Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Battling a water leak on the driver's side.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 01:16 PM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Having the same leak in my car since last week. Took the car apart but could not get to the sunroof grommets on either sides. Was able to clean the passengers side drain tube with some wire but on the driver side it didn't help too much. If enough water gets in there it's leaking at the grommet (driver's side only). Not paying the dealer hundreds of dollars to fix this. Used some clear silicon and sealed the sunroof.

It hasn't rained since so I still don't know if this even worked.

Last edited by si_driver; 05-23-2018 at 07:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
obsidiansamurai (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 02:54 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ctng37
I thought that too but it was the only reasonable explanation in my mind because I did hear the window move up and seal the day I discovered the leak. That was the only time it leaked but I haven't left it in a rainstorm afterward that. Sucks to hear that the issue persists. Good luck with your plans for the car.
Hopefully it was just your window then, and if it comes back, hopefully it's something you can quickly find.

This leak is a pain in the ***, but I think I'm being a bit of a baby about it. After looking at some vehicles in my price range and test driving a Fiesta ST, I've decided to just deal with the leak. The Fiesta was the sportiest, best value within my price range and is incredibly underwhelming compared to the G. The more I drive different rentals or test drive other cars, the more I realize how great the G is.

Originally Posted by si_driver
Having the same leak in my car since last week. Took the car apart but could not get to the sunroof grommets on either sides. Was able to clean the passengers side drain tube with some wire but on the driver side it didn't help too much. If enough water gets in there it's leaking at the grommet (driver's side only). Not paying the dealer hundreds of dollars to fix this. Used some clear silicon and seal the sunroof.

It hasn't rained since so I still don't know if this even worked.
We're kind of going about it the same way. I took a member's advice and ended up just clogging the sunroof drain hole with some duct tape. I don't think it sealed it good enough so yesterday I sealed the drain hole with some Sugru (which didn't allow any water through - cool stuff that Sugru is). Time will tell if the drain tube is the culprit. Where exactly do you notice your leak?
Old 05-23-2018, 07:50 AM
si_driver
Registered Member

Don't think sealing the drain holes is going to help. Mine was sealed from dirt on the passenger side and water started overflowing down the pillar right into the car. You will always have some water getting past the sunroof seals, don't seal the drain holes. I have completely sealed the sunroof.

Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
Hopefully it was just your window then, and if it comes back, hopefully it's something you can quickly find.

This leak is a pain in the ***, but I think I'm being a bit of a baby about it. After looking at some vehicles in my price range and test driving a Fiesta ST, I've decided to just deal with the leak. The Fiesta was the sportiest, best value within my price range and is incredibly underwhelming compared to the G. The more I drive different rentals or test drive other cars, the more I realize how great the G is.

We're kind of going about it the same way. I took a member's advice and ended up just clogging the sunroof drain hole with some duct tape. I don't think it sealed it good enough so yesterday I sealed the drain hole with some Sugru (which didn't allow any water through - cool stuff that Sugru is). Time will tell if the drain tube is the culprit. Where exactly do you notice your leak?
Old 05-23-2018, 09:04 AM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Originally Posted by si_driver
Don't think sealing the drain holes is going to help. Mine was sealed from dirt on the passenger side and water started overflowing down the pillar right into the car. You will always have some water getting past the sunroof seals, don't seal the drain holes. I have completely sealed the sunroof.
I was thinking the water would just route and exit the other drain holes - didn't really consider that it might overflow. Can you easily remove the clear silicone?
Old 05-25-2018, 10:54 AM
si_driver
Registered Member

Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
I was thinking the water would just route and exit the other drain holes - didn't really consider that it might overflow. Can you easily remove the clear silicone?
I should be able to. Silicone doesn't really stick well to things. . Once it is dry it comes off pretty easily.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:24 AM
Saltman
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 29 Posts
I'm currently having the passenger side leak due to running wires through that grommet in the firewall. I wish I never touched it. Impossible for me to seat it back correctly so I tried patching it all up with flexseal. Nope, still leaking. I'm gonna try RTV sealant next.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:10 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Saltman
I'm currently having the passenger side leak due to running wires through that grommet in the firewall. I wish I never touched it. Impossible for me to seat it back correctly so I tried patching it all up with flexseal. Nope, still leaking. I'm gonna try RTV sealant next.
Have you had any luck with your passenger side leak? My driver's side no longer leaks after plugging the drain hole with some silicone tack, but now my passenger side leaks. I went ahead and just silicone sealed the entire sunroof so I could isolate the leak, but that didn't seem to affect it. I noticed the leak originates from the center of the car (kind of by where the radio is), as the door side is dry at first. Does this sound similar to your leak?
Old 12-03-2018, 02:27 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
I've replaced and re-routed both sunroof drain tubes: passenger to T with the AC drain, and driver's to a flat spot in the floor immediately inboard of the foam dead pedal. Had a long long rainy weekend where I DIDN'T drive the car and water in the driver's floor again. SIGH.

So none of the a-pillar insides, inside the headliner, or firewall seems to be wet. The drain I drilled through the floor doesn't feel wet.That is clear hose down to the hole, right angle fitting, and a grommet in the hole itself. The right angle fitting actually hangs a little below the hole to the outside that is immediately underneath. The grey firewall insulation didn't feel wet. So... where the heck is it coming from?

I'm not seeing any signs of water ingress, and I still have the entire interior save driver's seat out.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:35 AM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
I've replaced and re-routed both sunroof drain tubes: passenger to T with the AC drain, and driver's to a flat spot in the floor immediately inboard of the foam dead pedal. Had a long long rainy weekend where I DIDN'T drive the car and water in the driver's floor again. SIGH.

So none of the a-pillar insides, inside the headliner, or firewall seems to be wet. The drain I drilled through the floor doesn't feel wet.That is clear hose down to the hole, right angle fitting, and a grommet in the hole itself. The right angle fitting actually hangs a little below the hole to the outside that is immediately underneath. The grey firewall insulation didn't feel wet. So... where the heck is it coming from?

I'm not seeing any signs of water ingress, and I still have the entire interior save driver's seat out.
Sorry to hear you're dealing with this too. I did have a driver's side leak as well, but plugging that sunroof drain hole has kept it from leaking (I need to fix the actual drain tube but I'm far too lazy). It sounds like your leak is similar to the new leak that has developed on my passenger side. Have you been able to get a look at the floorboards when the leak has just started? My leak seems to come from the center console area, almost buy the gearbox.

I'm having a body shop look at my passenger side leak right now, so I'll let you know if they find the source. But if they don't find the source, I'm not sure what to do. I guess just cover it when I can and deal with the leak when I can't cover it. I worry about mold, though. Having an interior water leak really cheapens the experience with this car.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:48 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Didn't leak in test drive-through car wash. Must be from sustained rain (it rained here for 2 days solid).

I did have a leak from the center area / AC evaporator box. I had the battery cover and plastic hood/windshield trim out and rain just poured into the fan motor and by extension the evap box. But those are back in there and that leak was passenger side onto the firewall mat.

I need to get under the dash on the driver's side. There's a ton of firewall penetrations there. Also should check the door seals.
I worry about mold too. I'm afraid I'll have to pull the entire dash out to get in there and clean.

I'm tempted to drill a hole in the bottom of the 'well' in the floorboards and epoxy some goretex in there - water out but no water in.

Sigh. I'm not in love with my almost-$20k used luxury car not having any interior and being kinda a PITA to drive.
The following users liked this post:
obsidiansamurai (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 12:54 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Just had a thought. When removing the interior I found an 8-gauge power wire (and trigger wire) from firewall (cut somewhere) along the outer sill to the back seat. That had to go through the firewall somewhere; I don't see a big enough wire inside for amp-level amperage.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:49 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

I've considered the same route of drilling some semi-permeable drain hole in the floor, but that's really a last resort as I don't like the idea of it.

There are some posts out there about people finding a leak after running wires for subs, so that could be a likely cause. The previous owner of my car had subs as well and I ended up spraying a bunch of water where I thought the wires once were, which didn't result in a leak. That's really been the issue with tracking this sucker down, I can't seem to recreate the leak easily. Sometimes after a car wash it will leak, then other times it won't. This is why I don't have much confidence in this body shop finding the leak.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:22 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Same here. Need a hurricane or several days rain to recreate. Problem is, that is a seasonally recurring event where I live, if not monthly. I guess I need to sleep in the car wearing a headlamp to find the gosh-darn leak source.

On the other hand, with no interior I have gained a few MPGs.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:59 AM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

lol, weight reduction ftw!
Old 12-06-2018, 12:43 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Just got the car back from the body shop and they weren't able to find the source of the leak unfortunately. Only plus side is that they didn't charge me a dime - that's some incredibly good customer service right there.

So this leak is my albatross, and I'll just have to deal with it for the next few years until the car's paid off. Luckily I have a car cover and can prevent it from leaking most of the time, but I'm sad I can't hang onto this car forever.

Quick Reply: Battling a water leak on the driver's side.