Has anyone painted stock brake rotor hats?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:24 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PM sent.

I ordered mine on Monday. Just got UPS shipping notice this evening. Two packages at 100.1 lbs total. Says they will be here next Thursday or Friday. I'll post some pics.

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Hey, send me the info too. Sounds great.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:17 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
My only qualm with zinc coating, based on my experience with PowerSlot rotors, is that they don't last that long. The black paint using what i posted above lasted quite a bit longer, and is much cheaper to touch-up especially after rotors are resurfaced.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:40 AM
HamstersG

I thought about the paint method and was going to try it, but while it would be easy for the hats and edge of the rotor/vanes it would not be easy for the slots and holes that get that surface rust look as well so I got lazy and ordered new rotors already coated. If I don't like the new rotors, I am going to paint my StopTech ones with the method you describe even if it is a pain.

Originally Posted by soundmike
My only qualm with zinc coating, based on my experience with PowerSlot rotors, is that they don't last that long. The black paint using what i posted above lasted quite a bit longer, and is much cheaper to touch-up especially after rotors are resurfaced.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:45 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by HamstersG
I thought about the paint method and was going to try it, but while it would be easy for the hats and edge of the rotor/vanes it would not be easy for the slots and holes that get that surface rust look as well so I got lazy and ordered new rotors already coated. If I don't like the new rotors, I am going to paint my StopTech ones with the method you describe even if it is a pain.
Ah, all this time i was just thinking of the blanks. Slots and holes are a different matter altogether.

I guess you could always just paint the whole rotor, including the vanes but not heat cure it. That way the pads will scrape off the paint in the swept areas and leave the rest painted. I don't think it would matter too much seeing as some zinc coated rotors have a coating throughout the rotor surface. If you do this, just take it easy the first few miles while the pad scrapes off that paint or you'll risk having those scraped off paint gummy up on you.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:51 AM
HamstersG

That was my concern. If I did it, I thought I would blue tape off most of the rotor friction area leaving the slots and holes exposed plus a little more to make sure to get the edge of the slots and holes. That way the pads would not have to scrape off that much lowering the chance of gummy action.

If you do this, just take it easy the first few miles while the pad scrapes off that paint or you'll risk having those scraped off paint gummy up on you.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:34 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Paint the entire thing then turn the rotor. Place by my house turns rotors for 5 dollars each.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:41 AM
HamstersG

But I don't want the entire face turned. Only down to the area that is not swept by the pad.

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Paint the entire thing then turn the rotor. Place by my house turns rotors for 5 dollars each.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:26 AM
stewartsw1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've used Dupli-Color® High Heat Paint with Ceramic (the 1200 degree one) in the past, painting both rotor hats and face edges as well as the caliper itself without issue.

If you don't heat cure it after it dries just be careful that you don't scratch the paint while handling and before you get a chance to get some heat in them. If you do bake it in the oven first, the paint is pretty much permanent.
Will the 500 degree dupli-color paint labeled "engine enamel" work also? seems like they have more color options? I want to use it for the calipers as well
Old 06-14-2015, 12:16 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by stewartsw1
Will the 500 degree dupli-color paint labeled "engine enamel" work also? seems like they have more color options? I want to use it for the calipers as well
Use VHT flameproof for the rotors and VHT caliper paint for the calipers. Most of the high temp paints will vaporize when you do a brake pad bed-in.
http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/flameproof/
http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/caliperpaint/
Old 06-14-2015, 12:30 PM
stewartsw1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Use VHT flameproof for the rotors and VHT caliper paint for the calipers. Most of the high temp paints will vaporize when you do a brake pad bed-in.
VHT FlameProof? Coating
VHT Caliper Paint
they dont have flameproof in blue though
Old 06-14-2015, 12:48 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I'd paint the rotors black, but if you want them blue the highest temp engine enamel might work but doubtful if you bed-in your brakes or track your car at all.