Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Question about replacing leather seats in my 2012 G37 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 03:59 PM
leashg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about replacing leather seats in my 2012 G37 Coupe

Hey guys,

I have a black obsidian G37 convertible with wheat interior. I love the car but my the leather in the front of the vehicle is cracking terriblty in 3 spots. The 3 spots are the entire center console, the driver's side seat (specifically the right panel facing the passenger), and the center panel in the passenger seat. What are my best options at this point? Am I able to have those 3 areas reupholstered or will I have to do the entire seats? Anyone know anyone in the central Florida area who does this type of work? I'm not looking to break the bank by any means, I just want my car's interior to look nice again.

Thanks for any help or advice!

Last edited by leashg37; 03-09-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:10 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
its kinda hard to tell from the description, if you can post a picture and circle the parts more ppl can probably help but...

look for replacement seat surfaces (covers) on ebay for the seat pieces..I've seen the top and bottom halves selling separately for reasonable prices for the coupe and sedan.

for the centre console try ebay and wreckers (car-part.com or hollanderparts.com) I've been looking for replacement console parts for my sedan and the prices are way better than ebay at that wreckers...ebay price for part of the console is similar to the price for the whole console form a wrecker...YMMV as shipping is more expensive for me....

I have no idea how much reupholstering costs where you are but its mad expensive where I am...maybe someone else can help with that
Old 03-09-2018, 07:35 PM
soundkillr

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I'd have the panels (sections) replaced by a leather shop. If you choose to replace the seats (despite what ebay tells you or anyone else here says) seats from an 08 are NOT interchangeable if you have seat heaters....
That's said 09 and up should work, as long as you don't have cooled seats. If your seats are heated and cooled then you will need to search specifically for those if you wish to entirely replace the seats.... (in the event it's cheaper than a patch stich in from a leather shop)
Old 03-10-2018, 12:01 PM
spock
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I really don't think you'd be able to just have individual panels replaced and expect it to look good. The new panels would really stick out. Plus good luck matching the colour to begin with. If you can find someone parting out their G with stone seats, (white), that would be your best bet. Then you could either replace the entire seats or retrieve the panels that you need. That way they would match.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:19 PM
soundkillr

A good interior shop can easily match and replace the leather sections. It will be expensive though....
Old 04-10-2018, 03:17 PM
stevo4756
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by soundkillr
I'd have the panels (sections) replaced by a leather shop. If you choose to replace the seats (despite what ebay tells you or anyone else here says) seats from an 08 are NOT interchangeable if you have seat heaters....
That's said 09 and up should work, as long as you don't have cooled seats. If your seats are heated and cooled then you will need to search specifically for those if you wish to entirely replace the seats.... (in the event it's cheaper than a patch stich in from a leather shop)
why isn't the 08 seat interchangeable? I was planning on replacing the leather skin seeing that they can be found lightly used for very cheap. Often the heater element is still attached, is this going to be an issue? I was quoted almost $300 to replace one piece of leather that is about 2 feet long (upper bolster) on my 08 coupe. Ridiculous. Id rather re skin the seat for $100 less and have fresh leather on the top half of the seat. There is a write up on NICOclub.com for custom upholstery / seat cover replacement for 350z which is essentially the same process as the g37 leather seats. -Steve
Old 04-10-2018, 04:05 PM
soundkillr

The seats will interchange but the seat heater pin outs are completely different. 08 had rocker switches and 09 and up used dial switches with multiple phases for the heaters. The leathers will interchange and the heat elements may be the same, but if you put later seats (the entire seat) in an 08 be prepared to do modifications if you want the seat heaters to work.
FYI, I put 13 seats in my 08 and everything worked except seat heaters, after tons of work, and custom load modulation and phase controllers I got the heaters to work with the updated dial switches.
It's entirely possible that Nissan used the same heating pads throughout the years, and only added a heat control module and changed the pin outs at the main harness. If that's the case, then re skinning the seat with newer covers will allow plug and play to your old harness.

Last edited by soundkillr; 04-10-2018 at 04:13 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 04-10-2018, 04:11 PM
soundkillr

Let me add to this by trying to clear some confusion. Before I put in my 13 seats, I bought used skins off ebay. I doubt seriously they were from an 08, but I used them and plugged them right into my old seat heater harness. Everything worked great. That said, you may have no issue at all. I would definitely compare the heater pigtail wires and make sure they are the same. No big deal at all, and I would guess they would fit, if not, simple rewiring should work.
In my case I got into rewiring once I decided to put in newer seats from a 13. Everyone thinks they are plug and play, and they are, if you don't own an 08. All other functions still work except seat heaters, and they can be made to work, it just takes more time...
Old 04-11-2018, 04:08 PM
stevo4756
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by soundkillr
Let me add to this by trying to clear some confusion. Before I put in my 13 seats, I bought used skins off ebay. I doubt seriously they were from an 08, but I used them and plugged them right into my old seat heater harness. Everything worked great. That said, you may have no issue at all. I would definitely compare the heater pigtail wires and make sure they are the same. No big deal at all, and I would guess they would fit, if not, simple rewiring should work.
In my case I got into rewiring once I decided to put in newer seats from a 13. Everyone thinks they are plug and play, and they are, if you don't own an 08. All other functions still work except seat heaters, and they can be made to work, it just takes more time...
You da man / woman / IT ! Excellent detail! Thank you! Lol