MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-and-suspension-306/)
-   -   Help lowering with the g37x coupe (https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-and-suspension/211001-help-lowering-with-the-g37x-coupe.html)

GianG37x 07-30-2010 10:34 AM

Help lowering with the g37x coupe

Hi, i would like to lower my coupe 2009 g37x coupe.... but i dont want anything more than .3 to 1 inch lowered topsss... what can i do to get a subtle lowering.. the eibachs lower the car about 1.5 to 2 inches and thats too much..if someone could please help me find a site where i could get that .3 to 1 inch lowering owuld greatly appreciate.. thank you

abice 07-30-2010 10:39 AM

do you have rims on it? or are you gonna get them after you lower it, I have the same car, I want to lower it and sh!t, rims and wider tires, but I get nervous because everyone says you have to be careful of lowering with rims, because you need a camber kit, and then like rubbing, so I'm curious also to what works the best with the X coupe everyone has the S and there fully customizable in every way the awd throws a twist on it you know

GianG37x 07-30-2010 10:43 AM

yeah not much too do with our cars and honestly i dont want to lwoer it too much or else the awd system can get messed up...plus its a lease... id lower it just like minimally so i can get it to handle a slight bit better.. no rims on it yet but i know we can easily put 19 inch sports on our cars because theyre staggered on the 37s. stinks. my old car an 01 cl type s was lowered 2 inchs.. it looked great but impossible to navigate in nyc with all the year round potholes so i would only minmially want i lowered .3 to 1 inch tops.

abice 07-30-2010 11:04 AM

yepp that's another thing I'm a little sketchy about winter and snowplows kills the roads in central ny, I know we could definitely get away with 19's I was thinkin 20's but everyone says I'm crazy so i don't know, I'm still convinced that we can do as much as the G37s can do it just costs a lot more money you know

GianG37x 07-30-2010 11:06 AM

yupp i mean i LOVE the appearance of the S but the rims get stolen wayyyyyyyy too much around my hood and even 19s might be a hassle in nyc.. where in ny r u? prob not too far from me either way

abice 07-30-2010 11:21 AM

lol syracuse, i know about zero people up here with G's I've seen three coupes up here that's it mainly old g35 i've seen more of those. what I really want to do is like convert mine to an S but keep the awd, i like awd so much better than rwd, i want like the aero packages the s bumper, lower it, brakes, wheels, so it has the appearance of the s but with more add-on performance the acceleration of awd. idk that's down the road though.

BUT this is getting of your subject I apologize

What can we do with X coupes to lower them less than an inch?

GianG37x 07-30-2010 11:39 AM

hmm ive heard cutting the spring.. which is cheap but in my opinion not worth it and supposedly eibach has a .5 inch drop which i have yet to find... nah i dont mind getting off topic.. any info u have u can share and i can share if i have any info.. o i was in syracuse in october driving back from canada.. nice place..ur prob like 350 miles west of me. i duno if u with me on this but the x models dont corner as good as the s. the acceleration is good but i like to be a tiny tiny bit lower to the ground.. the winters here in nyc have been brutal. u know what.. u can email me at bmwbusiness007@aol.com we can chat that way.. dont mind the email username lolol its from like 1999. a friend of mine cut out the resonators and went st8 pipe it sounded pretty good at WOT but the pipes do eventually rust so noth worth it.

Creepers 07-30-2010 11:40 AM

i have an x coupe too, but i want to raise mine, maybe 1 or 2 inches. anyone know how to do that?

droogie 07-30-2010 11:41 AM

Do NOT cut the spring.

GianG37x 07-30-2010 12:16 PM

hmm raising it would look like a truck more than it is now... im def not cutting anything..

Clutchr6 07-30-2010 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Creepers (Post 2944341)
i have an x coupe too, but i want to raise mine, maybe 1 or 2 inches. anyone know how to do that?

I hope your kidding

I just got an x coupe and just ordered 20's cant wait.
I am also interested in lowering it a little. the eibach kit lowers it to much for me.

abice 07-30-2010 07:10 PM

i like the tien s tech but its almost like 2 inches i feel like that's way too much after i found out exactly what happens when you lower the car it pushes the wheels out and you have to use a camber kit to fix them back to straight, and the spacers and staggering that's involved really confuses the hell of me so i just dropped the rims and tire subject for awhile.

Mikef973 07-31-2010 01:25 PM

Just got an S coupe and had the eibach springs put on today. Looks great even without rims, but I do plan on throwing on the vossen 082's. Many people have that type setup with no issues. Cant comment on the x though.

mystakin 08-01-2010 06:33 AM

same boat as you guys with the X. i got my 2010 g37x a couple months ago. i came from an acura tl and it seems like its not much lower at all, this was my first coupe and i thought i would be much lower to the ground :/ anyways, im also looking to lowering it, but how difficult is it to replace the springs? i found eibachs (i think thats the brand) who made the springs for our X type! woohoo! but ive never done suspension work. ive heard changing out springs takes a toll on struts too? people have told me to either change out both at the same time or just go for coilovers, but frankly i dont have the money for coilovers lol.
are new struts recommended when changing out springs? and how difficult is the install? like is it an in-home install like a cai or do you actually have to go to a shop to get it lifted and done professionally? then again, since its my first time, idk if i trust doing suspension work on a car that costs roughly 40grand.

abice 08-01-2010 05:15 PM

^^ same thing, I have the same exact mentality, the three of us need some expert advice about the X compared to the S