How to properly brake to a stop in 6MT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 05:43 AM
Jakex1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch in + brake in at the same time all the way to the stop (basically braking in neutral) will lead to quicker brake wear. not a lot but still.

and cycling through the gears can be hard/annoying as well.

the best middle ground is to break in w.e gear you are in STAY IN GEAR and when the needle starts to hit 1.2~ clutch in and brake. DONT LET THE REVS DROP TOO MUCH, then you are lugging the engine.

if you hit 1.2~ on high gear and there is still a decent amount of room before the full stop, drop down 2 gears or so and repeat the process.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:35 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AUC2MIC
Sorry for the noob question, but I am fairly new to driving manual and I always wondered how to properly brake to a stop.
1) Some have told me to clutch in, brake, and just cycle through the gears without clutching out until you have come to a stop.
2) Others have told me to just clutch in, downshift, clutch out and repeat until 2nd gear at which point you will clutch in and stop.
3) Others have said the best way is to do the same as 2) but heel-toe rev match while you are downshifting so you can brake at the same time

I'm assuming 3) is the 'correct' way, but also the most difficult?
If you KNOW you're coming to a stop, then you can just brake and clutch when you're going slow enough that the engine will start to fight the braking (e.g. clutch around 700 RPM).

I typically downshift as I'm braking as a safety precaution, but this comes at the cost of extra wear and tear on your trans. (#3) The reasoning behind this is that unless I'm completely stopped, I'm still in gear and have power IMMEDIATELY available if I need to make an emergency maneuver or get out of the way of someone behind me. (Can you tell I've been rear ended a few times? )

At a light, you can sit in neutral, or you can clutch in and sit in gear. Neutral is less wear and tear on your car, but if you need to move quickly, you have more things to do before you can get power down to the ground. ( Sitting in neutral doesn't wear the clutch. Rather, you're putting extra stress on your main bearings, the bearings on your crankshaft.)

All this "extra wear and tear" in unlikely to manifest itself in less than 100k miles, so its not something to worry about unless you know you're going to keep the car for the long haul.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:31 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike

At a light, you can sit in neutral, or you can clutch in and sit in gear. Neutral is less wear and tear on your car, but if you need to move quickly, you have more things to do before you can get power down to the ground. ( Sitting in neutral doesn't wear the clutch. Rather, you're putting extra stress on your main bearings, the bearings on your crankshaft.)
Sitting at a light in neutral, or sitting at a light with the clutch engaged and the transmission in gear will not have any impact whatsoever on putting "extra stress" on the main bearings.

The only difference in those two scenarios is extra wear on the throwout bearing, which is obviously part of the clutch assembly.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:09 AM
fkat
Registered Member

Originally Posted by eljoker
I've always put the clutch in and put it in neutral then realse clucth and use the break in all my MT cars. That's the way I was taught. If I know I don't need to make a complete stop then I keep the clutch in and put the car in 2nd and apply the brake but I don't realse the clutch, but that's only if I know I don't need to make a complete stop.
I agree with this one. Every time you clutch you are wearing it down. Just coast and brake. Yes there is wear on pads but that's what they're for.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Mikenicco

I pretty much cruise in 5th gear(i dont like 6th, except on highway.) To stop I'll downshift two gears and stay in 3rd then use my brakes to come to a stop. Around 1000-700 rpms clutchin and get into netural. I never sit at the light with the car in gear and the clutch in. Mainly because the Red lights in florida are sooooo long.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:13 AM
AUC2MIC

Originally Posted by dainjarouz
No..i just dont want to bog the engine in the higher gears..Mike and MCSA know all about that hahaa
How would you be bogging the engine when you are slowing down only?
Old 05-24-2010, 01:25 PM
dainjarouz
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AUC2MIC
How would you be bogging the engine when you are slowing down only?
i dont know the exact term to use, maybe its not bog, but you know when youre in a higher gear than you should be for the speed...it can be bad.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:31 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikenicco
I pretty much cruise in 5th gear(i dont like 6th, except on highway.) To stop I'll downshift two gears and stay in 3rd then use my brakes to come to a stop. Around 1000-700 rpms clutchin and get into netural. I never sit at the light with the car in gear and the clutch in. Mainly because the Red lights in florida are sooooo long.
Same, down shift down to 3rd, brake, clutch in when almost at a dead stop. If it's a green light right hand turn, down shift down to 2nd through the turn.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:25 PM
GordoNx3o9

Same here.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
With my feet...

Old 05-24-2010, 10:17 PM
tokyo_gaijin

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Haven't drove a manual for a while, but from what I remember:
If it's a soft stop: just stay in your current gear, press on brake, when RPM gets low, step on clutch and come to full stop. If you are in high gear, might wanna shift to lower. I don't know what G's manual gear ratios are, so I can't really tell you which one.

If it's a hard stop, you need to go through gears with rev matching. that's frigging difficult btw.

Emergency: Clutch + brake all the way.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Trincap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, I'm not trying to be a jerk here but I'll just throw out that I used to teach this stuff on the track so I'm not coming from left field (trying to avoid the instant insults)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Your question has several answers. The "correct" way? The "best" way? or the "easiest" way.<o></o>
<o></o>
The correct way is #3 (sort of) if you are on a track. The most common and easiest way is #1 or just cruise in on neutral. <o></o>
<o></o>
Driving a manual can be two different things between street and performance/track driving. Street is easy with little effort. Performance takes a hell of a lot of practice and a lot of hand foot coordination. 99% of people drive street style. (probably higher)<o></o>
OK, now think of a car as something that always has to be balanced. Balanced in a turn and in a stop. I used to always teach that the Pedal makes it go and the brake makes it stop. duh right? Well you'd be surprised how many people drop gears and let engines do the stopping. Now to have the car balanced, the engine has to be balanced as well and ready to go. The correct way is to run through the gears and blip the throttle in each gear until 2nd where you will blip and then sit. Heel/Toe it all the way through. Now Heel/Toe (which is not really your heel and toe but more like foot foot knee flick) double declutching is really more useful in turns but getting in the habit on a stop is also something I recommend. As you get to know your car better you will know where the blip needs to be and you will get it to blip perfectly onto the right spot with no car shudder. A nice effect is it shows you really know how to drive and sounds great.
<o></o>
Anyways, I suggest you take a course and then practice practice practice. It is a lot more involved but it's a fun way to drive when you want to. Skip Barber is pretty good and the Audi Racing Experience is also quite good. Private lesson on the roads is great. If you can find a huge empty parking lot to practice in, that's a plus too.

Keep in mind, while being the "correct" way to drive it also puts unnecessary wear and tear on the transmission. Obviously it will waste fuel as well because you are revving the engine every downshift. Rumors that it is terrible for the clutch are untrue. I suppose if you are bad at it and do it wrong every time it's true but you will spend very little time with the clutch engaged when you are good at it so that shouldn't be your concern.

Here's a video but it may be hard to tell on a stop how to do it. Essentially, you will be using the outside of your right foot to hit the pedal while braking while putting your clutch in. Now you will run through the gears coming up on the clutch and repressing through each gear while using the outside of your foot to blip and engage the gear. As you can tell, it takes practice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPj9XXW25GA

Last edited by Trincap; 05-25-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:45 PM
InfiniDrew

To stop I'll downshift two gears and stay in 3rd then use my brakes to come to a stop. Around 1000-700 rpms clutchin and get into netural.
I pretty much do the same thing.

I don't like being in neutral on the chance that I'll need to accelerate/maneuver (light turns green, to avoid an accident, the other lane opened up, etc) during that long stop. Plus, I find it very fun to rev-match (most of the time...unless I'm tired).
Old 05-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
"trying to revmatch" eventually turns into "mindless throttle blip" after you do it for so long.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Mikenicco

The driving in here in Naples, FL is brainless driving. Turning arrows for everything, no turns in the road and home of the 7 minute red light.

I did a alot of city driving in NY & Boston. I can see where you would want to stay in gear at a red light with all the craziness of driving in a busy city.

Quick Reply: How to properly brake to a stop in 6MT?