Quick Coilover Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Quick Coilover Question

Is there a specific brand that can still maintain the "stock" height if need be or is that standard for ANY coil over thats at the highest level? My back only needs to go down a tad bit because my wheels are pretty wide! Tire-wise, I don't like the "aggressive" look and Im not into SLAMMING a daily driver so I don't want to go too low. The FRONT def needs to go down, LOL.

But I'm officially looking at Coilovers very soon. Thanks!!!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Any coil system can be set to stock appearance.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:32 AM
Himalaya
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can always change your coil height. I know someone who has a g who has coilovers and every winter he raises his car for the snow and during the summers he lowers it again.

Btw, his squeak and i know a lot of peoples do so if it doesnt annoy you you should get them
Old 02-21-2012, 07:29 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Most coilover systems for this car have a minimum drop of 1/8" to 1/4" as the least amount of lowering possible. Check the specs for the brand you're interested in, it will specify the range of lowering that's possible.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:25 AM
BlkG-37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Betty, how are fairing with the Tanabes? How is the ride of them considering you have no damping capabilities? I'm almost ready to pull the trigger, but now I'm steering towards Stance GR+...hmmm
Old 02-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

They're OK. I wish they were a little bit stiffer. Mine are faring well but I lost a lot of faith in Tanabe as a company when they refused to warranty several sets that had what I know to be legitimate leaking issues. They wouldn't replace the leaking units or even offer replacements at a discount. Becasue of that I wouldn't buy them again. I'll probably sell them and upgrade to KW V3 sometime in the future.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 AM
G37S-OONER
Banned

Originally Posted by Black Betty
They're OK. I wish they were a little bit stiffer. Mine are faring well but I lost a lot of faith in Tanabe as a company when they refused to warranty several sets that had what I know to be legitimate leaking issues. They wouldn't replace the leaking units or even offer replacements at a discount. Becasue of that I wouldn't buy them again. I'll probably sell them and upgrade to KW V3 sometime in the future.
What are your driving habits like? Do you track the car? How long before you noticed the leaking issue?

Trying to figure out what set of coils to get and want to spend around $800-$1200
Old 02-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by G37S-OONER
What are your driving habits like? Do you track the car? How long before you noticed the leaking issue?

Trying to figure out what set of coils to get and want to spend around $800-$1200
To clarify, I have one of the first sets sold and mine are NOT leaking. Two or three others on the forum have had the issue, including one set that I installed.

My driving habits are what I would characterize as generally moderate to slightly spirited. I've only tracked the car a few times since installing the coilovers (3 or 4 times at the drag strip and a handful of hill country cruises). The leaking issue was due to "improper installation" according to Tanabe. I've installed 3 sets of them exactly the same way with the same tools and only one leaked, so go figure.

I wouldn't put BC/Megan/K-Sport, etc., etc. on my car if they were free, but that's just me. Tanabe has always been a much better product overall, except for this issue. Becasue of how they chose to handle it, I'll choose another product like KW V3 or Cusco Zero 2E instead of going with the new Tanabe Z40 when I upgrade to coilovers with full ajustability.

It's your money, but having the Tanabe on my car I'd advise to save up more money and buy something better from the start. It's what I'd do if I had the chance to do it over again. I got mine when they were one of the few options available, before the KW or Cusco were out.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:42 AM
BlkG-37S

Black Betty, great information there. I want to do it right myself, but its hard justifying $2k for coils when I personally won't be tracking my car. This coil decision is killing me because I myself want to stay clear of BC, Megan, etc as well..

Betty, how about Stance? Yay? Nay? Not enough info?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by BlkG-37S
Black Betty, great information there. I want to do it right myself, but its hard justifying $2k for coils when I personally won't be tracking my car. This coil decision is killing me because I myself want to stay clear of BC, Megan, etc as well..

Betty, how about Stance? Yay? Nay? Not enough info?
I installed a used set of Stance GR+ coilovers for a team mate last month on her G35 coupe. They seem to be solidly built. I don't have any personal experience with them myself though other than test driving after the install. They seemed pretty stiff (in a good way) set to medium settings. But I can't really give a real impression after driving on them only 15 minutes. Keep in mind that they are true coilover setup (at least the G35 application is) and will eliminate the spring from the OEM location and put it over the rear coil itself.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:16 AM
BlkG-37S

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I installed a used set of Stance GR+ coilovers for a team mate last month on her G35 coupe. They seem to be solidly built. I don't have any personal experience with them myself though other than test driving after the install. They seemed pretty stiff (in a good way) set to medium settings. But I can't really give a real impression after driving on them only 15 minutes. Keep in mind that they are true coilover setup (at least the G35 application is) and will eliminate the spring from the OEM location and put it over the rear coil itself.
I see. Least you have 15 minutes of experience with them. That's more than I can say from others while searching on this forum. I appreciate your input. I'm going to continue digging a little deeper in Stance than make a decision. Your tanabe experience solely prevented me from buying them. Customer service is huge and you'd assume they would back their product up and replace it if leaking issues were occurring. Again, thanks for the helpful feedback.

Guess it comes down to KW series or Stance..search continues.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:21 PM
ModBargains.com
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's KW's range of lowering on their coilover systems for the G37:

Front Drop: 0.8 - 1.8
Rear Drop: 0.2 - 1.8
Old 02-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Wyldfyer

Thanks for the valuable info, guys!!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:55 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattster
Any coil system can be set to stock appearance.
This is false.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Wyldfyer

Originally Posted by Kidcane
This is false.
LOL. Yeah I didn't think that was true either but appreciated the response.

Last edited by Wyldfyer; 02-22-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Quick Coilover Question