Question about wheel turn in/heavy steering

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question about wheel turn in/heavy steering

More of an inquiring mind type of question....

In the recent past, I've test driven a 370z, 2012 Audi S4 and a G37 G Coupe IPL (19's/hard suspension).

In all three vehicles I've noticed than when driving very slow and pulling into a parking spot (wheel most of the way cranked one way or another) the wheel seems stay cranked while moving. In other words, my hands can be off the wheel and it will hold the steering angle as you pull into a spot.

In my current car 09 G37xS Sedan, the wheel quickly starts to "unturn" when you let go of it. Certainly it must have to do with how much power steering boost a car has.

My next car is likely a G37 Sedan with Sport Package but RWD. I CAN'T test drive it b/c its a special order in the Northeast.

The IPL G coupe did this steering thing as did the 370z. My point about the S4 was that it is also a higher performance car. Since the G Sedan with sport has the same steering gear as the couple/IPL will it behave the same. Or do the coupes have a lower boost power steering pump?

Thoughts?

Mike S.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:13 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Possibly the G has a bit more caster from the factory?
Originally Posted by Mike S.
More of an inquiring mind type of question....

In the recent past, I've test driven a 370z, 2012 Audi S4 and a G37 G Coupe IPL (19's/hard suspension).

In all three vehicles I've noticed than when driving very slow and pulling into a parking spot (wheel most of the way cranked one way or another) the wheel seems stay cranked while moving. In other words, my hands can be off the wheel and it will hold the steering angle as you pull into a spot.

In my current car 09 G37xS Sedan, the wheel quickly starts to "unturn" when you let go of it. Certainly it must have to do with how much power steering boost a car has.

My next car is likely a G37 Sedan with Sport Package but RWD. I CAN'T test drive it b/c its a special order in the Northeast.

The IPL G coupe did this steering thing as did the 370z. My point about the S4 was that it is also a higher performance car. Since the G Sedan with sport has the same steering gear as the couple/IPL will it behave the same. Or do the coupes have a lower boost power steering pump?

Thoughts?

Mike S.