People who have rattling issues with the BC Coilovers PLEASE POST IN HERE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 03:45 AM
G37RacerX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got this nagging feeling that the knocking sound I hear is something on my own car (and that of others) that may be making the noise. I think something about changing the struts to something other than stock has caused a problem. What I mean is I think I may have the same noise remain if I were to put the stock set-up back or even change out to a different set of coilovers. This is basically the conclusion that the suspension expert who last worked on my set-up had to say after spending a couple hours going over everything according to the latest instructions posted on this forum by Pete and even talking to Pete on the phone that day about everything it could be and what to check etc, etc.
I think something on the sensitive suspension of the G has been affected, this would also explain why it's only happening to the G37 guys and the 350Z's are all okay...
Old 09-06-2008, 09:54 AM
SFLG35
FGC Central Florida BOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey guys

here is the link to our thread on driver about it:
http://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-s...ml#post3403951

the first 2 pages get into a whole debate about linear vs progressive and have nothing to do with the orginal topic. then the ocg35 guy thinks hes god gift to earth when i start posting about the problem again and think im tryin to demean him.

anyways i dont think the problem lies with the changin of the supension. i have had stockers, then basics, then stockers again as i waited for my bc's, and now bc's and i have the noise. im pretty sure if i take the bc's off in the back the noise will go way.

another idea that come up is just to get rid of the pillow ball upper mount in the rear altogether and replace it with a rubber one, and see if the problem still occurs.

someone could also try taking their upper plate off of the shock and putting the stock one back on and remounting the shock and see if the problem is still there.

there is no one with this problem that is in the state of florida? if there is it would surely help pete figure out the cause, if you could meet up with him.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:08 AM
G37RacerX

Originally Posted by SFLG35
anyways i dont think the problem lies with the changin of the supension. i have had stockers, then basics, then stockers again as i waited for my bc's, and now bc's and i have the noise. im pretty sure if i take the bc's off in the back the noise will go way.
Not sure what you mean by stockers, then basics?, then stockers again but anyhoo...

It would be a PITA to swap back to stock but it sure would nearly prove something one way or another, IE, knocking gone=problem with BC's, knocking remains with stock suspension re-installed after previous BC install=something messed up with the G's suspension...
Old 09-06-2008, 10:11 AM
SFLG35
FGC Central Florida BOD

i had stock suspension, then tein basics, then stock suspension again, and now bc racing.

like i said i dont think it would mess anything up with the car.
it doesnt take that long to change out the rear suspension maybe 30 minutes.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^^Whaddup Dan. I wish I could help but mine dont make any noise.

Its weird because now a few people say they have a clunk and then some say its a rattle.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:29 PM
SFLG35
FGC Central Florida BOD

Originally Posted by Kidcane
^^Whaddup Dan. I wish I could help but mine dont make any noise.

Its weird because now a few people say they have a clunk and then some say its a rattle.
hi chad!!

i think people are gettin the issues confused. its definately not a rattle.
a rattle woudl most likely because by people not having enough preload on their springs and the spring is a little loose.

the knock / clunk we are still trying to figure out.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:24 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G37RacerX
I've got this nagging feeling that the knocking sound I hear is something on my own car (and that of others) that may be making the noise. I think something about changing the struts to something other than stock has caused a problem. What I mean is I think I may have the same noise remain if I were to put the stock set-up back or even change out to a different set of coilovers. This is basically the conclusion that the suspension expert who last worked on my set-up had to say after spending a couple hours going over everything according to the latest instructions posted on this forum by Pete and even talking to Pete on the phone that day about everything it could be and what to check etc, etc.
I think something on the sensitive suspension of the G has been affected, this would also explain why it's only happening to the G37 guys and the 350Z's are all okay...
Its not the car making the noise....
Old 09-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
+1. I have no issue's with my coils. None whatsoever. I hope for everyone's sake that the problem is fixed though
Old 09-06-2008, 02:34 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Originally Posted by ampdG37
+1. I have no issue's with my coils. None whatsoever. I hope for everyone's sake that the problem is fixed though
No **** Shirlock you dont have BCs.... der der der....
Old 09-06-2008, 02:40 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pete, can you please post contact info, I need to order a new rear spring perch, and I also have this awful clunk on the passenger side rear.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
No **** Shirlock you dont have BCs.... der der der....
you still want the you know what?

yes my all mighty smart a$$..lol i was just backing your statement that it is not the car making noise.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:58 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Originally Posted by ampdG37
you still want the you know what?

yes my all mighty smart a$$..lol i was just backing your statement that it is not the car making noise.
hahah I know ... just bustin your chops.... I know your enjoying your coils... rub it in why dont ya....
Old 09-06-2008, 07:51 PM
G37RacerX

Until it's known what exactly is causing the noise, I don't see how anyone can say with 100% certainty that is NOT the car. That is anyone except you Ben, you are smarter than the average bear...

Last edited by G37RacerX; 11-25-2008 at 01:39 PM. Reason: fun
Old 09-06-2008, 11:26 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Originally Posted by G37RacerX
Until it's known what exactly is causing the noise, I don't see how anyone can say with 100% certainty that is NOT the car. That is anyone except you Ben, you are smarter than the average bear...
Appreshinate cha....
Old 09-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Pete@BC

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey everyone,

After my last update I was getting everything ready to ship out those items that made way here. I got a call from a fellow board member with the rattle/knock noise. He's not to far away and we arranged to bring him in on friday late afternoon. I appreciate Dan for coming down to have a ride around and see if we can't finally take care of this. On the first drive out, it was noticeable on low speeds as he said. I tore down the back, checked the shocks, preloads and spring assembly. After 3 attempts and it getting a bit late, we decided we'd work on getting the car back here. I just made contact with Dan today and we are providing him with a rental and we'll have a week with his car to look over and trouble shoot it.

Some of the things we did:

Preload did not make a change

Changed to the older style design, no change.

Changed spring rate.

Took the upper ***** off just incase the extenders were making them pop

Dissassembled the rear shock and tested for any problems, nothing found

Checked the pillowball casing for any signs of it hitting. Found no signs

I did take the top plate off and checked the upper mounting position and found that the bolts are a bit smaller than the ones on our plates. The slop could allow for some play. I thought maybe this could cause the noise shifting. So I looked around the shop and found a perfect spacer. After finishing up, we thought this would have fixed it. It seems to have helped, but the sound is still there. To make sure we are all on the same field here. Dan's noise is generating up high, which leads me to believe it has to do with the top mount. Atleast this is where I will start concentrating trouble shooting first. One thing I want to verify is the 2 upper bolts for the rear top mount of the shock. This is just a thought, most of you having this issue was not immediately. Atleast that's what I've understood. What if using too much preload, or even a combination of preload, extra weight of larger wheels and tires are pulling down on those 2 studs and causing a uneven contact patch for the top plates. Minimal enough to cause it to seesaw and cause a rattle. Strut towers are known to mushroom on certain vehicles, so it is possible but needed to be verified. If any of you that have this rattle issue have a chance, take a look or shoot a pic of how the rear top plate is sitting on the car. I know Dan's had a slight gap.

Well, we'll have the car on thursday evening. So we'll keep everyone updated to the progress. Let me know if there is any questions I can help with.

Quick Reply: People who have rattling issues with the BC Coilovers PLEASE POST IN HERE!!!!