Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Paint (clearcoat?) Issues - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 10:03 PM
monty2003
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Paint (clearcoat?) Issues - Need Help

Car is a 2009 G37XS with 45k miles. I've had it for just under a year. Always garaged - day and night. I keep it clean and have never placed a cover on it and am not aware of any exposure to chemicals. Who knows what the PO did but this car was clean so I assumed it was well cared for.

A few weeks ago I noticed some strange "ghosting" in the paint. Most of it is on the hood, a few spots on the roof, and one spot on the rear quarter. The only thing I have done to the car in the past few weeks was had it waxed by a local (and trusted) carwash. They did no buffing and applied and removed the wax by hand. When I brought the car in today the owner tried some diamond cut compound and it would not take out the marks. He said he's never seen anything like it and told me to take it to the dealer.

I fear the clear coat is missing in these spots. In the worst spots, it think I can actually feel a dip in the surface where it is less shiny. I'd try to explain the spots but in this case a picture is worth a thousand words - they're all over my hood. It was hard to take pictures and had to manually focus the lens. In order to see these spots one has to look at about a 45 degree angle. At greater angles you can't even see them.

Any idea what these are and what caused them? Any idea how to get rid of them?

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited by monty2003; 07-10-2013 at 06:51 AM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 07-09-2013, 10:05 PM
monty2003
Registered Member

more pictures

Old 07-09-2013, 11:49 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Very strange that it suddenly appeared as I'm certain you would have noticed this in your regular detailing of the car if it had been there awhile. If you've had the car a year now I doubt anything the previous owner did would have taken so long to appear. It really looks like residue from a tarp, car cover, a clear bra (or vinyl wrap) that was removed, or something else that may have a light adhesive.
If it were me I'd find the most hidden part of the damaged area and try a small 2" circle w/ some Maquairs Ultimate compound on a primed micro towel or waxing pad. Very strange that your friend w/ the diamond cutting compound had no effect though. Hard to say over the internet, sounds like you've already tried what should have been effective. Good Luck, I seriously doubt the dealer will do anything, if it was a rust issue possibly, but paint finish you're usually SOL
Old 07-10-2013, 12:04 AM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks like physical damage to me from adhesive, plastic cover, even the shipping plastic wrap...perhaps it took several years to show up in the clear coat.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:37 AM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Does look like tape residue. I am sure your detailer friend tried IPA as well? Hard to tell from these pictures if this looks like adhesive tape residue or if part of clearcoat is gone.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:07 PM
monty2003
Registered Member

Just tried the IPA and it did nothing. I did notice when the surface was flooded with the IPA (the mark was wet), all traces of it disappeared. As the alcohol evaporated, the mark again became visible. This leads me to believe it is some type of clearcoat damage.

Wild guess here but is there some type of clear filler that the dealer could have used to prep the car for sale (to me) to cover up previous damage? Perhaps the hand wax removed the filler?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 07-12-2013, 04:24 PM
lightlypurified
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
looks like plastic film paint protection.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:39 PM
XSman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would ask the folks on the car care & detailing subforum.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:15 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by monty2003
Car is a 2009 G37XS with 45k miles. I've had it for just under a year. Always garaged - day and night. I keep it clean and have never placed a cover on it and am not aware of any exposure to chemicals. Who knows what the PO did but this car was clean so I assumed it was well cared for.

A few weeks ago I noticed some strange "ghosting" in the paint. Most of it is on the hood, a few spots on the roof, and one spot on the rear quarter. The only thing I have done to the car in the past few weeks was had it waxed by a local (and trusted) carwash. They did no buffing and applied and removed the wax by hand. When I brought the car in today the owner tried some diamond cut compound and it would not take out the marks. He said he's never seen anything like it and told me to take it to the dealer.

I fear the clear coat is missing in these spots. In the worst spots, it think I can actually feel a dip in the surface where it is less shiny. I'd try to explain the spots but in this case a picture is worth a thousand words - they're all over my hood. It was hard to take pictures and had to manually focus the lens. In order to see these spots one has to look at about a 45 degree angle. At greater angles you can't even see them.

Any idea what these are and what caused them? Any idea how to get rid of them?

Thanks,
Brian

TSB ITB99043
Addresses the issue with clear coat damage due to Paint Guard Film left too long during transport. Or left at dealer too long in storage.
The following users liked this post:
monty2003 (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 12:50 PM
monty2003
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
TSB ITB99043
Addresses the issue with clear coat damage due to Paint Guard Film left too long during transport. Or left at dealer too long in storage.

Very interesting. I found a link to the PDF
http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/1PF10.pdf

And it sounds like it is typically temporary. The odd thing is that this recently appeared. It's really popping up on my roof now too. So far, it's all over my hood, my roof, and a spot on the left rear quarter panel all facing upward (horizontal). Nothing on the deck lid (yet).

Great suggestion in posting to the sub forum.

Thanks guys,
Brian
Old 09-04-2013, 09:35 PM
monty2003
Registered Member

Update on this post:

brought the car in a few days day prior to bumper to bumper warranty expiring. Two service techs looked at it and said they had never seen anything like it. The sent me home with a loaner.

I picked up the car today and the paint is perfect - their buffer guy was able to get all of the bad marks off with a high speed buff. He thinks that the wax used on my car was bad (most likely old) and had separated causing a strange chemical reaction with my paint. Looks like I need to find a new detail shop.

Anyway - problem solved and I got to drive a nice 2012 loaner for 6 days, the fixed my paint for $80, fixed my cup holder (warranty), and even replaced my belt (warranty).

I highly recommend Infiniti of Naperville in the Chicago area.

Brian
Old 09-04-2013, 10:17 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by monty2003
Update on this post:

brought the car in a few days day prior to bumper to bumper warranty expiring. Two service techs looked at it and said they had never seen anything like it. The sent me home with a loaner.

I picked up the car today and the paint is perfect - their buffer guy was able to get all of the bad marks off with a high speed buff. He thinks that the wax used on my car was bad (most likely old) and had separated causing a strange chemical reaction with my paint. Looks like I need to find a new detail shop.

Anyway - problem solved and I got to drive a nice 2012 loaner for 6 days, the fixed my paint for $80, fixed my cup holder (warranty), and even replaced my belt (warranty).

I highly recommend Infiniti of Naperville in the Chicago area.

Brian
Awesome Brian, nice to hear a happy ending and a good experience w/ your dealer Be sure to put some fresh Carnauba wax on your paint ASAP, freshly compounded & polished paint needs protection.