how well do g37 brakes hold up

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 03:42 PM
kieranlavin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tmartin316
So if you're not careful, you can overflow the reservoir, correct?
Correct but, like I said, you can remove a little fluid first with a turkey baster
Old 05-11-2009, 08:01 PM
08g37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Heat
If you are talking about the initial bite that the brakes had when you first started driving, yes that has probably worn off. However, your brakes are prob still in very good condition. You can change the brake fluid and you will gain a little longer life out of them. However, if you tend to use your car for performance gains then it might be wise to replace with Hawk pads or Ferodo's.

You are also probably used to your brakes now and you have noticed that they dont feel sharp like they used to but they are just worn in. Try driving another vehicle and come back to yours and feel the difference in performance. I have to say that these brake pads are pretty good and last a while.

On my cars, the brake pads are on average changed out every 35k miles.
yea exactly i remember the first 7k miles id press the brake just a bit and it would stop immediately now it seems like it takes longer so i figured the pads are worn but then again its only 9k miles and made no sense for them to wear out so quick! your probably right just got use to them thanks for the help
Old 03-13-2012, 12:41 PM
RochesterG37

47k miles on stock rotors pads, g37s 6mt ... They are warped pretty bad now and are shaking but I got good life out of them it sounds like ... I'm very confused weather or not to replace with oem style brakes or upgrade to cross drilled slotted rotors ... And what pads to use??? Anybody have educated recomendations???
Old 03-13-2012, 10:10 PM
kieranlavin

Originally Posted by RochesterG37
47k miles on stock rotors pads, g37s 6mt ... They are warped pretty bad now and are shaking but I got good life out of them it sounds like ... I'm very confused weather or not to replace with oem style brakes or upgrade to cross drilled slotted rotors ... And what pads to use??? Anybody have educated recomendations???
Others here will likely disagree with me but cross drilled or slotted rotors aren't necessary and only serve to chew up pads and make them wear more quickly and unevenly.

As far as pads, if you want to go a little more aggressive and not go crazy, I like Carbotech Bobcats which is a bit of an aggressive street pad. You don't have to worry about the pads taking some time to warm up to work, they don't dust too much, but they do sometimes squeak a bit under certain conditions. Personally, I don't mind and sometimes like squeaky brakes but, to me, that means they are there and working like they should
Old 03-25-2012, 09:52 PM
adam

Originally Posted by RochesterG37
I had the same at like 23k but dealer resurfaced the rotors and now at 37k they are making the ugliest noises so I ordered new rotors and pads. I have the car for 4 years (2008) and I live in Chicago so there's a lot of stop and go involved.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:07 AM
dimsler
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The stock pads and rotors are very poor weren't aggressive enough, fell apart after some heavy useage.

Running project MU b-force on centric blanks, all seems fine, but I'm looking into hack in some brake ducts that the 370z guys are putting on to cool them.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:45 AM
jb606

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still on the factory pads at 18k. When I rotated my tires yesterday I noticed plenty of material on the fronts but the rears are going to need changed soon. This is the first car where the rears will wear out before the fronts...strange.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:49 AM
XtatiC

Im at 63k miles with the stock pads and it is now finally time to change them.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:23 AM
toyzforme

Originally Posted by jb606
I'm still on the factory pads at 18k. When I rotated my tires yesterday I noticed plenty of material on the fronts but the rears are going to need changed soon. This is the first car where the rears will wear out before the fronts...strange.
The rears are wearing out due to the traction control, it uses the rear brakes to control wheel spin. You must be out having too much wheel spin LOL
Old 04-27-2012, 03:08 PM
jb606

Originally Posted by toyzforme
The rears are wearing out due to the traction control, it uses the rear brakes to control wheel spin. You must be out having too much wheel spin LOL
Wheel spin...not so much. I do like to see how fast the G goes around corners though. Oh well gotta pay to play.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:31 PM
BlueOnyxG

That's why i don't add brake fluid. I monitor the fluid to make sure its not leaking, but i leave it alone. When i change pads, the fluid goes right back up to where it's supposed to be.

I'm at 40,000km, and my front brakes are good, but for some reason my rear pads are worn and need replacing. I have the pads, just waiting for good weather to put them on.

But that raises another good question, any guys experiencing that the rear pads are wearing quicker than the fronts?
Old 04-27-2012, 03:35 PM
jb606

Originally Posted by BlueOnyxG
That's why i don't add brake fluid. I monitor the fluid to make sure its not leaking, but i leave it alone. When i change pads, the fluid goes right back up to where it's supposed to be.

I'm at 40,000km, and my front brakes are good, but for some reason my rear pads are worn and need replacing. I have the pads, just waiting for good weather to put them on.

But that raises another good question, any guys experiencing that the rear pads are wearing quicker than the fronts?
I'm one of them. Darn TCS.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:22 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
A sticky caliper might cause premature wear too. I'd pull the rears and make sure the slides move freely and clean off/sand any rust present on the pins.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:03 AM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm at almost 69k miles and I still have 6mm and 5mm left on my fronts and backs, respectively. =D I could probably squeeze another year out of them at least if I want to.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:02 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay I'm at 79.5k miles and my slip + VDC light finally came on. Brakes still feel pretty okay but I'll be getting them replaced this weekend anyway with some Stoptech High Performance pads. No vibration coming from the rotors or anything so I may not even need those replaced yet (I think I've only gotten them resurfaced once at the dealership per the TSB). Man, I remember my old 4AT Accord would barely go past 30k without requiring new brakes. I guess having a manual and downshifting really does help.

Quick Reply: how well do g37 brakes hold up