladder Brace, Stillen Sways, so maybe that's why I didn't notice the difference too much.

@ Jeremy: I know you're handy, why not be our test dummy (so to speak) and try installing your FSB as 37hven suggests when you get a chance and report back to us your findings?

@ 37hven: Would a lift really need to be used, or could you essentially get the same effect of unloading the suspension by using two floor jacks to take weight off the front of the car while installing?

Quick Reply: Cusco Strut Tower Brace Installed