Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Skyline 370GT steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:31 PM
oro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZOSTER33
So is Lexus with Toyota and Acura with Honda but I don't ever recall seeing any of those so called "Luxury Cars" ever being converted back a Toyota or a Honda!

I don't know about any of you but I paid a premium for the Infiniti name. If I really wanted that Nissan name tag I would have just purchased a front wheel drive Maxima!
I've seen it a lot, I see "Honda Integras" A lot, same with the RSX being rebadged as the Teg. I've seen a few "Toyota Soarers". Really isn't a big deal, the premium you pay is for the luxury amenities the car is known for, other then that the guts are the exact same in a 370z.

I wouldn't care if it said Nissan or Infiniti, I do think the Infiniti badge looks a little nicer but the Skyline name sure beats the hell out of G37. That's where the Z guys differ, I would never have badged my 350Z as Fairlady, maybe if it was named Razorshark then I would. *shrug* Same exact car, different badges and different driving position.

If you wanted the same package *but faster* you would have purchased a Z. The Max is a pretty bad comparison unless you are driving the sedan I guess. Even though a RWD G would still rape the tar out of a FWD Maxima, not even close.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:42 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
A NSX is a Honda in Japan...

This is one of the times where it seems okay that people pay for a name, however it is often that a quality aftermarket brand is mentioned on this forum and the remarks are made that it is "ludicrous" and "absurd" to spend "that kind of money on parts for this car" from, ironically enough, a company whose parts are actually proven and have earned the reputation to warrant a high price tag. People seem to have their logic twisted at times. It is branding. The difference being that, aside from the steering wheel being on the opposite side of the vehicle, it is the exact same car as the Nissan in Japan. Nissan makes your Infiniti. The parts are the same, they have a different decal/badge.

Just my trivial ruminations.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:49 PM
oro

Preach on Sir.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:07 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
So is Lexus with Toyota and Acura with Honda but I don't ever recall seeing any of those so called "Luxury Cars" ever being converted back a Toyota or a Honda!

I don't know about any of you but I paid a premium for the Infiniti name. If I really wanted that Nissan name tag I would have just purchased a front wheel drive Maxima!
There are TONS of cars rebadged from Toyota/Lexus and Acura/Honda and vice versa. Ever heard of Soarer, Celsior, Fuga ...??

Sorry to inform you but your INFINITI costs as much as a SKYLINE in Japan, Australia and other parts of Asia. (I've read that they cost much more in Australia with a NISSAN badge)

And you can't compare a Maxima to a G/Skyline. Apples and oranges....

Like what Bill said, it's all about branding. They're the exact same car, with a different name due to location.

OP.... there are a few guys here living in Japan. It might be a stretch but maybe they can point you to the right direction as to where you can buy the airbag cover or a whole steering assembly. I'm pretty sure they're interchangeable.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:35 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
[QUOTE=myk1013;3434992]There are TONS of cars rebadged from Toyota/Lexus and Acura/Honda and vice versa. Ever heard of Soarer, Celsior, Fuga ...?? Never have, sorry but you learn something new everyday. Thanks

Sorry to inform you but your INFINITI costs as much as a SKYLINE in Japan, Australia and other parts of Asia. (I've read that they cost much more in Australia with a NISSAN badge) I'm sure it does, never said differently.

And you can't compare a Maxima to a G/Skyline. Apples and oranges.... Apples and Oranges yet owned by Nissan??

Like what Bill said, it's all about branding. They're the exact same car, with a different name due to location.
This is due to the fact that back in 1989 Nissan had to come up with something to compete against Lexus here in the states hence the Infiniti name brand but the Japan Nissan models differ from their US counterparts with the Nissan name.

Hey but I'm not blasting Nissan in anyway. They have done a great job with all their vehicles. I own a 1990 240SX and a 2007 Altima Hybrid!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:08 PM
cribbsjy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
And you can't compare a Maxima to a G/Skyline. Apples and oranges.... Apples and Oranges yet owned by Nissan??
And Chevrolet has the Corvette and the Camaro, so I guess it is Apples to Apples to compare them against one another? I think not.

You have your opinion on what you want your car to be, which is an Infiniti G37. The OP would like to "JDM" his/her car and make it a Nissan Skyline 370GT. What is the problem?

You may see a difference between Infiniti and Nissan, but I don't. Perhaps the OP doesn't either. I don't think Acura and Honda are any different, nor do I think Toyota and Lexus are any different. It's all just badging, evidenced by the fact that if the OP rebadges his car to a Nissan 370GT, it is essentially a 370GT (though on record it would still be listed as an Infiniti G37).

Back to the original question, OP, you may have to try to get ahold of someone in Japan who owns a 370GT and see if they can get you the part #. Not sure if a Nissan dealership here in the US can get that info for you.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:35 PM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's with the blue weird looking font?
Old 04-30-2012, 03:38 PM
oro

Originally Posted by B L U E S L A T E
What's with the blue weird looking font?
Because his car is Slate Blue....uh oh....you need to change your font.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:40 PM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hella JDM yo.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by cribbsjy
And Chevrolet has the Corvette and the Camaro, so I guess it is Apples to Apples to compare them against one another? I think not.

You have your opinion on what you want your car to be, which is an Infiniti G37. The OP would like to "JDM" his/her car and make it a Nissan Skyline 370GT. What is the problem?

You may see a difference between Infiniti and Nissan, but I don't. Perhaps the OP doesn't either. I don't think Acura and Honda are any different, nor do I think Toyota and Lexus are any different. It's all just badging, evidenced by the fact that if the OP rebadges his car to a Nissan 370GT, it is essentially a 370GT (though on record it would still be listed as an Infiniti G37).
I think the problem for some of us is that it represents what can be called “underbadging,” i.e., taking a luxury brand that we paid extra for and badging it for a general product in the manufacturer’s line. Perhaps we’re a bit snobbish, because we do see the difference between Infiniti and Nissan, so we don’t understand the motivation for doing it.

If I thought there was no difference between the two brands, I would have bought an Altima Coupe instead of a G37 Coupe and saved a few bucks. But coming off many Nissans, I wanted to move forward.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:31 PM
oro

Originally Posted by Chekov
I think the problem for some of us is that it represents what can be called “underbadging,” i.e., taking a luxury brand that we paid extra for and badging it for a general product in the manufacturer’s line. Perhaps we’re a bit snobbish, because we do see the difference between Infiniti and Nissan, so we don’t understand the motivation for doing it.

If I thought there was no difference between the two brands, I would have bought an Altima Coupe instead of a G37 Coupe and saved a few bucks. But coming off many Nissans, I wanted to move forward.
Well and the biggest difference in the Altima and Maxima being wrong wheel drive and nowhere near the power output.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:43 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
I think what most are trying to say is that you wouldn't badge your car as an Altima because you do not have an Altima. What you do have, however, is what is called a Skyline 370GT in Japan. It is the same car. You are correct in saying that an Altima is a downgrade. It's a completely different car... People, for whatever reason, like the idea badging their car as its likeness outside of what is familiar, but not necessarily badging it as something that it is not. Japanese enthusiasts often badge their Skylines as G37s and some enthusiasts in the US like to badge their G37s as Skylines.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:46 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
[QUOTE=cribbsjy;3435070]And Chevrolet has the Corvette and the Camaro, so I guess it is Apples to Apples to compare them against one another? I think not. I wouldn't classify the Camaro with the Corvette nor should you. Two totally different cars but if you want a comparison we can do Camaro to Challenger? Besides I did that comparison since Nissan doesn't offer the Skyline in the US. So if we are shopping for cars here in the US NOT Japan then it is a fair comparison. The Maxima is no slouch! Oh and the fact that OP asked if the 09 Maxima steering Wheel fit the G's!!!

You have your opinion on what you want your car to be, which is an Infiniti G37. The OP would like to "JDM" his/her car and make it a Nissan Skyline 370GT. What is the problem? No problem at all on my end. It's his car he can do whatever he wants to do with it.OP Good Luck with your Mods!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Please understand that my comment about the Altima was tongue-in-cheek in response to a poster’s comment saying there was no difference between the two makes. I certainly never considered buying the Altima, a FWD, lower powered car. Besides, my old Nissan dealer doesn’t provide free coffee and donuts.

But I still say even though under the skin the G37 and 370GT are the same car, trying make one to be exactly like the other in the final analysis would be an unsuccessful, and expensive, attempt. Like I said before, when all the mods are in place (and I never heard of anyone doing all of them) the VIN still says it’s a G37.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Alkatraz

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I just have to LOL at all of you badge tragic's in the US. One of the reasons that I went through the trouble of importing my 370GT into Australia is because it is VERY unique over here (as far as I know there are only 3 in Western Australia). Some of you sound like the kind of people who would buy a Mercedes A Class and walk around with a hard-on because you now own a Merc. A great car is a great car, a **** car is a **** car, regardless of the badges on it.

Props to the OP for wanting to do something a little different and trying to be a little unique. Don't listen to any of these brand tragic's OP, they would have shunned the Dino back in the day because it wasn't a 'real' Ferrari....

If you want any JDM parts, new or used, go to this site JDM Parts and Racing Accessories direct from Japan: RHDJapan.com

They might not have what you are looking for on the site, but send them an email stating what you are after or give them a call (a Japanese lady will answer but when you speak English she will pass you over to someone who understands, from memory it is owned/run by an Aussie).

He was able to find me a couple of used door handles for my old series 8 RX7, I just needed a couple of the pieces so didn't want to pay $200+ for new one.

I would say that there have been plenty of 370GT's crashed in Japan so there should be heaps of spares around. You just need to find one that didn't crash badly enough to have the air-bag deploy.

EDIT: P.S. Be prepared to choke at the cost, everything out of Japan is expensive, especially when you are accustomed to paying US prices.
The following users liked this post:
GTLAW (04-12-2013)

Quick Reply: Skyline 370GT steering wheel