Wheels squeal coming out of the driveway

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Texnician

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike888
Anyone know if it's normal to hear a squeal when pulling out of the driveway? I just noticed it on my '11 vert yesterday morning where a squealing noise can be heard (i think from the rear) when I applied the brakes coming out of my driveway. My driveway is slightly slanted and once my car gets on flat ground the squeal goes away. It seems to only happen in the morning when the car is cold and so far only when my car is moving forward (have not tried reversed yet). The reason I'm asking is because I just happen to curbed my passenger side wheel pretty bad the previous day so I wasn't sure if they are related. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks
I'm at 8000 miles and have noticed this on mine off and on since early on. My car is garaged at night and I know that temp and humidity aren't the issue. But they do stop by the time I get out of the neighborhood. I just figured it an annoying thing. If Infiniti actually has a problem here I'll go bug my dealer, otherwise I guess I can live with it for now.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Mike888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Texnician
I'm at 8000 miles and have noticed this on mine off and on since early on. My car is garaged at night and I know that temp and humidity aren't the issue. But they do stop by the time I get out of the neighborhood. I just figured it an annoying thing. If Infiniti actually has a problem here I'll go bug my dealer, otherwise I guess I can live with it for now.
Is your vert the sport model? The tech that I've spoken with said the squeal happens because of the oxidation and high performance sports brakes. And also where are you located at? I first noticed the squeal right around when it got cold and yes it's on and off--sometimes i hear it sometime I don't
Old 11-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Texnician

Is your vert the sport model? The tech that I've spoken with said the squeal happens because of the oxidation and high performance sports brakes. And also where are you located at? I first noticed the squeal right around when it got cold and yes it's on and off--sometimes i hear it sometime I don't
I opted for a non-sport mainly because I don't push the car like I used to (my old G35) and I wanted a bit smoother ride and the cooled leather seats (a big deal here in Texas). We've had a very dry and hot summer and I had the squeal and now there's been mornings in the low 40's and I've had it. It's not every time, just now and then. That's why I haven't pursued it with the dealer yet, but...hearing from y'all has made me pay more attention.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:38 AM
Mike888

I opted for a non-sport mainly because I don't push the car like I used to (my old G35) and I wanted a bit smoother ride and the cooled leather seats (a big deal here in Texas). We've had a very dry and hot summer and I had the squeal and now there's been mornings in the low 40's and I've had it. It's not every time, just now and then. That's why I haven't pursued it with the dealer yet, but...hearing from y'all has made me pay more attention.
Hm interesting...does it only squeal in the morning or does it happen while you're on the road? Reason I'm asking is because my cousin have a 2010 non-sport vert and his rear brakes/rotors started squealing bad around 3000 miles (only squeals when the rotors are hot and a lot worse in the summer than winter). He had to take it to the dealer 5 times for it because the first 2 times he couldn't recreate the noise. Then when he finally did, the dealer only resurfaced the brakes and rotors but the squeal were still there. He went back and finally got both his rear brakes and rotors replaced under warranty. Now I'm not sure if you are having the same problem because the squeal from my cousin's vert were bad--once it starts, it doesn't stop until the car is parked and cooled off.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Texnician

Hm interesting...does it only squeal in the morning or does it happen while you're on the road? Reason I'm asking is because my cousin have a 2010 non-sport vert and his rear brakes/rotors started squealing bad around 3000 miles (only squeals when the rotors are hot and a lot worse in the summer than winter). He had to take it to the dealer 5 times for it because the first 2 times he couldn't recreate the noise. Then when he finally did, the dealer only resurfaced the brakes and rotors but the squeal were still there. He went back and finally got both his rear brakes and rotors replaced under warranty. Now I'm not sure if you are having the same problem because the squeal from my cousin's vert were bad--once it starts, it doesn't stop until the car is parked and cooled off.
Might be a summer thing cause it's been quiet lately. Like I said, I'm going to begin paying much closer attention to this. My last 2 Infinitis did not do this...nor has any car I've had. Squealing is an indication of worn brakes and this to me is like my car is crying wolf.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Texnician

Update... getting the squeal all the time now. Even my wife has declared it beyond acceptable. It happens whenever I come to a stop, from beginning to the end of a drive. Going to check with the dealer.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Soliditude

It's normal for the Sport brakes to squeal when you're coming out of the driveway in reverse. I get that every time when I start my car in the morning. However, if it squeals anywhere else except that, you need to check them. The dealer will probably perform a TSB and get you going.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:41 PM
ohsogood

Had the same issue with my non sport G. They stated the brake squeal has a S/B but if that doesn't fix it, then to hold off while Infiniti looks into it. I don't have the paperwork the dealership provided, but it talks about if the brakes continue to squeal even after following the S/B, then to leave it alone at this time because there is nothing the dealership can do.
Hopefully, my dealership provides me with updates as to what Infiniti is going to do about this next.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Mike888

Update... getting the squeal all the time now. Even my wife has declared it beyond acceptable. It happens whenever I come to a stop, from beginning to the end of a drive. Going to check with the dealer.
Yes go to the dealer, once they hear the squeal they will either: machined the rotors and brake pads; or replaced them. I think they will usually try to machined them first then if that doesn't stop the squeal, they will replace them. GL
Old 12-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Texnician

Gotta appointment tomorrow. Hope my car doesn't decide to do a temporary healing. Seems to happen when my car see's we are pulling into the service dept.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Mike888

Gotta appointment tomorrow. Hope my car doesn't decide to do a temporary healing. Seems to happen when my car see's we are pulling into the service dept.
Sounds so much like my car!
Old 12-06-2011, 11:58 PM
mw09g37

Originally Posted by Soliditude
It's normal for the Sport brakes to squeal when you're coming out of the driveway in reverse. I get that every time when I start my car in the morning. However, if it squeals anywhere else except that, you need to check them. The dealer will probably perform a TSB and get you going.

i wouldn't call it normal... i don't believe you had this symptom driving off the lot... or for the first 10 months of ownership.

this is something that develops. i don't buy the oxidation of the brake surface...
Old 12-07-2011, 01:19 AM
Mike888

Originally Posted by mw09g37
i wouldn't call it normal... i don't believe you had this symptom driving off the lot... or for the first 10 months of ownership.

this is something that develops. i don't buy the oxidation of the brake surface...
After reading everyone's reply and talking to a few mechanic friends of mines, I now believe that wheel squeal is pretty much normal in the morning. I got my vert back in June when it's nice and sunny and my wheels never had any noise. My wheels first started squealing when the temperature dropped so I think weather does play a large part in this. Plus just last week I was over at my buddy's house and his 1 month old Audi A6 squealed coming out of the driveway too (even worse than mines).
Old 12-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Texnician

Just got back from the dealer. The car didn't squeal on the way in until the last stop as I turned in. They say they did an ITB 11-050 which was to lubricate something...didn't make sense. Didn't notice a problem on the way home but way way to early to rule this a fix, especially that it didn't want to do it on the way in. Pretty cold day today, perhaps that means something.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:56 PM
RyG388

Fresh pavement lol ?

Quick Reply: Wheels squeal coming out of the driveway