Body Interior Exterior Lighting

NJ tint laws limit me

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 12:47 AM
mystakin
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NJ tint laws limit me

so i finally went ahead and got a FEW of my windows tinted. here in nj, front windows cannot be tinted at all. its terrible. however, the backs can be as dark as you want and i went with what i thought looked the best.. 5% sides, 20% back. i got it done from autocreations which is a small family run shop and it seems like a very good job. i dont see any air bubbles or any creases, and the back window was done all in one piece. they use johnson film and quoted me for $100. i thought it was a bit low, but then again ive gotten all my cars done from there. from what i can tell, the johnson film looks very similar to factory tint from the inside, and is a nice pure black from the outside. here is a pic from a side shot.

now my question to you all is, what do you think about 35% in the front? id like to get some opinions on this subject, especially from jersey drivers. any of you been hassled for 35% in the front? i know 20% is way too dark for the front and its not like i have the money to keep paying for tickets. plus this car is my daily and i see a cop or two every day. anyone have pics of 35% on the front and darker on the back? just want to see how it would come out before i spend more money on something that will only cost me even more money!
thanks guys, i know this is a lot of questions but it would really help me make an educated decision.. see how much i trust you guys?!
Old 07-16-2010, 07:37 AM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i got 5% on back windshield and 20% on fronts and they never hassle me.. and i travel in freehold
Old 07-16-2010, 08:41 AM
marcelo19lp
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, Iam still trying to get tinted, but this Jersey tint law is so stupid. I must see like 8 cops per day, towns were there is no action, so cops just bored out of their mind. I'm also in the same shoe. I was thinking to finally do 35% all around. How much are tint tickets?
Old 07-16-2010, 09:39 AM
hufington

I am in West Orange/Maplewood area and have 15% on the rear windows no tint on the front sides. My previous G35x had 35 overall/20in the rear and I've never got bothered. But lately, I hear that a lot of people get fix tickets and go to inspection. So if you have other mods and think that inspection would be a hassle, don't tint the fronts 35% because with the 5%/20% combo, they would look darker than 35%. NJ is Ticketsville right now and if they don't catch you speeding or moving illegally, they might wanna go for the tints. It is also about how lucky/unlucky you are.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:52 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

my luck is garbage! i go to somerville high and there is a cop outside the school hiding everyday just waiting for one of us to mess up. we have open lunches so we usually find one or two cops hiding in a parking lot or in a concealed driveway, its awful. i hear nj is getting cracked down for tints recently, and with my luck ill get hit within the month. maybe ill wait till next year when im in college out of state... like PA!
Old 07-16-2010, 01:00 PM
marcelo19lp
Registered Member

How you get the medical note stating that you have to have tinted windows, due to your condition?
Old 07-16-2010, 01:48 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

Originally Posted by marcelo19lp
How you get the medical note stating that you have to have tinted windows, due to your condition?
what are you talking about? im not sure where you are coming from, but in nj you can have the back sides and the back window as dark as you want.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:01 PM
marcelo19lp
Registered Member

OOPSSSSS I meant the whole car, including the front. I saw an application online at theh NJ DMV.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:14 PM
hufington

[QUOTE=marcelo19lp;2938004]How you get the medical note stating that you have to have tinted windows, due to your condition?[/QUOTE

You can get the application from the DMV and a dermatologist has to fill it out and then DMV approves it. It's a real hassle.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:19 PM
hufington

Originally Posted by mystakin
my luck is garbage! i go to somerville high and there is a cop outside the school hiding everyday just waiting for one of us to mess up. we have open lunches so we usually find one or two cops hiding in a parking lot or in a concealed driveway, its awful. i hear nj is getting cracked down for tints recently, and with my luck ill get hit within the month. maybe ill wait till next year when im in college out of state... like PA!
in PA? It's even worse there. The limit is 70% which is basically like OEM color. They even give tiny tickets to out of state drivers in Harrisburg. I wouldn't push my luck if I were you.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Gosh, I feel so sorry for you guys in NJ. Here they are, trying to save you from killing yourself some night and you think it’s a terrible thing. What a bummer (is that term still used?).
Old 07-16-2010, 03:59 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

can PA or any state give me a tint ticket if im registered in NJ? jw
Old 07-24-2010, 10:58 AM
DrErn

I have 50% on all the sides and back with the graphite interior with no problems from the cops. I live in south Jersey and my last car, same tint, 10 years, never been stopped. Your back is so dark that even if you go 50% on the fronts, your gonna get stopped. With it all the same (50%), it doesn't draw attention to the tint because its uniform. And with the dark interior it looks plenty dark from the outside.....you can't make out a face on the inside. Will it keep your car super cool when the sun is beating, ehh, I'd prefer 35% all around, but we're in Jersey. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:09 AM
MSCA
Banned

I'm from NY (close to the NJ border) and my buddy is from NJ. He decided to go with 20% all the way around and he tells me that he doesn't get hassled by the cops. He does have to remove the tint on the front side windows to pass NJ state inspection though (we have no such problem in NY), so every couple of years he pays to have the tint removed/replaced.

BTW, I think it looks terrible to have dark tint on the back window and quarter windows if you leave the front side windows untinted. If I lived in NJ and was worried about cops/fines, I'd simply tint the back window and leave all the sides untinted. At least it will look uniform from the sides that way...
Old 07-24-2010, 11:17 AM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
I'm from NY (close to the NJ border) and my buddy is from NJ. He decided to go with 20% all the way around and he tells me that he doesn't get hassled by the cops. He does have to remove the tint on the front side windows to pass NJ state inspection though (we have no such problem in NY), so every couple of years he pays to have the tint removed/replaced.

BTW, I think it looks terrible to have dark tint on the back window and quarter windows if you leave the front side windows untinted. If I lived in NJ and was worried about cops/fines, I'd simply tint the back window and leave all the sides untinted. At least it will look uniform from the sides that way...
Or you could man up and go 20% sides and 5% rear .. I got 20% on sides and I kinda regret it because it isn't dark enough for me Still looks real nice though and I guess the cops think so to cause I haven't been stopped a month strong babbyy

Quick Reply: NJ tint laws limit me