Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Scratch repair on 2009 "Scratch Shield" paint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 06:46 PM
fadingsignal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratch repair on 2009 "Scratch Shield" paint?

Hey everyone. I have a 2009 G37S Coupe, one of the years that had the unfortunate "Scratch Shield" clear coat. I was recently keyed, bad enough that I need real paint repair (wet sanding won't work).

I've been looking for a body shop in Los Angeles or Orange County that is familiar with this Scratch Shield clear coat, but nobody seems to know what I'm talking about. I have the Technical Service Bulletin from Infiniti with the list of approved manufacturers and materials, but the guys at the shops think I'm nuts when I start trying to tell them about it and just say "Yeah well that's probably spray wax, we work on BMWs, Lexus, etc just bring it in".

I've been researching for days on various forums/google, etc and cannot for the life of me find anyone who has had paint work done on their '09 G37 Coupe. Surely there is someone out there who has had paint work done??

What I'm trying to figure out is if I need to bother with finding a place that follows exact Infiniti procedure, or if standard repair/clearcoat will be fine. My car is black, and it's a lease with 2 years left, so I'm not necessarily concerned about the long term 5+ year effects.

Help!
Old 04-30-2010, 07:58 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have much to offer other than "LOL". Self healing clearcoats have been used for years; it shouldn't sound weird to any half decent body shop.

Have you tried calling the dealer and asking which body shop they recommend?

edit - Actually, I had to have the rear quarter panel on my coupe repainted because someone scraped me in a parking lot. I didn't say anything about the paint, but the invoice from the body shop said something about "PPG SCRATCH SHIELD" when referring to the paint.

Here's a service bulletin from PPG that talks about how to deal with scratch shield repairs: http://corporateportal.ppg.com/NR/rd...chShieldNA.pdf

Last edited by JohnEnglish; 04-30-2010 at 08:03 PM.