Constant need to correct steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 07:33 PM
chie888
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same issue on my newish 09 and had a alignment done by the dealer.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:21 PM
areyoojordan

i have the same problem too! it annoys the crap out of me. it feels like its steering way to the right if i have the steering wheel in the center and im constantly moving the steering wheel to go straight. dealership says theres no alignment problem, what the..? they could be bullshtting me. cos i hopped a curb at 25mph once on the right front tire and have kissed the curb many times when parallel parking on that same tire. should i get it checked again?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:38 AM
JJSoCrazy

Just sent my car back again. It was in the dealer 3 days ago for service and it still is acting up, even more so. They are getting the factory technicians involved and I will let everyone know the update!

Joe
Old 09-28-2010, 10:10 AM
nrp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought I would add my experience for what its worth.

I bought some used M45 19's, 2 tires had much more outer tread wear than the other 2. I decided to put the worn tires in the front as the rears wear 1.5-2x quicker in my experiences. The steering started to follow the road grooves with reckless abandon. I figured it was just the wider/lower profile 19's. Later down the line Infiniti rotated my tires at an oil change. I was pissed they did so b/c I was trying to keep the higher tread in the rear, but I instantly noticed the car tracked straight as an arrow.

From my particular experience I learned that unevenly or cupped tires can SERIOUSLY alter the steering in the G.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:08 PM
mark_g37

franky2222 ,

Did you use the same size tires as factory like 225/50/18 or 225/55/17 and what brand of tires and model did you use that fixed the problem?
Old 11-17-2010, 08:25 PM
filthee

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Mine isn't severe but, as others have said, it feels like I need to constantly microcorrect the steering.

It's not predominantly one direction either.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have this problem in my 2010 G37X (are all of these complaints coming fro "X" owners?) but in the "old Days" a good Tire guy would tell you Never, Never cross the tires when rotating: Onlt front to back and back to front on the same side. If you want to see if it is small breaks in the belts of the tires - the experiment is TO Cross the wheels from left to right etc....If the car missteers in different directions after you cross the wheels on the same axle, then there could be a problem with your OEM tires - in my case Goodyear Eagle RSAs, which have terrible tire wear features.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:24 PM
JJSoCrazy

Hey Guys,

Sorry about the delayed update... However what they did was replace one of my tires, wheel alignment, and corrected my steering slightly. The factory technician spent over 4 hours on my car. The issue has been resolved however I still notice sometimes, but less than before, the need to correct the steering. Unfortunatly they stated this is all they can do and how the car drives, it is known as "tramming". I spoke with Infiniti directly also and I will notify them again.

Thanks and hope it helps!

Joe
Old 11-20-2010, 09:10 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
JJsoCrazy: Insist on checking ALL of the Tires. As I posted earlier, the steel belts in some of these tires { I HOPE THAT GOODYEAR DOES NOT HAVE CHINESE MADE TIRES !!!} can be just slightly "off" or broken and that will contribute to the Tramming.

BTW, I read somewhere that Michelin has tires produced in China, For Christ's sake can't WE make anything here in the good 'ol USA!! A friend of mine bought an old Vette 1977, refurbished it - new wheels, tires, chnaged all of the fluids, tuned it up, and was replacing some worn interior parts - window handles, etc.... He ordered them through a related site for older auto parts: THEY are made in China.....for a 1977 Corvette !!! That's why we have the economic problems in this country.. Come on, we have manufacturers that produce American Car parts in China. we are screwed!!
The following users liked this post:
takemorepills (06-23-2018)
Old 12-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Frankyg37s

Originally Posted by mark_g37
franky2222 ,

Did you use the same size tires as factory like 225/50/18 or 225/55/17 and what brand of tires and model did you use that fixed the problem?
falcon fk452 factory size
Old 12-15-2010, 05:41 PM
atree

I have a similar problem as well. The second day I got the car I noticed it was pulling to the left. What's weird is that on certain roads I don't need to make adjustments, which leads me to believe that the pulling happens because of the way certain roads are angled.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:57 PM
yld2rob

Originally Posted by jzinckgra
Maybe it's just me, but my wife mentioned the same thing this morning. Every time I drive the G, I feel like the wheel constantly needs input to keep it straight. Pretty sure the car isn't out of alignment, but the slightest steering wheel input seems to almost over correct any drifting action. I want to blame it on some super sensitive steering mechanism, but figured I'd see if anyone else notices the same.
I am with you. I have had it at the dealer 3 times. Drove 2 other new G 37's as well. Same result. I came from an Acura TL. I thought it was me as well. It requires just slight adjustments. I know.... Its the car.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:13 PM
johnnovember

New 2012 g37XS

I only have about 500 miles on mine, bought it brand new.

I have the same problem with having to slightly correct the steering when driving, even on a highway.

I have the stock Yokohama tires that ca,e with the car.

I was beginning to feel like i bought a lemon.

Im scheduling an alignment check tomorrow.

Im worried about them telling me there is no alignment issue...

If this is the case, is there anything else I can do?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:11 AM
pdpMIATA

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
had an alignment done for the same reasons as most have stated.
didn't do crap besides rob me of $100

still moves left...no matter what type of road it may be, left is the way it goes.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:39 AM
Freshness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really need to get new front tires, I have this issue as well.

Quick Reply: Constant need to correct steering