Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

[Project]Ironman Digital

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Vexamus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[Project]Ironman Digital

So the ironman mod is pretty popular among the g37 crew but I want to take it one step further. As you can see the best choice is to go with white LEDs so as not to get messed with from the fuzz.

so my goal is to create a control module to control multi-color LED's. For example my current plans are the following. A control module using inputs from the fuse box will switch a logic IC that will actuate relays controlling the lights...

So for instance, when only my parking lights are on such as in both of these pictures, my lighting will glow a bright red. But when I turn my headlights on, they'll all turn white to remain street legal. Additionally, I'd like to have them all turn yellow and blink when I'm in reverse.. I'll also have a user selectible demo mode that will cycle the lights in specific patterns. The lights will be relay controlled for the most part but the demo mode will change the circuits over to PWM(pulse width modulation) so that I can fade the LED's. The parts are relatively cheap and the programming pretty simple.

Here goes nothing, stay tuned....
Old 09-09-2008, 07:21 PM
chris9012

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good luck its creative but gay cuz the base idea of ironman isnt urs. or make the thread a different name not ironman digital like u created ironman and updating it

Last edited by chris9012; 09-10-2008 at 01:27 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Dipstix6996

Sounds like fun
Old 09-09-2008, 07:23 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds interesting..
Old 09-09-2008, 07:23 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
igor chime in here
Old 09-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Vexamus

never said once that it was my original idea. Nobody's creating tutorials so I'll design a system myself.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds pretty cool... "Ironman" Mod is not copyrighted BTW... More Options = BETTER FOR US IMO!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:37 PM
DrJones

Does sound interesting. Looking forward to seeing pics when avail.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Vexamus

Originally Posted by gamedog
Sounds pretty cool... "Ironman" Mod is not copyrighted BTW... More Options = BETTER FOR US IMO!!!
That's kind of what I was thinking. This mod is known ubiquitously as "the ironman mod" which is why I called it Ironman Digital, because it's a digitally controlled ironman mod.

It's my intent to use this experience to write a good tutorial for everyone and share the knowledge as I haven't found any documentation on how to do this. I didn't feel like re-inventing the wheel and I am under the impression there are folks who make money off of doing this. That to me is fine, but I will post my entire design and parts list once completed.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Vexamus
That's kind of what I was thinking. This mod is known ubiquitously as "the ironman mod" which is why I called it Ironman Digital, because it's a digitally controlled ironman mod.

It's my intent to use this experience to write a good tutorial for everyone and share the knowledge as I haven't found any documentation on how to do this. I didn't feel like re-inventing the wheel and I am under the impression there are folks who make money off of doing this. That to me is fine, but I will post my entire design and parts list once completed.
Handle your biniss man...
Old 09-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Isn't there some sort of rave looking light additions someone made to the 350z's headlights, i saw one youtube video of those things changing like 15 different colors, out of just as many different light outputs.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:17 PM
vinnys coupe

it does seem like a cool idea, i would like to c the finished product
Old 09-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Comatose

Feel free to call them torpedo lights https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthr...hlight=torpedo

Anyway, the idea sounds great.. just remember to take lotsa pics!

I think I posted this question in another thread, but for the current ironman modded lights, how well do they compare to the DRL's used by audi? are they anywhere as bright?
The led's used in the infiniti taillights, the audi drl's, etc, I believe are luxeon led's -- they're not cheap compared to your typical run of the mill led. Theres also alot of other competitors such as cree, etc, but it'd be nice to use some quality ones that will last.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:46 PM
DevilDog_37

haha funny i was kinda thinkin of this idea today...i was thinking how cool it would be because it would be street legal...haha...but cant wait to see it man...good luck.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Vexamus

So now my mind has been crunching like crazy. Here are some of the ideas I've had. Let's just say for the sake of a feeble attempt at keeping things simple we're only dealing with two colors, but instead of relays we're going to work with full time PWM on all LED's and they will all be large transistor controled Luxeon two color or dual packaged modules...

What I'd like to try to do is tap into the security system, specifically two parts, first where it flashes the lights when you lock or unlock the system, secondly the RFID input signal and somehow transform this into a logical 1 or 0 for the control module. Now some practical applications...
  • When you walk up to the car with the infiniti pickle in your pocket, as soon as you come in range and the security system authorizes the external controls, the tail lights, ironman lights and city light(same LED type as ironman lights) all fade in and glow red. Once you get INSIDE the car which is a separate state of the 3 sensor system, the lights fade out... Say, 1 second fades each way again for the sake of simplicity.
  • When the car is running and the headlights are off, if you get out with the key in your pocket(like you should), the ironman lights will fade on red.
  • If the car is running and the headlights are on, then the ironman lights will be on but white, when you leave the car with the key, they will fade from white to red and back again once you return to the car
  • When you turn the car off and get out, you'll then be in the state mentioned in the first bullet, the lights will be on and red. When you lock, they will fade from white to red twice and then turn off and set with a time to not respond to the key input again until it goes low again(i.e. you step out of range). So if you just stand there the lights won't stay on after locking the vehicle using either the door control or the remote.
  • If you attempt to lock the keys in the car then the lights will throb dark to red quickly until you remove the key from the car or some predetermined amount of time passes...

These are just examples nothing I have set planned but it's something I'm going to be shooting for if I can't get into the car's software enough to be able to turn the key input into digital output if it's not already.

For bullet number one you could even include something like what some other car's have which is lights under the mirrors lighting the area in front of the door, they could come on individually depending upon which sensor is activated. The rear sensor could fade on the tail lights and the reverse lights or something. Again, just ideas I'm tossing around.

Quick Reply: [Project]Ironman Digital