Wheels squeal coming out of the driveway

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 12:41 AM
Mike888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheels squeal coming out of the driveway

Anyone know if it's normal to hear a squeal when pulling out of the driveway? I just noticed it on my '11 vert yesterday morning where a squealing noise can be heard (i think from the rear) when I applied the brakes coming out of my driveway. My driveway is slightly slanted and once my car gets on flat ground the squeal goes away. It seems to only happen in the morning when the car is cold and so far only when my car is moving forward (have not tried reversed yet). The reason I'm asking is because I just happen to curbed my passenger side wheel pretty bad the previous day so I wasn't sure if they are related. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks
Old 10-12-2011, 12:46 AM
Itchytoe

Likely not related. Is there dew on the car in the morning? Wet brakes can squeal.

Squealing on a new car is never normal, even though some may tell you it is.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:11 AM
Mike888

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
Likely not related. Is there dew on the car in the morning? Wet brakes can squeal.

Squealing on a new car is never normal, even though some may tell you it is.
Hm I dont think so, it's been pretty dry these past few days. Looks like I gotta make a trip to the dealer--this is gonna be hell because the squeal disappears right after getting out of my driveway and for the dealer to do warranty work they have to hear the noise...sigh.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:37 AM
ohsogood

I know lots of our cars have that brake squeal problem when reversing. There's even a TSB out there for it.
Is it only when you back out of your driveway?
If not, you might want to leave your car at the dealership and drive a rental for the day. You can come back the next morning and back out and hopefully replicate the sound.
Your last choice is to record yourself backing out of your driveway and hopefully you can get it on the camera.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:49 AM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike888
Anyone know if it's normal to hear a squeal when pulling out of the driveway? I just noticed it on my '11 vert yesterday morning where a squealing noise can be heard (i think from the rear) when I applied the brakes coming out of my driveway. My driveway is slightly slanted and once my car gets on flat ground the squeal goes away. It seems to only happen in the morning when the car is cold and so far only when my car is moving forward (have not tried reversed yet). The reason I'm asking is because I just happen to curbed my passenger side wheel pretty bad the previous day so I wasn't sure if they are related. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks
Hey Mike -
I doubt it is a big deal and highly unlikely related to curbing a wheel

It may be just a touch of typical rust on the rotors that builds up due to condensation overnight. As soon as he brakes are applied the oxidation is quickly removed and no more noise. Try driving the car in the driveway and apply the brakes a few times then drive out of the driveway and see if it still happens.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:20 PM
cy7878

some cars have squeaky brakes when it's cold.

My last car is a 2010 Hyundai Sonata and the brakes squeaked when I first move the car. Noise goes away after few brake applications. It did it since new and everytime I'm in for service, the brakes check out fine.

It's you damaged a bearing or wheel, the noise should be there all the time.

BTW, since your car is a 2011, you can always get the dealer to check out the car.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:17 PM
DaCePtak0n

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Try this thread.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...eft-turns.html
Old 10-12-2011, 09:33 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
most likely out of alignment. my explorer tires would squeal while turning in parking garages. this stopped happening after new tires and alignment.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:58 AM
Mike888

Thanks everyone for your replies, I really appreciate it.

ohsogood - I tried both moving forward and reversing, it squeals in both directions. Good suggestion regarding leaving the car at the dealer and going back the next morning.

bschurr - I think you might be right, after driving and applying the brakes for 30 secs or so the squeal goes away. I also tried going back on the driveway after driving around my house and the squeal was gone (until the next morning). The only weird thing is why is it only squealing in the rear? I would think oxidation would affect all the wheels.

DaCePtak0n - I think the noise that thread refers to is from a bent dust shield where it occasionally makes contact with the rotors thus creating a grinding noise. The noise I have is a squeal and only happens when I let the car sit for a few hours. Still thanks though.

I am going to the dealer tomorrow to fix my curbed wheels (brought tire and wheel warranty from them) and I'll mention it to see what they say. Thanks again for the help everyone!
Old 10-13-2011, 11:13 AM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike888
Thanks everyone for your replies, I really appreciate it.

ohsogood - I tried both moving forward and reversing, it squeals in both directions. Good suggestion regarding leaving the car at the dealer and going back the next morning.

bschurr - I think you might be right, after driving and applying the brakes for 30 secs or so the squeal goes away. I also tried going back on the driveway after driving around my house and the squeal was gone (until the next morning). The only weird thing is why is it only squealing in the rear? I would think oxidation would affect all the wheels.

DaCePtak0n - I think the noise that thread refers to is from a bent dust shield where it occasionally makes contact with the rotors thus creating a grinding noise. The noise I have is a squeal and only happens when I let the car sit for a few hours. Still thanks though.

I am going to the dealer tomorrow to fix my curbed wheels (brought tire and wheel warranty from them) and I'll mention it to see what they say. Thanks again for the help everyone!
The brake squealing in Infiniti/Nissan is common but it only happens if the car has been parked for a while and happens in reverse mostly.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Mike888

Originally Posted by cvipgo
The brake squealing in Infiniti/Nissan is common but it only happens if the car has been parked for a while and happens in reverse mostly.
Really? I never knew this, thanks for the info. I also took my car in today for the curbed wheels and ask one of the master techs about the squeal. He said it probably is oxidation due to the sports brake pads; and told me that the squeal is normal because the brake is cleaning the rotors. He asked me to bring the car back if the squealing doesn't stop after braking a few times. So I'm just hoping the noise doesn't get worse. Thanks again for all the responses!
Old 11-05-2011, 02:47 PM
dirtyeric

I have a 2010 vert with 3000k miles on it and my brakes have been squealing in reverse and when driving forward. It eventually goes away after driving and braking for 10 to 15 minutes. It is embarassing as hell to be driving a 50k sports car and the brakes squeal like some old piece of crap car! Is there a tsb for a 2010? I saw the tsb thread posted on vert page but you cant read what tsb actually states it is suppose to fix. When I bring it in for an oil change I will let dealer know about squeal.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:40 AM
RadMav

This sounds like a temperature issue. Because the squeaking seems to go away after a while (after the brakes get warmed up). Sometimes it can be caused if the brake pads don't get tempered correctly. SCCA did an article last month on this. When the pads are new if they are heated up too quickly they will glaze the pads and the disks. It can cause squeaking and reduced braking performance.

You can re-temper them by sanding the rotors and pads with 600 grit sand paper to remove the glaze. then do a series of 2-3 stops from 20 MPH, then 2-3 from 40 MPH, then do 2-3 from 60 MPH. Gradually, increase the braking pressure through each of the stages.

I'm on my second G 08'-and 11' never had any brake squeaking issues.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:40 AM
ByndInfiniti

Brake Squeal TSB

August 9, 2011 TSB BSR11-003 G35/G37 Front Brake Noise:

IF YOU CONFIRM
While traveling forward or backward at slow speed, a squeal or squaek noice is coming from the front brakes when braking

ACTION
Replace both front brake caliper sliding pins (on on each side of vehicle) with the ones listed in the Parts Information
Old 11-07-2011, 05:22 PM
dirtyeric

Both of you thank you for your input!
eric

Quick Reply: Wheels squeal coming out of the driveway