Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Tinting windows soon.. quick question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 05:57 PM
mjfish93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinting windows soon.. quick question

So I live in NJ and I have never tinted my windows. I got my G a few months ago and know that it will look hot with tints. My only fear is getting pulled over though, so I was thinking of going with 35 tints. Do you guys think this is too light? And also anyone here from NJ with tints? I am really scared about getting pulled over with them on. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:57 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just do what you want. Quickly, before Chekov tells you that you are a baby killer for having tints!
Old 05-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Conn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never had tinted windows either before my G. Got 35 and liking it mucho
Old 05-01-2011, 06:51 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

mjfish93, what color is your interior? that has a lot to do with how "dark" tint will look. My interior is graphite (the black leather). I'm also from Jersey, around bridgewater/somerville (central NJ) and i have 5% on my rear window and quarter windows.. i have 35% on the front windows and nothing on the windshield. So far its been a couple of months, and I've not had any problems. I usually drive with my windows half down anyways, but even when my windows are up I don't get any problems. I've driven past plenty of cops and I've realized as long as Im driving responsibly, they usually dont even give me "the look". let me know if you want to see some pics of 35% on the front windows, I'd be happy to share
Old 05-01-2011, 06:58 PM
mjfish93

Yeah I'd love to see some pics! And yeah, I have the same interior. I'm from Monmouth County near Colts Neck and I am just a little scared about the cops. Me and my buddy (he has an M3) are going next weekend are going to the place in Perth Amboy and I'm getting 5 windows done for $135. That a good price? Thanks again for all the help.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ipitythefoo
Just do what you want. Quickly, before Chekov tells you that you are a baby killer for having tints!
Well, at least it shows you’ve read some of my past posts on this subject. At any rate, babies, as well as those who drive at night in NJ, have little to fear from the OP if he installs LEGAL tints, as described below:

New Jersey Window Tint Law | TintCenter Window Tinting

Now I admit that’s a very strict state law indeed, but if he’s concerned about being pulled over, it may be the wise thing to do.

Of course I expect a few posts now on the two main fairy tales told about illegal tints:
1. I can see just fine at night with my illegal tints.
2. I’ve had illegal tints in NJ for years and have never been pulled over.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:17 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

wow, Chekov, you got here faster than I thought you would! As much flaming as you get, I think anyone wanted to avoid cops should really understand your point! Staying legal gives cops no extra reason to pull you over
and I love how people argue the "fairy tales" as you call them haha.
1.) I wish I could defy physics and put a dark film over my eyes and still see 100% the same! That would be pretty awesome! then again, my sunglasses wouldnt do much for me
2.) Anyone who says theyve not been pulled over for illegal tints in NJ might be telling the truth. I personally have illegal front tints and I've never been pulled over for tints! But im not making any claims that I wont be pulled over in the future :P that's just ludicrous.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:36 PM
mjfish93

Hey mystakin, you think you would be able to post those pics? Thanks
Old 05-01-2011, 07:39 PM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mjfish93
Yeah I'd love to see some pics! And yeah, I have the same interior. I'm from Monmouth County near Colts Neck and I am just a little scared about the cops. Me and my buddy (he has an M3) are going next weekend are going to the place in Perth Amboy and I'm getting 5 windows done for $135. That a good price? Thanks again for all the help.
go light, they will harass the **** out of u in monmouth county, especially during the summer. cops in that county suck
Old 05-01-2011, 07:45 PM
john6mt

35% looks pretty dark at dusk but during full sunlight isn't that dark. Brand of tint and it's composition (graphite, ceramic) also play a factor on how dark it is. I've had 35% on all my cars and cops will pull you over especially if it's a nice car and you look younger. If you want to be safe and absolutely don't want to be pulled over, go 20-25 rear and 75% front (it will still prevent the UV harm and reduce heat)
Old 05-01-2011, 07:54 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

just snapped some now for you these i guess would be considered "dusk" shots, so im guessing its the darkest it would look with still a bit of daylight. I would think probability wise, if a cop had to catch you, it would be around dusk or when there is over cast. in bright daylight, the tint barely even looks like tint haha. uploading them now so ill update this post shortly
EDIT:
here is the best one I could get showing the comparison between 35% and 5%

Last edited by mystakin; 05-01-2011 at 08:03 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 05-01-2011, 08:08 PM
mjfish93

Wow man, that's hot. It adds so much to the car and I don't think it's too dark either. Nice car. You think i would be good with the cops with this?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:52 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

First off, Thanks And so far, I've been fine with cops. I take this car to high school with me and cops there are looking just to give out tickets and I've not gotten pulled over for tints yet, knock on wood. I think you'll be fine with 35% in the front for the most part unless a cop is having a bad day and decides to take it out on you. I've come to realize that if you drive responsibly and aren't trying to draw attention to yourself, (going 45 mph in second gear at 6k rpm), cops wont try to ruin your day.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:00 PM
mjfish93

Alright thanks. Last question. I was planning on doing 35s all around. I know the law is no limit on back windows but you think I should go dark or keep it consistent?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:12 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

its really up to personal taste. I didnt like how the quarter windows looked. I wanted them as dark as possible so I went with 5%. I like how it almost matches the black now around the edge of that small window. With that being 5%, 35% on the rear window would look weird so I had that done dark as well. 35% is a bit light for my taste, but anything darker wouldnt work for me personally. I can't see too well out of my side mirrors at night when there are no street lights, so anything darker than 35% would feel too unsafe for me :/

Quick Reply: Tinting windows soon.. quick question