Constant need to correct steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 01:52 PM
aliang01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is doing that too. Its currently at Jim Coleman getting corrected. I hope that's all that's wrong with it. I'll update after I get my car back.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:09 AM
mark_g37

I asked the dealer about the tramlining or constant correcting of the steering and I asked if they had different tires I could try on 2009 G37 xS Sedan. They swapped out the 225/50R18 OE Dunlop’s for Dunlop Sport Signatures the same size. While at first it solved the problem it came back after a few hundred miles.

Although, the constant correcting seems to have been solved. However, on uneven or rutted pavement the car does still tramline. The tramline seems to be more predictable when the tires are at 35PSI rather than the 33PSI recommended. I also tried 31PSI which seemed help lessen the tramlining but it was way too hard to change lanes on rutted/ uneven pavement.

The debate with my dealer rolls on, they will not exchange my tires again for a brand that I have read could solve the tramlining issue such as the Bridgestone Pole Positions RE 960 A/S.

I asked Infiniti consumer affairs to follow-up but they said just talk to the dealer, and I did with the dealer and he says we have done all we can, it is a personal preference and we are fighting the design of the vehicle to and follow-up with Consumer affairs if you wish. Consumer affairs has never helped yet even after a couple of emails.

Personally, I think it is a safety issue ,but they refuse to want to try more tires that might help the problem, unless it is tires they stock such as the horrible Goodyears or more Dunlops and some Summer tires. I even noticed the loaner car G37x with 17's on Goodyears has the same issue as mine , it will not go straight on rutted or uneven pavement either. So, this leads me to believe it is not tire size/profile, etc, but type of tire and how the tread design works and stiffness of the sidewall.

I had Bridgestone Pole Positions on a previous Lexus Sport Coupe and never had any tramlining problems over uneven/rutted roads.

So my question to all the G35/37 owners have you a found a tire that will not tramline on those variable road conditions? I don't want to drop $900 to find out the tires will not solve the problem and if it is an engineering flaw with the vehicle?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:23 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
The stickier the tire, the more prone to tramlining the tire is. End of story. It is a sacrifice you must make if you'd like to retain the factory handling and braking performance.

I'm sure you'd be willing to bet the G will stop and turn better than the SC.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:26 AM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is something i have noticed as welll and i go to firestone for life time alignments and its as straight as they can get it everytime and i still have to over correct the steering
Old 09-16-2010, 09:58 AM
PascalT

this happened to me on the first week I had the car. Turns out some of the roads we were using were weirdly angled and the car was swerving left and right because of it. We took it to the dealership and the guy test drove it and he told us all was fine. After that we noticed the road conditions more when driving it.

In any case i'd take it to the dealer and get it checked.. can't hurt
Old 09-16-2010, 09:30 PM
yld2rob

I have a G37 09 sedan. I thought I was crazy. Very small adjustments right and left. I have had it at 3 different dealers for alignment checks. Each one told me it was spot on. I noticed this right away when I purchased the car new last summer and drove 2 other G37s sedans to be sure. They had the problem as well. After a year I have gotten use to it. Glad to know I am not crazy!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Frankyg37s

THIS IS A TIRE ISSUE i had this prob got an allignment NOTHING got new tires WOW new car
Old 09-17-2010, 12:39 AM
NCNC

Mine behaves the same too.. I can almost feel the slightest change in the level of the road because of this. I have never had the alignment check though but looks like it is a characteristic of the G if I'm not alone.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:44 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
I feel as if nobody listens.

Tramlining is a side effect of having high performance tires. It will be exhibited on ANY car with tires that are primarily made for performance.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:57 AM
newg37
Banned

i have a similar issue but i don't know if it's an issue at all

when i come to a stop, the steering wheel moves by itself in one direction or the other by about 5 degrees, not always but it feels like some sort of gyro-sphere in there that makes the steering firm until you stop in which case it jerks a bit and feels like it loosens up. the alignment is otherwise fine at high speeds.

also if i hit a speedbump at anything but a perfect parallel angle the wheel goes crazy.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:22 AM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i really notice the car moving left.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:20 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by Mike
I feel as if nobody listens.

Tramlining is a side effect of having high performance tires. It will be exhibited on ANY car with tires that are primarily made for performance.
Did you say something?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by franky2222
THIS IS A TIRE ISSUE i had this prob got an allignment NOTHING got new tires WOW new car
Did you trade the summer tires for all-seasons? If so, I'm not surprised.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:57 AM
JJSoCrazy

I have the same issue and I am contacting Infiniti as I type. The wheel has to constantly be on the watch I feel, any slight bump and the wheel wants to jerk to whatever side it is. Even on a smooth road it tends to not stay straight, and this has been since day one. Twice I had the dealer check the steering and they stated everything was ok.

Well see what they say...

Joseph
Old 09-24-2010, 10:36 AM
JJSoCrazy

So I just came back from the dealer and they stated that the cars have this tramming that comes with the G37 especially and some M models. However to correct the issue the best thing they can do is tighten the rack and pinion. With this I notice less play and a firmer steering wheel, however it is still there and they said they will bring the factory into this next time I bring it to their attention. I told them let me drive it for a day or two to see how it is and I will come back. But for now that is a temp solution that solves the issue somewhat. They also stated they could change the tires to a softer kind however this will make you run through tires much quicker.

Hope this helps!

Joe

Quick Reply: Constant need to correct steering