Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

How to fix chipped paint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 10:21 PM
pharmsoup

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to fix chipped paint?

I have gotten a few chipped spots on the hood of my black car and now there are permanent little white spots on the hood. I don't know how they got there, but it seems like the paint job is pretty cheap. There are also some nicks on the inside of my front fascia. This really pisses me off. Is there a way to get this fix for cheap? Where should I go?
Old 06-04-2012, 10:36 PM
GET_SOME

you have one of two options either use a paint pen to cover it up so they are not visible from a distance or you can have the parts repainted profesionally.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:07 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Dr.ColorChip Custom Automotive Touch-Up Paint Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems
Old 06-05-2012, 12:03 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
This product works well, but to take it to the next level this guy over on the Porsche forum came out w/ a method that makes the repairs blend even better
Paint Chip Repair--DIY - Rennlist Discussion Forums
Old 06-05-2012, 03:32 AM
autodoof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I second the use of Dr. ColorChip for these repairs. The process is easy, the matching is excellent and I can't even find where the chips once were. My car is Graphite shadow.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Freshness

I just use touch up paint. Probably not the best option but it's the fastest and only costs 10 bucks. Unless you're looking for it you wouldn't notice.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:57 PM
beattyG37

I used Dr. Colorchip this week and it is AWSOME. I was about ready to have my front end repainted due to all the rock chips. It's not perfect but sooooooo much better than it was. And much better / easier than typical dealer touch-up paint.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:12 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by beattyG37
I used Dr. Colorchip this week and it is AWSOME. I was about ready to have my front end repainted due to all the rock chips. It's not perfect but sooooooo much better than it was. And much better / easier than typical dealer touch-up paint.
I got their "road rash" kit sitting in the box just waiting for me to tackle these chips. Really need to get this done since all these chips annoy the hell out of me
Glad you had good results!
Old 08-12-2012, 03:56 PM
g37musings

I too have had great luck with Dr. Colorchip.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:37 PM
twerk

chips suck. I think we all just need to slow down . lol
Old 08-12-2012, 06:16 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
After 8 months and ~4K miles, I've got none that I can see on any of the metal panels, but the front bumper (fortunately it's plastic) has a few rock chips.

Being the graphite shadow color, things like dirt, rock chips, etc are barely noticeable unless you're up close.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,604 Likes on 3,448 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Being the graphite shadow color, things like dirt, rock chips, etc are barely noticeable unless you're up close.
So true about Graphite Shadow. There seems to be a black undercoat beneath the paint, so when my Moonlight White gets a chip, you see it like a zit on a hot cheerleader.

I'm at 8K miles, and I've already filled, sanded and polished 3 chips. There are at least 3 more than I know of that I haven't dealt with yet, because PITA. Really, I ought to start keeping notes.

Seriously, that's not a bad idea for anybody to consider. After washing, waxing and polishing the car, that's when you're most likely to take notice of a new chip, however small. And that's when it's a good time to record where it is.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:33 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Rochester
So true about Graphite Shadow. There seems to be a black undercoat beneath the paint, so when my Moonlight White gets a chip, you see it like a zit on a hot cheerleader.

I'm at 8K miles, and I've already filled, sanded and polished 3 chips. There are at least 3 more than I know of that I haven't dealt with yet, because PITA. Really, I ought to start keeping notes.

Seriously, that's not a bad idea for anybody to consider. After washing, waxing and polishing the car, that's when you're most likely to take notice of a new chip, however small. And that's when it's a good time to record where it is.
My Black G has a gray undercoat so there's no need for me to make any notes of where they are, and they're everywhere, bet they number 60-70 chips . Hopefully I'll get most of them dealt with tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see how this goes, I'll be sure to take before & after pics.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:58 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
My Black G has a gray undercoat so there's no need for me to make any notes of where they are, and they're everywhere, bet they number 60-70 chips . Hopefully I'll get most of them dealt with tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see how this goes, I'll be sure to take before & after pics.
That's different than my old OB 07G35x. Every chip on the front bumper was hard to notice (from >5' dist.) because it was black under the paint too. The few hood chips really popped though. Nice bright shiny silver when fresh due to the aluminum hood. At least they don't rust.
I had clear bra put on my newer G with in a few days of purchase.

I would use touch-ups like Dr. Paintchip in the interim but ultimately, if you're keeping the car a while, get it properly painted and possibly even get a clear-bra. It can pay-off when you go to sell as well.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:29 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
That's different than my old OB 07G35x. Every chip on the front bumper was hard to notice (from >5' dist.) because it was black under the paint too. The few hood chips really popped though. Nice bright shiny silver when fresh due to the aluminum hood. At least they don't rust.
I had clear bra put on my newer G with in a few days of purchase.

I would use touch-ups like Dr. Paintchip in the interim but ultimately, if you're keeping the car a while, get it properly painted and possibly even get a clear-bra. It can pay-off when you go to sell as well.
I misread, I was referring to the primer under the paint, you're right about the bumper, about the only thing that won't show on our black Gs

Quick Reply: How to fix chipped paint?