how well do g37 brakes hold up

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:18 PM
08g37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how well do g37 brakes hold up

for all the people that changed ther brakes already and how many miles did you guys do it on? i have about 9000 miles now keep in my mind i live in nyc so lots of braking but it seems as if the brakes arnt as strong as use to be and maybe need to be canged ?! so what was your milage you changed the brakes and did you guys even bother changing the rear one ?
Old 05-10-2009, 10:26 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
I'm still on the original brake pads.. have around 26k miles on her, been to the track twice and still holding up. They might need to be changed with the next service however they are not squeeling yet.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:28 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I have 16,6 miles on mine with approximately 60-70% left according to the guy;s who just put on my tires. I do a lot of downshifting with 5AT and never brake hard.
The following users liked this post:
hooey_b (11-24-2015)
Old 05-10-2009, 10:45 PM
amarcusg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've done 6000 miles on my car and yesterday for the first time, I actually had to SLAM on the breaks to avoid and accident, I was extremely amazed with how well they reacted... they saved me from crashing. I was going about 55 in the right lane and some stupid lady decided to make a right on red and cut me off , I moved over to the middle lane assuming she would just turn into one lane , and she went all the way to the left lane... I slammed on the breaks and within 2 seconds my car went from 55 to a dead stop. I have done a lot of hard driving and breaking but nothing like that before .
Old 05-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Heat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had to slam on the brakes lots due to I am cursed with attracting dumba$$ drivers. I also used to drive in heavy Dallas traffic everyday. I have 28k and have had brakes on order since Jan. The brakes are still good but I am changing for better performance since I track her a lot.

Have you tried changing your brake fluid?
Old 05-11-2009, 12:09 AM
08g37

no i haven't changed the brake fluid... how does this help? I dont know maybe its just my imagination but i feel as if the brakes arnt as responsive maybe its just me i could be wrong.

and for amarcusg37 what does that have anything to do with my question?
Old 05-11-2009, 04:45 AM
Raven

my original brake pads died on me at 11k miles, but it seems my akebonos are defective. the wear on the pads is far too unbalanced for one side of pads.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:50 AM
tmartin316

Wow, I just passed 30k and I'm still on my original pads. Do you guys ride the brakes all day or what? haha Brakes should usually last around 30k shouldn't they? (I really have no idea). When I had my summer wheels put on last month they said my brakes were fine.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Heat

Originally Posted by 08g37
no i haven't changed the brake fluid... how does this help? I dont know maybe its just my imagination but i feel as if the brakes arnt as responsive maybe its just me i could be wrong.

and for amarcusg37 what does that have anything to do with my question?
If you are talking about the initial bite that the brakes had when you first started driving, yes that has probably worn off. However, your brakes are prob still in very good condition. You can change the brake fluid and you will gain a little longer life out of them. However, if you tend to use your car for performance gains then it might be wise to replace with Hawk pads or Ferodo's.

You are also probably used to your brakes now and you have noticed that they dont feel sharp like they used to but they are just worn in. Try driving another vehicle and come back to yours and feel the difference in performance. I have to say that these brake pads are pretty good and last a while.

On my cars, the brake pads are on average changed out every 35k miles.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:58 AM
tmartin316

FYI - I have heard that if you add brake fluid, when they replace your brakes it pushes the added fluid back up through the system and makes a mess in the engine. I don't know if this is still true or if this only happens if a stupid person is changing the breaks or what - but something to keep in mind.

Edit: more explanation. As I understand it, the brake fluid pushes the brake pads and as the pads wear down it requires more brake fluid for the now smaller pads to cover the same distance to squeeze the rotors. When you replace the thinner/worn down brake pads with thicker new pads, that fluid you added has to go somewhere and so it pushes back up through the system and out the top in the engine. True? Easy to prevent? I have no idea.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:20 PM
kieranlavin

My wife's car has 8600 or so miles with no brake problems
Old 05-11-2009, 02:19 PM
notalk

Originally Posted by tmartin316
that fluid you added has to go somewhere and so it pushes back up through the system and out the top in the engine. True? Easy to prevent? I have no idea.
Absolutely false. The brake fluid system is not inerrelated, flow wise, with the engine internals. All that happens is the level in the reservior rises.

P.S. Do not listen to the people you have been listening to. They know not of what they speak.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:55 PM
kieranlavin

He is correct in what he is TRYING to say but hasn't stated it clearly enough.

He meant to say that the brake fluid will overflow the master cylinder if you're not careful when replacing pads. Theoretically you are keeping an eye on your brake fluid level and, when it gets low due to pad wear and thickness, you fill up your master cylinder. When you finally get to the point of replacing your pads, you need to compress the piston back into the caliper thus pushing the extra volume of brake fluid that you are displacing by the thickness of the new pads back up through the brake lines and into your master cylinder. If you've been filling the cylinder the entire time while the pads were wearing thin, you now have too much fluid. If you don't allow for this (a turkey baster works good but I wouldn't recommend mixing kitchen utensils with brake fluid - it doesn't taste that good) when replacing your pads, yes, you will get fluid coming up through the master cylinder and not the engine.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

31K miles, still on stock pads. I will probably have them replaced along with the stock tires at the next service interval.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:32 PM
tmartin316

Ah, thanks for the clarification all. I didn't mean that it would come up through the engine itself, I just meant that it would overflow the reservoir and make a mess in the engine bay.

So if you're not careful, you can overflow the reservoir, correct?

Quick Reply: how well do g37 brakes hold up