Help lowering with the g37x coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:44 PM
davv1215

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in NYC and if I had the X, I'd prob spend a little more and go coilovers. I'm no expert, but heard coilovers allow you to customize the height. Low in the summer, then go higher in the winter. And swap out the rims in the winter too..
Old 08-15-2010, 04:19 AM
sportsdude512

What exactly is the difference between coilovers and a spring kit, the eibach one for example...???
(for an x coupe)

Last edited by sportsdude512; 08-15-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:12 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

as far as i know, coilovers are pretty much the whole package.. struts and springs together. you take out your oem shocks and springs and just replace them with the coilovers. spring kit is just the springs. you would have to either put them on your current struts or buy new struts for them. coilovers can also be adjustable, meaning you can change the height of them when you want. springs are just as-is. but thats why coilovers cost triple or quadruple the amount of just springs.
if you can afford coilovers, they are the better choice. they are adjustable and wont wear down your current struts. springs are the more affordable way to lower your car and but you may need to replace your struts quicker than if you were running stock springs.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Sinfiniti

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread here, but what did you eventually do to lower your car about 1"? Did you end up going with Eibach springs or (expensive) coilovers. I'll be purchasing an 2010 X coupe in the next few days and I'd like to get it lowered before summer. I plan on putting 19's and possibly 20's on. Any suggestions for springs? I read the whole thread and someone said you need to install a camber adjustment kit?! Why is that? I've lowered my previous car, it was RWD tho, and all I did is change the springs/shocks. It didn't need camber adjustment. Does it have something to do with the AWD?
Old 03-06-2013, 03:27 PM
MyG37xS

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The X coupes are higher then the S coupes with RWD. I think the eibach wouldn't be too bad considering how high the X's are. I live in queens and I don't come close to touching anything from a driveway to the parking garage blocks.

I'm debating if I want to do this only cause I have a short 2 year lease not to mention most places want a few hundred bucks for install.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:13 PM
viventi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gian, I had Eibach prokits on my 2012 X coupe, Im in NYC alllll the time and I didnt scrape on a single thing. I actually took them off after two months because I wanted to put on coilovers lol. I still have the prokits if you wanna buy them, lemme know.

This was it with the eibachs

Name:  IMG_3264.jpg
Views: 2139
Size:  74.0 KB
Old 03-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Sinfiniti

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by viventi
Gian, I had Eibach prokits on my 2012 X coupe, Im in NYC alllll the time and I didnt scrape on a single thing. I actually took them off after two months because I wanted to put on coilovers lol. I still have the prokits if you wanna buy them, lemme know.

This was it with the eibachs

That looks like perfect ride height and wheel gap to me. Did you need to do camber adjustments or anything as others in this thread have eluded to or was it a simple swap out of stock springs and install prokit? Did you install AM shocks too? Are those 19's?
Old 03-08-2013, 11:31 AM
viventi

Originally Posted by Sinfiniti
That looks like perfect ride height and wheel gap to me. Did you need to do camber adjustments or anything as others in this thread have eluded to or was it a simple swap out of stock springs and install prokit? Did you install AM shocks too? Are those 19's?
I didn't do a single thing to adjust camber. It didnt need it at all. I have the car on coilovers right now and it's lowwww, and hasn't had camber arms on it yet either. I did buy a rear camber kit soon after I got the coils but I've had the kit for over 4 months and haven't installed it yet lol. The springs were just a simple swap. I kept stock shocks with the Eibachs, and yep they're 19s.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:22 AM
XCoop

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
On a lease, I doubt you'd want to spend the $$$ for the coil-overs. I'm not sure that you'd really notice the handling difference that much by just lowering an x by a half inch, unless you did other suspension mods as well. I put the OEM splash guards on my x and it is surprising how much lower it looks. So now I roll faux-low! The splash guards may also prevent scratches which will cost you when you turn it in.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:39 AM
viventi

Splash guards alone arent going to make a car look lower, people look at wheel gap more so than how close the car is to the ground lol. If anything it'l make an X coupe look worse because of how high the front end of the X coupes are to begin with.

For kicks I did this the other day, the top photo is my car the day I bought it, the bottom is it now, obviously very different but look at the wheel gap between the two. the gap on X coupes is ridiculously stupid.

Name:  photo-5_zps3ab468c8.jpg
Views: 1788
Size:  111.0 KB
Old 03-09-2013, 01:26 PM
XCoop

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I agree that wheel gap is the bigger factor, but the splash guards do help on the side view. A half inch drop isn't going to be noticeable anyway. Most people buy an x for snow use and need the ride height. Some buy it for seriously modified engines to get more power to the ground. Leasing in NY, I'm guessing he falls into the former group. I had the non-sports bumper and upgraded to an IPL, and yes it still looks high, but it looks way better than stock, and I need it high for mountainous snowy CO winters. Lowered cars here in the high country are useless in the winter, and they chip up worse in the summer. I didn't mount lower fogs as they would just bust anyway, as they use crushed rock on the snowy mountain roads. Our front ends and windshields all get pitted from it. At least they don't rust!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:04 PM
altokarev

what is the name of those rims, and what size are they?
Old 08-21-2013, 01:20 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by altokarev
what is the name of those rims, and what size are they?
those are 2006-2007 M35/M45 sport 19" OEM wheels.

I had the Eibachs on stock struts on my G37x coupe rode like crap over the bumpy NYC roads. I'd stick with the BC Coils
Old 08-21-2013, 04:02 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Not sure if Swift makes springs for the coupe X but they do for the Sedan X and it's a mild drop, might want to look them up (I would but short on time).
Old 08-22-2013, 10:56 AM
altokarev

I had the Eibachs on stock struts on my G37x coupe rode like crap over the bumpy NYC roads. I'd stick with the BC Coils[/QUOTE]

How reliable are the coilovers compaired to springs or stock struts. I've seen many poeple servicing them after a short time or replacing them quite often? Im looking into coilovers but reluctant because I cant find any valuable info. Most of everyhting i read and searched varies greatly but i guess, since you've had springs and then switched to coilovers you may have a better explanation.

Quick Reply: Help lowering with the g37x coupe