Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Windshields are expensive!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Windshields are expensive!

Just found a crack on my windshield last night. Called Apple Auto Glass.......$1,200.00, all in!!
Called the dealership and they recommended a different place. $1,050.00, all in!

It has been many years since I had to replace a windshield. Wow, have they ever gotten expensive! I have a $250 deductible so the personal pain is pretty limited.

Shane D
Old 07-08-2011, 01:00 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Shane D
Just found a crack on my windshield last night. Called Apple Auto Glass.......$1,200.00, all in!!
Called the dealership and they recommended a different place. $1,050.00, all in!

It has been many years since I had to replace a windshield. Wow, have they ever gotten expensive! I have a $250 deductible so the personal pain is pretty limited.

Shane D
YEOWZERS!!!
Windshields are expensive and once you add the auto sensing wipers and the speckled tint/heat shield around the perimeter they get real pricy.

Here in the US most insurers (depending upon state) offer full glass coverage with $0 deductable as part of your automobile insurance coverage for a nominal (like less than $20 upcharge to your annual premium)

Good luck!
Old 07-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Originally Posted by bschurr
YEOWZERS!!!
Windshields are expensive and once you add the auto sensing wipers and the speckled tint/heat shield around the perimeter they get real pricy.

Here in the US most insurers (depending upon state) offer full glass coverage with $0 deductable as part of your automobile insurance coverage for a nominal (like less than $20 upcharge to your annual premium)

Good luck!
I thought it was a minimal deductible many years ago. The way rates have shot up over the last decade, maybe my agent figured I would rather save a few bucks on premiums.
Considering the actual cost, I suppose $250.00 ain't bad.

Shane D
Old 07-08-2011, 03:39 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts

Shane D
Is that like Canadian Dollars???

It's $368.00 for OEM glass from Safelite, and $750 from dealer using factory glass.

Im in LA where everything is inflated.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:44 PM
indyn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got quotes from $275 - $500 installed for non-insurance replacements, good quality glass as well.

If insurance is involved the price was little high.

This is in Ottawa, Canada
Old 07-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

The price I was quoted was $950.00, plus tax (installed). He claimed there is presently only one in all of Canada. I believe that IF they do not use the coupe windshield. There is probably not much more one hundred G37 'verts in all of Canada.

Anyway, it is going to cost me $250.00. I have to file this under, it is what it is.

Shane D
Old 07-08-2011, 07:41 PM
stevelam

the car is the same as the coupe in the front to the a pillar. the a pillar back is where everything else is different on the vehicle so the windshield should be the same
Old 07-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Originally Posted by stevelam
the car is the same as the coupe in the front to the a pillar. the a pillar back is where everything else is different on the vehicle so the windshield should be the same
Do you think so? I thought the 'vert was a little bit more raked back. Is there a sensor in the glass for rain sensing wipers? The Apply guy called back and said that if we could find it cheaper he'd install for $100.00.

I might check with an Ottawa shop just out of curiosity.

Shane D
Old 07-09-2011, 03:34 AM
stevelam

100% it is. from the very front to the A pillar it is the same. thats whay my jp lip fit and it was for a coupe same with my front headlight overlays. plus i heard this statement from a car show when the car was released on at the big car show in the U.S, even my mud guards for the front was a part from the coupe as it stated on the box but the rears said convertible.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:24 PM
cvipgo
Banned

The price I was quoted was $950.00, plus tax (installed). He claimed there is presently only one in all of Canada. I believe that IF they do not use the coupe windshield. There is probably not much more one hundred G37 'verts in all of Canada.

Anyway, it is going to cost me $250.00. I have to file this under, it is what it is.

Shane D
get a quote from : All Star Auto Glass
I had one replaced on my coupe for $2oo from All Star Glass with life time warranty.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Shane D
Premier Member

Question

Originally Posted by cvipgo
get a quote from : All Star Auto Glass
I had one replaced on my coupe for $2oo from All Star Glass with life time warranty.
Did you have rain sensing wipers?

Shane D
Old 07-10-2011, 11:44 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You could always move to Florida. There is zero deductible for replacing windshields here. I've been here almost 9 years and never have had to have one replaced. When I lived in Kansas it was almost a yearly occurrence. I did have a chip repaired on the g's windshield for free, but that's usually the case everywhere, since it saves the insurance company the price of a windshield.
Tom
Old 07-10-2011, 12:20 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Did you have rain sensing wipers?

Shane D
I get $322.25 quote for G37 Convertible with AAA discount from All Star Glass in Calif.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Arrow

Wow, that is cheap!
My price is $250.00 regardless, so I guess the point is moot. The weird thing is that I never heard a thing, such as a rock hitting glass.

Shane D

PS: While investigating the TON of windshield outfits in Ontario, there were a lot that would cover your deductible up to $500.00!

PPS: Could only find one web site in Canada that gave automated quotes without having to talk to a salesman. It came out as:
1) 2009 G37 coupe - $693.72 installed
2) 2009 G37 'vert - $1,186.00 installed??????
Old 07-10-2011, 03:48 PM
cvipgo
Banned

The weird thing is that I never heard a thing, such as a rock hitting glass.

Shane D
Not only cheap they come and replace it at your home or work...don't need to go to shop. It takes about 90 minutes.

Windshields always get hit by small rocks and gets sand pits .. that's what happened to my coupe's windshield and the crack developed and propagated...to top. It's illegal to drive with cracked windshield in Cali. so I had to have it replaced and cost being reasonable... Insurance doesn't need to be involved.

Quick Reply: Windshields are expensive!